Replacing rubber boot on ball joint...is it worth it? Anyone did this before on a 308 | FerrariChat

Replacing rubber boot on ball joint...is it worth it? Anyone did this before on a 308

Discussion in '308/328' started by Nuno Andrade, Oct 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nuno Andrade

Nuno Andrade Karting

Aug 24, 2019
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Nuno Andrade
    During my bushings works I noticed that one of my upper ball joints rubber boot is damaged. Superformance sell the rubber boot ...versus buying the complete ball joint. Does anyone did this before? What is the procedure?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I’ve done it. Its easy.

I removed the ball joint from the car using a pickle fork since I didn’t care about ruining the boot. I inspected the ball joint and it was in good shape. I cleaned the old grease out as best I could and repacked it with Red Line synthetic grease. Getting the new boot on is a bit of a wrestling match but quite doable.

Nuno Andrade likes this.
  3. Nuno Andrade

Nuno Andrade Karting

Aug 24, 2019
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Nuno Andrade
    Brian, I ordered the boot already but I couldnt find lock rings/springs....what did you use to tight the rubber boot?

4. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I reused the old one. I had no hesitation doing this as it is not a wear part.

5. Jasonious

Jasonious Rookie

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Any idea how long the boot was damaged? Any chance water or dirt got under the boot?

6. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Heat the knuckle with a heat gun, put a nut on to protect the threads, tap it out.

7. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Hmmm...I wouldn't use a pickle fork to remove a ball joint was going to be re-used. But, as I have often said, we each do what we're 'comfortable' doing! :)

8. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Yeah, I guess so.

My narrowest pickle fork stays tight to the stud so doesn't really touch much of the ball itself. Well, at least it didn't damage it if it did touch.

As for the condition of the old boot after removal, that is another matter.

9. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Nuno,

I've replaced my ball joints, and still have the old ones - retention springs intact. I've no idea the best way to remove the springs, but if you need them - let me know; I've no need of them.

Nuno Andrade likes this.
  10. Nuno Andrade

Nuno Andrade Karting

Aug 24, 2019
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Nuno Andrade
    I was the one damaging it upon removal

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat