100k over for 812 gts | Page 2 | FerrariChat

100k over for 812 gts

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by IloveGT, Oct 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Yes, I think the consensus is clear! thank you very much. I needed some senses because I got so excited.

2. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    thats actually the opposite of what Ferrari has said... many more 812 SF produced

3. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I’m currently on my second trip to Italy from the UK since I picked up our GTS in July. I have lots of experience in many Ferrari’s, many of which I still own, including the awesome and wonderful Speciale. The GTS is beyond simple words. It is one of the best cars Ferrari have ever made and better than our coupe (which I will keep because we TM’d it). The GTS I will probably have to very reluctantly sell. I will do a longer write up soon but for now suffice to say the GTS is utterly wonderful and a better car than the S Aperta all things considered. It is sooooo good!

of2worlds, ppg70, RamsHmb and 2 others like this.
  4. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    maximum output is about 2200 V12 engines per year, no chance it will make it to 6000 units, zero chance

of2worlds and ROMO like this.
  5. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Wife likes GTS. No brainer....

IloveGT and Thecadster like this.
  6. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    “One of the best cars Ferrari have ever made and better than our coupe...” the coupe you will keep...and sell the GTS...because you just have to for some esoteric reason...
    I’m sorry Lukeylikey, you are indeed a legend on this forum, but your words ring hollow to me on this one.

sampelligrino likes this.
  7. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    now you finally under the true root cause of the dilemma. my boss likes it, but my brain is telling me wait, like all of you saying the same thing. lol.

8. ROMO

ROMO Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 18, 2008
    WASHINGTON DC
    Full Name:
    ROMO
    812 GTS at MSRP or 458 SA? Or find a lower mileage F12 and not a tdf? I've been told that the GTS will have a 2-3 production run which would then give you an option for the last 812 VS/GTO depending on your history with Ferrari.

of2worlds likes this.
  9. KenU

KenU Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Look forward to your write up. Sounds like the 812SF is the keeper of the 2. Is it primarily because it’s TM’d? Very curious to know why you’d sell “one of the best cars Ferrari have ever made” amongst your collection? Your comments suggest THAT would the obvious keeper but I’m sure you’ll elaborate.

10. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    #35 Lukeylikey, Oct 8, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
    The reason is pretty simple, I have had four cars delivered this year, two of which are Tailor Made - the 812 Coupe and a Pista Spider. That gives me six F cars (what a wonderful thing!) I also have an SF90 arriving early next year and hope to be able to get an 812TDF GTS in time. I’ve done over 3k mikes in the GTS and should be able to sell it without too much loss and move the money to the SF90. If I sell the 812 Coupe, not only is it very special because of what we did with the car (old thread on that), I don’t see the point in netting a £100k loss on an 8 month old car with 1,000 miles on it. So that one I’ll keep. It’s still an awesome car and hopefully it will be joined with a TM 812 ‘TDF’ open car :) Even if I don’t get that car, I have the Pista for open duties so, not too hard-done-by!

Approaching it from another angle, why is the GTS better than the coupe? The sound is different, marginally quieter but really beautiful tonally. It is still loud though and at full chat it is scintillating. People worried about the GPF but I would choose the GTS’s noise over the Coupe’s, it has an evocative old-time sound that I love. I worried that the car would lack rigidity with the roof cut off but not at all, it is stiffer than the Pista Spider. This also means that if I can get one, the TDF version should be brilliant. You lose some, well, quite a lot of luggage room, which is a negative, but being able to put the roof down on a V12 is a seminal experience, especially when the driving dynamics are barely different to the closed version. It turns the car into something very special indeed. What I have really learned this trip is that the 812’s driving dynamics are absolutely top drawer - which obviously applies to the coupe too. I am a mid V8 devotee. I love the driving dynamics and balance in a mid engined car. On a previous trip over the alps with the GTS I had felt that the car suffered dynamically with its weight under braking into mountain hairpins, especially compared with our Pista Spider over the same roads. Not sure what has happened (likely brakes now well bedded in) but on this trip, my familiarity with the car and probably driving with some good friends rather than on my own, I’ve upped the pace and done many more bends of all shapes and speeds in the Alps and then through the Tuscan hills. The RWS makes the car feel so agile and really sharp and tightening bends are dispatched beautifully. The Pista is slightly quicker but the 812 is a bullet on the straights, despite its weight. The 812 is far away better than the F12 in the handling department and these roads would have been much more difficult and less enjoyable in an F12, great though that car is. I think it’s the RWS in the main but it transforms the car, which now has hardly any enjoyment demerit for me over the mid V8s. They are different but each does a wonderful thing. Just a great car.

I also think you have the ‘Legend’ bit mixed up a little too... (but thanks) :)

of2worlds, ppg70, Caeruleus11 and 8 others like this.
  11. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    These guys have the value proposition all wrong. It’s not what car you can get with the money - it’s ONLY 100K to make the wife happy. Bargain.

Oh does this question involve a car ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rob5819, Thecadster and IloveGT like this.
  12. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
  13. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I trust Hartley.... more like 3700 Pistas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Avia11 and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  14. ForeverCar

ForeverCar Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2017
    That’s a lot of Pista. I look forward to finding a good one in the coming few years!

plastique999 likes this.
  15. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    $100K over on a production car is not workable. Its exciting to get a new Ferrari and a V12 at that but in 18 months or less you'll wonder what the heck you were thinking. Not really a good idea for a new numbered car either. MSRP max.

gliazzurri and IloveGT like this.
  16. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    #41 IloveGT, Oct 8, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
    yes, I completely agree. Plus I fell for my wife once. The FF was supposedly hers, but it has been always me driving it when we go out. I gotta pick something I like more. hahaha.

I think for SA, 50k premium is perfect! I really regretted not taking that 2015 blu pozzi SA.

PTG1 likes this.
  17. sandisk

sandisk Karting

Jul 16, 2013
    Sounds like an amazing trip - are you doing this as part of a club?

18. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    No, a group of friends, we organise our own, pretty easy to do. It’s a once or twice a year thing.

of2worlds likes this.
  19. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I believe that number is total, i.e coupè and spiders.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

20. gliazzurri

gliazzurri Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    Absolutely. This is absurd!!!

LARRYH likes this.
  21. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    No update on expected production numbers but it definitely will not be a limited car. Our expected allocation run is sold out.

of2worlds likes this.
  22. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    I couldn’t agree with you more on the comparison. Owning both concurrently does really help to show case the differences. I also think the GTS is a prettier car. I know many of won’t buy the argument on sound but I absolutely prefer the GTS to SF. With that said, I don’t think you can go wrong with your choice.

23. Gianfranco341

Gianfranco341 Karting

Sep 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Gianfranco
    Please consider time of production : early 2018-mid 2020 with a factory lockdown in between for SF . You have to consider 1000 pieces a year . We can consider a total number of 2500 . The production line 12 V is mainly used for GTS since mid of 2020 . You will see for how long it will remain . Yes the will make the VS version mean time . But you will see up to end 2023

24. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Essentially 812 coupe production was slated to end in April/May 2020 and 812 GTS production was supposed to start in April 2020. This was pushed back. The dealers have allocations for 2 years, through 2022 with concurrent 812 TDF and 812 TDF /GTS production slated to start in January. Total production run of 812 GTS is 2 years and was delayed by Covid. Very few people got 2020 812 GTS. Mine which will be delivered next week is a 2021. I think a total of 1500 812 GTS pieces will be made based on estimates from 2 dealers, so probably closer to 1800.

of2worlds likes this.
  25. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I would go for the 458 SA and order a GTS the allocation to delivery time will probably be reduced from next year. Good luck with your choice though, either will be epic
    Sent from my SM-F916B using FerrariChat.com mobile app