Purchase experience with Ferrari of Newport Beach (split from Ferrari of San Antonio thread) . | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Purchase experience with Ferrari of Newport Beach (split from Ferrari of San Antonio thread) .

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Ray Smith, Sep 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I guess what I don't understand is why did you buy the car.... if you wanted the service records before the purchase and they don't give them to you then you have a decision buy the car without service records or find another car.

Regarding the car cover I would make sure you put it in the deal ... something like the car the window sticker all service records car cover and battery charger etc... the car business is pretty tough business that's for sure ...

JAM1 likes this.
  2. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    Is there any more evidence of the rollback crime?
    That’s a very very big accusation to make. If you can prove then that’s a big issue.

what does the sales contract say about service records?

was the actual mileage when bought matching the sales contract (so the 125ish mile discrepancy is only the month prior service record?)

I guess I’m lost in understanding... are you claiming the service record mileage is correct so in one month someone drove it thousands of miles and rolled them back?

Thecadster likes this.
  3. tstuli

tstuli Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2018
    NC
    Since you have a X431, you should check the mileage counter on the transmission computer. It'll show distance traveled in each gear over its life.

Would be curious if it matches the instrument cluster?

Sent from my SM-A515W using Tapatalk

Statler likes this.
  4. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith

Thank you for the suggestion. I will do just that.

Ray

5. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Good, go buy a car from them...

6. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Well, the good news is that F-Chat is not as busy as some other on-line forums. So very few will ever see the "story".

Ray

7. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    you’re thread is the 3rd listed option on Google for simply searching “purchase experience Ferrari of Newport”

8. MoreGarages413

MoreGarages413 Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    Suburban Philadelphia PA
    Full Name:
    Jay B
    My point is not to be negative - only to point out that you are where you are in this deal and you should go enjoy the car and drive the heck out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    My bad. And you are right. I will take the necessary precautions and drive the hell out of it...

10. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Serious accusations. Of all the people on Fchat to have a problem with a Ferrari franchise dealership it would have to be Ray. Sorry, but put me in the “thoroughly not surprised” category. That said, best wishes on a fair and equitable resolution. You should not have much difficulty, as you have demonstrated yourself to be both reasonable and fair-minded in your short, but eventful, time on this forum.

wrs, jcurry and Jaguar36 like this.
  11. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    car salesman is car salesman. period.

Ray Smith likes this.
  12. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Ray, it appears your real gripe is that Ferrari of Newport Beach won’t release the prior service records to you and based on that you are conjuring up all kinds of “what if’s” relating to potential lack of servicing, real or imagined. If that is really what this is all about then I have to say that you really dont come off well.

First, it appears that was the deal and you are trying to remake it. If it was not the deal then you should not have bought the car without the records.

Second, I am very familiar with Ferrari dealers not providing service records of prior owners. That is very common (probably the norm—they will argue privacy concerns regarding prior owners) and it is what Ferrari of Ft. Lauderdale did to me when I bought my car. But the point is, while I was not happy, I made an informed decision and closed anyways (after I had an independent PPI done to verify the condition of the car).

Having dealt with Ferrari of Newport Beach a number of times I would say that they are reasonable people and generally try to make their customers happy. I am really not seeing anything in this thread that would cause me to reconsider my opinion.

13. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Not wanting to excuse anything, but one thing that surprises people is that many franchise exotic car dealerships are operating on a proverbial shoe string. You initially think of a Ferrari dealership as being the top of the food chain. They aren't. If they are swiping the car cover to turn a few hundies, that tells you all you need to know. These dealerships are often located in obscure, lower-rent type places, and with very little actual inventory. The dealerships are often VERY low volume. So it's not beneath a Ferrari dealership to be chintzy with you to save a few dollars. The owner probably ain't exactly living in Beverly Hills.

14. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    #39 RonH, Oct 7, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
    Husker, while that may be true of some dealerships, it is certainly not the case here. The subject of this thread is Ferrari of Newport Beach. They are located on some of the most expensive commercial real estate in Newport Beach (right across the street from the high end Balboa Bay Club) and Newport Beach has some of the most expensive real estate in the US. They are owned by the same people that own Ferrari of San Diego. If you check they also have an A+ BBB rating.

Since every other car in Newport Beach is a red Ferrari, I would suggest their volume is extremely high, not low.

I dealt with them for a number of years and never had a bad experience and they always did things top flight. As a matter of full disclosure I no longer have them service my car because I prefer the personal service provided by Randy Tippets of RMT, but that should not detract from a fair and balanced view of FNB and I would certainly not hesitate to use them again or buy a car from them.

ShineKen, smg2 and LARRYH like this.
  15. pdxjim488

pdxjim488 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2018
    My only experience with the dealer was positive. Did an out of state trade, sight unseen, and no surprises. I looked at the "we owe you" page before signing, everything was as stated upon delivery.

16. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    I have only purchased one from Newport beach. The process was straight forward. They took care of the issues after the car was delivered without me having to say anything. But my sales, George, left the dealership and started his own high end used car show. In comparison, I did find myself enjoyed working with George much more than Chris Pullis, who never followed up on my inquiry twice knowing that I was their customer as well as BH. I still remember one time Chris approached me when I was just visiting the store while staying at Pelican Hills, he bluntly asked me how many Ferrari do I own 2 mins after meeting me.

17. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Any update?

18. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    bwahahahahaha i know its an old thread but this guy is really accusing Ferrari of Newport for rolling back the odometer 125 miles, based on time of sale a receipt from 3 months before? are you kidding me? They obviously just didn't look at the odometer when they wrote the mileage in, like anyone would roll an odometer 125 miles ...you've lost all credibility here buddy!

19. mcavinder

mcavinder Karting

Oct 29, 2020
    Sunshine State
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Unfortunately for you Ray, I did see the "story". You offered the car to me last night for $124,995 and never mentioned anything about the odometer issue. I've been dreaming and saving my entire life for my first Ferrari and you try to pawn your crap off on me? Classy.

All: the VIN# is ZFFEW58A770151797 in case you ever see it come up for sale.

anunakki, schwoo, WATSON and 4 others like this.
  20. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    so confused with this thread. the first post started with a quote out of nowhere. were a number of posts deleted?

21. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Yikes...

WATSON likes this.
  22. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    I suspect Tarek307 was right and it is highly unlikely that the dealership would roll back the odometer to gain 125 miles. So logically a mistake in writing down the correct mileage probably occurred. However the problem here, as mcavinder pointed out, is that the OP has peed in his own pool. From the whole thread it appears the real problem is the dealership would not give the OP prior service records (which from personal experience many Ferrari dealers wont—-annoying i know) so the OP had a melt down and made up a number of car issues that likely didn’t exist. Now he has to live with the fact that we are in the internet age and he tagged his own car.

Flea7, ross, Tarek307 and 1 other person like this.
  23. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    well said

Face76 likes this.
  24. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    He stated he’s dumping it for a C8 anyway. It would be interesting to know what services he recently wrenched on himself though (for the next owner, since this will not be noted in any official dealer paperwork).

Ryan S. likes this.
  25. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    The issue is not the number of miles, but the discrepancy. While the documentation reveals a discrepancy of 125 miles, it may be significantly more. Due to the service records being redacted, it is impossible to tell. It is not clear what has been redacted, merely the personal details of previous owners, or details of the service(s) and customer complaints/issues? If it's more than customer identifying details, the dealership is definitely covering up something, or, at best, presenting the car without full disclosure of known issues. That's pretty dishonest.

The missing cover and other stuff is nickel and dime crap. Buy a new cover, or don't. It's sad that it happened, but it is merely a reflection on the dishonest dealer, certainly not something that takes away from enjoying the car.

Either sue the dealer and stop whining you are not litigious, or enjoy the car and stop complaining.

Ray Smith likes this.