Opinions on future values: 512BBi, Testarossa, GT3RS | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Opinions on future values: 512BBi, Testarossa, GT3RS

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Earlysport, Aug 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Yeah but it was a steel tub V6 " not-a- Ferrari" vs the Ferrari supercar of the time.
    I still dont get it.

2. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Testarossa maint same as Boxer so same cost there with no return. Last choice.
    Any BBs available ?
    Last carburated Ferrari.
    Its the one I chose over cleaner BBi s
    That said real 996gt3rs is a very secial car with the least long term maint.
    Rare here in USA.
    I settled for a 996gt2.
    Very rare also.

Go with heart AND brain: RS.

Ps Im an investor first like you.

3. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA | Austin |Miami
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    the GT3RS or the BBi.

Would count the TR out unless it was a 512TR

4. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Was at the season ending HPDE with the PNWR on Sat. Very similar to every other PNWR track day, i.e. a large number of GT3RS. Great car, they go fast. Very popular probably because it is very fast and likely easy to drive. No, I've never driven one, but there are GT3RS's in every run group. So I see these cars as very used, and driven hard. So I would expect to see a very large range in value for these cars in the future.

5. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #30 boxerman, Oct 5, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    If I we’re going g to track a gt3rs. But then a cayman gt4ris already more accomplished. The gt4rs May one day become collectible and they are purchasable in your price range or the gt4 May be superceefed by an even better cayman. Point is the 996gt3 is a cool car not one of the greats and since superceeded. To be collectible a car also needs to look great. But as you point out the porche world appreciates to its own drummer.

a bb if you can get a good one is magic. It’s a big bore can am car for the road, or the early 70s ferrari lemans car for the road. newer Ferrari’s are ersatz f1 for the road so the bb is a formula we will never see again.

the styling is unfettered by legislation and the driving experience unfettered by too many practical considerations.
    I went from my Elise on Sunday am to
    My BBI. The whole bb experience is so sharp and imediate that it reminds me of the lotus but it’s really comfortable and the motor is like a turbine.
    As others have said it’s a car you really need to have driving skills to operate well.
    When you get it right on the right day it’s sublime. On a hot day with traffic it’s torture. But the coke tar car works is about art so hot Day/traffic is not an issue.

These same traits can be leveled at the Miura and they went from 85k in the early 90s to 1 mil plus now. Art and a hard core driving experience are what the muira is about, and few are now driven. We’ve seen BBI’***** over 400k at market peak in 14.

Of all the cars you mention only the bb has a pure unfettered design. That’s something that no longer exists. Collectible cars need Artistic style and a special driving experience. When the boxer catches on it will zoom.

let’s also not forget that whether driven or stored cars cost money to keep, so get one you’ll also enjoy using.

EnzoItaly, greg328 and ross like this.
  6. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
  7. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    the bb is really a special car in the ferrari panoply. first mid engine 12 cylinder. last hand built car. fastest car in the world at the time. raced at le mans. far more collectible than the other 2 choices.
    this is one of my favorite pics of my car - back before i brought it to houston
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Caphill

Caphill Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    Such a beautiful car!

EnzoItaly and greg328 like this.
  9. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I'd modify your options and go grab a 512 TR. Still lower production and more interesting / fun to drive than the regular TR. BB would be my second choice. 996 is a big fail in the looks Dept so I wouldn't go near one as I wouldn't enjoy looking at it when not driving. Looks are also important...

Robb

greg328 likes this.
  10. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    good point.
    i love my 512tr too.
    the bb and the 512tr feel like they were made 20 years apart instead of 9 years.
    the 512tr is my favorite car (despite my praise of the bb), but it wont be as collectible as the bb.

Robb and absent like this.