Reflections on F12 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Reflections on F12

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by hergiswilreid, Sep 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    You have to admit, even the worst convertible is pretty fun :) My buddy loaned me his super charged Miata once and that thing was a blast to drive - and I don't even like Miatas.

Ray

Rory breaker likes this.
  2. ForeverCar

ForeverCar Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2017
    It’s great to have choices and we don’t all like the exact same thing. OP, enjoy your 488!

For me, it’s strictly no sunroof coupes for fun cars. I’m odd that way. :D

3. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    Man I would love to drive my 812 around Scotland. Although the roads there are certainly a bit jank the 812 can handle it.

Anyway I get the idea of wanting the open air in the car. For me the V12 is really the thing though and so would never go 488 just because of that.

4. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Interesting, as I too love the analog feel of the 458 platform. I would recommend you drive a 599 vs F12. I drove these two back to back and actually prefer the rawness of the 599.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    OP, specifically which highland roads did you enjoy ?
    I am planning a trip for next year and would welcome any advise.

6. hergiswilreid

hergiswilreid Rookie

Aug 21, 2011
    My particular benchmark trip is from my home (west of Aberdeen) to the Lecht ski 'resort', to Grantown on Spey, then a dull part on the A9 to Inverness and then to Ullapool (first 10 miles or so are dull, but then it's great) and finally from Ullapool to Lochinver (always empty, as it is a road to nowhere - my favourite bit of road in Scotland). The roads around Torridon (A890) and on Skye are also worth a canter, if you can fit them in. Finally, the route Fort William - Glencoe - Aberfeldy (A82 mostly) - Pitlochry - Glenshee - Ballater is great - not all parts of it fantastic (it's a bit tight in parts), but mostly. Pitlochry - Glenshee - Ballater is where Jeremy Clarkson filmed his F12 video. Any combo of the above should do you. Only average speed cams are on the A9. Otherwise, I've never seen a speed cop in 5+ years of driving these roads. But of course, drive safe as there are tourists/caravans and locals to consider. I think Ulapool -> Lochinver is on the NC500 route, but otherwise the above roads are not. Hope you manage to enjoy some of the above. I'll be the guy in the red 488 spider. Apparently with a confused look on my face...

ScottS and 635CSI like this.
  7. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    There are worse states of confusion ! Thanks very much for the tips and enjoy the 488 Spider.

8. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    No doubt you will get more engine sound in the 488 spider with the top down than from the 488 coupe. The car is very fast though and same risk when you get on it as with the F12 or 812, it's a beast. The turbos make a lot of torque from 4krpm and that is where the sound is best so you will be tempted to hit that range so be careful with it. You will be doing 100 sooner than you imagine if you punch it in 2nd from 30mph. I don't know how slow you consider slow but I had my car to 182 racing a vette one day and I didn't realize it until I looked down, the car is soooo fast................

9. MotorMouth

MotorMouth Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    MA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    This makes me want a 458 so badly. It’s already a classic.

dustman, Chadly and plastique999 like this.
  10. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    It’s a funny world. As has been said of women, so can it be said of cars: One cannot be two.

I wish Slm would comment. He sold his Argento F12 for a 488 with some warmer but curvy roads to play on. At nearly the same time I added a F12 then a 488 spider. Now the 488 spider is for sale and the F12 remains. Usable ? F12 hands down. Edgy and quick 488. I mean I take the F12 to Disney ....

When I add the 812 GTS, the F12 stays.

Maybe we are all confused. Good thing we’re not hurting anyone except our Banker.

ScottS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Solid State and Rory breaker like this.
  11. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    I agree quite a bit with the OP. I have always had mid engine or ear engined sports cars. I got an F12 to scratch the front engined Ferrari F12 itch. I loved the car. Beautiful, more masculine lines. Crazy, ridiculous power. Generous interior. Very comfortable. However, I personally could never come to grips with with that LONG front end and sitting so far back, as well as the overly sensitive steering. Even though I really liked the F12, I kept longing for a 488. I traded the F12 for a 488 and never looked back. Also, I live at the edge of the Ozark mountains. Much of my fun driving is tight mountain roads. Not much long range cruising. 488 just fits me better. YMMV.