Why do we buy things with Ferrari on them? | FerrariChat

Why do we buy things with Ferrari on them?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Husker, Oct 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I have a Rolex, but I don't need a "Rolex" car or pair of shoes. The watch on its own is fine.

I wear Ralph Lauren shirts, but I don't need a Ralph Lauren watch just because I really like Ralph Lauren shirts that I wear.

I really like my Toyota, but I don't need a Toyota watch, because I like my Rolex watch, and I don't need Toyota shirts, because I like my Ralph Lauren shirts.

So why is it that we buy Ferrari watches, shirts, and shoes? Do we have to have these things to be all in on our Ferrari car?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Il Tifoso, Gary Sandberg and Sammi like this.
  2. Tegethoff

Tegethoff Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2014
    Los Feliz
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I have a friend that used to sell aftermarket wheels, he would take a sample of each wheel model to the show and then pack the rest of his van with t-shirts. His reasoning was not everybody wants a $4,000 set of wheels but everybody can buy a t-shirt.

It would not surprise me if Ferrari branded accessories actually generate more cash income than Ferrari automobiles.

3. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I don't.

AtomicPunk88, sisiay, ZF123 and 10 others like this.
  4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I wear Ferrari gear in the hopes that it will direct any idle chit-chat towards cars and driving them and away from listening to people drone on about their jobs, medical issues, grandkids, etc. :D
    T

5. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I remember that illustration from an article about Ferrari bling in The Wall Street Journal.

VAF84 likes this.
  6. Big Swole

Big Swole Karting

Jun 20, 2020
    Metro Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    David
    Why ask "Why"??

The answers are endless depending on the person answering.

I don't own any "gear" with it on there..Just the car... "why"? Because it was a childhood dream. Same as many / most.

jm2 and ScottJon like this.
  7. VelocityTexas

VelocityTexas Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2019
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    I have had a real nice Ferrari cap for a while now and didn't wear it much because I felt odd not having a Ferrari and wearing the hat. Now that I have a 458 I feel more odd wearing it. It's really odd that I still want more Ferrari branded stuff that I wont wear because It'll feel odd.

8. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I find your post...odd. :eek::D

9. pdxjim488

pdxjim488 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2018
    I do not wear anything with a F logo. Only place I might wear something like that is in a lodge in BC where people like to powder ski.

10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Well, don't forget the team. The same question could be asked why does somebody own a Laker Jersey? A Yankees hat? A Cowboys mug?

11. ScottJon

ScottJon Karting

Jul 14, 2018
    Hollywood. Ca. USA
    Full Name:
    Scott Leibow
    I have a hat because the dealer gave it to me when I bought the car. :)

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

12. VelocityTexas

VelocityTexas Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2019
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    Funny as the last tractor I bought they gave me a hat too. It was a New Holland built, where else, Italy.

ScottJon likes this.
  13. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    exactly

14. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I don't really like wearing logos of any kind but I don't see anything wrong with a subtle hat or watch now and then.

It is comical to see the guys show up at Cars and Coffee wearing numerous Ferrari pieces from head to toe. Think they know people make fun of it when they walk away? :)

thorn, Altoria F, imahorse and 5 others like this.
  15. ScottJon

ScottJon Karting

Jul 14, 2018
    Hollywood. Ca. USA
    Full Name:
    Scott Leibow

My daughter and I go to a C&C in Malibu on Sunday’s. We always point out the people like that to each other and giggle.

Texas Forever, Husker and HotShoe like this.
  16. ScottJon

ScottJon Karting

Jul 14, 2018
    Hollywood. Ca. USA
    Full Name:
    Scott Leibow
    You will have a free hat collection one day

17. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Your post really is true. I used to have a red 348, and my wife bought me a red Ferrari jacket for Xmas. I never really wanted to wear it because I didn't want to advertise that I had a Ferrari. And when I sold the 348, I didn't really want to wear it because I didn't own a Ferrari any more.

sisiay and Texas Forever like this.
  18. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    pics or it didn't happen! :D

19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua

I avoid donning a Ferrari uniform when showing up at automotive events, which said - folks that love and passionate about the marque never bothered me. I just chalk it up as similar to folks that paint themselves with their favorite team iconography at a sporting event.

Il Tifoso, MalcQV and Husker like this.
  20. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

To prop up RACE stock.

21. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Lmao!!! Given the current state of their F1 team I don’t think anyone wants to wear their gear.

Riccardo Del Bello and paulchua like this.
  22. Sammi

Sammi Karting

Aug 8, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Samantha (Sammi)
    This post made me laugh, I was oddly just thinking the same thing. I bought a Ferrari phone case, keychain and coffee mug. Something about it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. But I’ve never had the desire to do so with any other vehicle purchases. Could it be something to do with the prancing horse, or scuderia shield? There is something eye catching about the logos. Also, because it is something more exclusive you see a person donning - it could spark conversation with those of the same interest in the vehicle brand. Not like people are out there looking for a typical Honda baseball cap or Honda keychain and going to town for hours on how great a Honda car is - for instance. :)

paulchua and tomc like this.
  23. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'm not buying any more Ferrari logo clothes and accessories. I got burned so badly back in the 1980's when I bought all the Yugo gear. :(

24. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Back before I bought my first Ferrari, but was a long time F1 fan, someone pointed at my Ferrari hat and asked whether I owned one. I said no, just a fan, and he immediately snorted something about being a poser with no right to wear it etc etc etc. I don’t recall his exact rant.

I just calmly pointed to his shirt and asked “So how long have you played for the Steelers?”

25. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I do have a few team shirts that I wear to races. Specifically I have a few Risi Competizione shirts and hats. Big fan of the team, and I look at it as a way to express support for them at the track.

I also have a few vintage team shirts that I wear to car shows or historic events. A couple of my favorites are my John Player Special Team Lotus Shirt, and my Perry Ellis America Scania Racing team Shirt. And I grabbed a Lotus F1 shirt before the team reverted to Renault.

Texas Forever, paulchua and Maine57S1 like this.