348 To Testarossa Comparrison | FerrariChat

348 To Testarossa Comparrison

Discussion in '348/355' started by oo7ml, Oct 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. oo7ml

oo7ml Karting

Dec 4, 2018
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Hi,

I recently bought a Testarossa and I think it has started a classic Ferrari bug.

I would love to add another classic Ferrari to my garage soon, and I’ve always loved the look of the 348 but I know very little about them.

I’m currently reading up on them and watching tonnes of YouTube videos, however I’d love to hear from someone who has or had a Testarossa before too, and to compare both on the following:

01 - Drive / Feel / Handling

02 - Sound

03 - Reliability

04 - Maintenance Cost

05 - 355: would you opt for a 355 instead, considering I already have a Testarossa?

Any other points would be greatly appreciated too.

2. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I just bought a 355 and used to have a TR. 355 is miles ahead of the 348 at all levels including prices!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oo7ml likes this.
  3. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Oh here we go again Basket...... Sheesh.

rob.kruiswijk and albert328gts like this.
  4. Natkingcolebasket69

#4 Natkingcolebasket69, Oct 6, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
    Sorry but the 348 is inferior to
    The 355...doesn’t make it a bad car it’s just how it is...specially if he has a TR ...the lack of torque and power compared to
    His TR will disappoint him. Not the case with the 355....I’m sure he will be happy with a 348 as well. There is no wrong choice here, still 2 beautiful Ferrari... but it’s like a 512 is better than a TR it just is but doesn’t make it better to/for everyone nor does it make the TR a bad car compared to the 512.

oo7ml likes this.
  5. oo7ml

oo7ml Karting

Dec 4, 2018
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks guys.

I think we can all agree that every newer model is 'technically' a better car... however that does not mean it delivers a better experience, which is far more important than the technical details.

Could anyone comment on the comparison 01 to 04 points I listed. Up until today I thought the 348 had power steering, but I learned today it doesn't.

6. Natkingcolebasket69

1-drive -355 is a go kart, 348 kinda the same
    2-sound TR or 355 are the best not even a debate
    3-reliability 348 is like the tr...355 pretty hit or miss, mostly a lot of issues and not cheap
    4-maintenance 348,tr, 355 in that order.
    5-I fee like 355 complements better the TR

oo7ml likes this.
  7. 0.0.1.99

0.0.1.99 Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2012
    Carolinas
    Full Name:
    Ken
    If you start to seriously consider the 355, remember that there are several variants: the 1995 2.7 Motronic is more similar to the TR and 348. The 1996+ 5.2 and later introduction of the 1998+ F1 paddles are another consideration.

8. oo7ml

oo7ml Karting

Dec 4, 2018
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks.

Besides my personal preference, which is the one to have on a long term basis... the manual or the paddle shift?

9. Natkingcolebasket69

Manual! Paddle sucks in this era. Didn’t age well!

oo7ml and albert328gts like this.
  10. 0.0.1.99

0.0.1.99 Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2012
    Carolinas
    Full Name:
    Ken
    You should drive both before making a decision. If you did not already own a manual then that would be the obvious choice, but you may enjoy the F1. It is a true manual with a computer controlled actuator and very different than today's dual-clutch systems.

11. albert328gts

albert328gts Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Digital or Analog? Digital is a 355, power assisted steering really loses the feel that a 348 Analog has. No comparison hands down the feel of a 348 Analog wins hands down. Drove several before deciding on a 348, now mind you I bought my 348 from Steve Harris Imports along with that got a 1 year factory warranty from them and this was in 2004 and for the price I paid I could of bought any 355 Digital but chose a 348. Ultimately it is somewhat subjective, sure a 355 is slightly faster but not by that much. Stick a Capristo on a 348 and the sound (again subjective) is not comparable but to some much better? Of course this is all IMHO and is subjective to my likes... Drive both, drive a few if you can - you will then make a decision that works best for you. Enjoy your search, that sometimes is 1/4 of the fun :)

Brocco, surfwolf, oo7ml and 1 other person like this.
  12. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    And Albert summed up why I chose the 348. I also like the gauges and interior better.

13. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff

Interesting.

How many miles have you driven each car, and how long have you owned each?

Wondering how long it took you to compile the data.

Brocco likes this.
  14. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    The dude knows nothing about the 348. Just loves to bash them every chance he gets to help mentally validate his own 355 purchase.

15. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Drive both, look both over closely, then decide. When I drove both, the 355 just felt more crisp, alive, vibrant - not sure how to describe it. Yeah, the steering on the 355 is power assisted, but as I get older I am thankful for that. I love 348s, but don't like the rear light treatment - subjective, you may love it. On the TR I love it. The other thing that was obvious driving both was the 355's motor spun up/down just so much more quicker.

Not that this happens often or even ever and I'm not trying to start a debate, but a technician from a reputable dealer told me this when I was looking and it always stuck in my head - loose a belt on the 348 you loose both banks.

The 348 looks similar to the TR, do you want 2 cars that look alike?

The 348 center console integrates into the dashboard much better than the gap on the 308/355/360/etc. It's actually a more modern look, to my eye.

Drive both.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  16. Natkingcolebasket69

#16 Natkingcolebasket69, Oct 7, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
    I don’t call u dude so be respectful . 348 are Nice cars. I never told you the opposite. Not my cup of tea and market wise the 355 are just more loved. You are being too sensitive that’s pretty much it.
    It’s like if someone tells me my FF is the ugliest Ferrari ever I will agree. It looks like a fiat multipla sometimes to me but I won’t deny it’s a great machine. Same thing for the 348- I respect that you adore it, it’s an amazing car but my personal belief is that it’s not as sensational as a 355 and I thought that long before I purchased one. All tastes are acceptable no wrong or right answer.

17. Natkingcolebasket69

I had my TR -2 years, around 3500miles in it.
    I have had my 355 about a couple months and already put 800 miles in it.
    I drove several 348 and quite frankly looks do not appeal to me, the car lacked torque and the sound wasn’t what I was lookin for.
    The issue is that 348 owners for some feel insulted by that. That’s just my personal experience with the model. Doesn’t mean it’s not a great, beautiful car. You are entitled to prefer it that’s totally fine.

18. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Actually the 348 is more go-kart than the 355, the 355 has power steering while the 348 does not.

You definitely got this wrong (unless you meant least expensive to most) - the 348 is not more expensive to maintain than the 355. The 348 does not have header/valve issues. Go ask BLAMPEE what it cost him to repair his 355 when he purchased it, and that before he even sat in the driver seat -$20,000 plus. I don't know of anything in a 348 that would ever give you a bill of $20,000. And he's just one example of many that I have read here about the 355

Brocco, surfwolf and albert328gts like this.
  19. blue90

blue90 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Good luck with the Testarossa that body style is so unique, the tail end looks like a space ship.

My 348 is so fun to drive, all analog right sized for my garage. Given a chance I would buy a 355, and throw on the 348 door strakes, manual steering to enjoy the extra power. Instead of wasting time trying to make the 348 faster or inheriting qualities of the 355. Do the opposite and bring the best 348 qualities to the 355.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

uber2 likes this.
  20. Natkingcolebasket69

I think u got that wrong.
    I said in terms of cost cheapest is 348,tr and 355 last !!

21. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I have read many threads out here where prior 348 owners moved to other models, 360's and 430's etc and while those cars are better whatever that means many miss the 348 experience on twisting roads. The 355 may have the best sound of any Ferrari, sounds better than a 348 no argument there. The engine needs to spin up to get to the power it lacks bottom end power of course, get it 5-7 k and tool around punching the throttle and you will understand. Good luck and there is no actual answer here. That's all I got.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  22. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That's why I clarified with the second sentence in brackets - that you are listing from least expensive to most...which you were.

23. Natkingcolebasket69

Then we all agree;)

24. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Yeah, that's apparent.

Either that, or he grew up with go-karts that had power steering. ;)

And your post inspired me to do a historical search of prior posts, and I see you are correct. Definitely trolling. Why? Who knows.

My Spidey-sense was tingling, but now I definitely know who to add to my "ignore" list.

albert328gts likes this.
  25. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Actually, we don't all agree. There are others (myself included) who not only disagree with your assessment of the 348, but the manner in which you assess it. You are right when you say "to each his own", but there are better ways to get your point across.

bjwhite likes this.