OEM connector for battery tender | FerrariChat

OEM connector for battery tender

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Zombies, Oct 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Zombies

Zombies Karting

Aug 19, 2017
    Hi all —

I stupidly left the battery tender connected and started to back up - no major damage anywhere but the tender head (OEM connector) to the back of the 488 popped off and it’s un-repairable.
    The OEM tender is insanely priced so I’m looking at an alternative. Do any CTEK tenders (or something else good) exist with the proprietary Ferrari circular magnetic connector exist? I tried searching threads but couldn’t find anything. Thanks!

2. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    SW Suburbs of Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    My 458 will not start with the tender installed. I had a CTek from my former 360 Spider that I really liked. I found an adaptor from a company, I think, on Amazon and the combination works great on my 458. I've included photos of the CTek and the name and address of the company who makes the adaptor. The adaptor was $90.00. My Ferrari tender is in the closet as my back up.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Zombies

Zombies Karting

Aug 19, 2017
  4. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    Your under dash connector looks different than mine but the attachment from the CTek to adaptor is similar. It looks like it will work and the price for both is in line. Good luck. I do like my CTek.

5. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    458 and 488 connect the tender differently. 488 has a magnetic port on the rear bumper. I believe C-Tek has tenders just for the 488 style of connecting.

ShadowLAP and gmo28 like this.
  6. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    I'm in Tampa and can't find any info on Avangardchik and 400 N. Tampa is a skyscraper in Downtown Tampa. I looked up the business in this tower and can not find Avangardchik. Lately this office space tower was transformed into residence building. Maybe someone that works there or now lives there knows how to make these connectors and ships them from work?

ShadowLAP likes this.
  7. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    I know the question was for a 488 adaptor but there are adaptors that look like the one I have for my CTek/458 shown on EBay. So if Avangardchik cannot be located today, there are others. I did purchase my adaptor in January of this year.

8. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    mdrums likes this.
  9. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I have the part number for the OEM connector, if you want to repair it. If I remember correctly, the connector head is supplied by a company called Magcode.

The round magnet part is pretty easy to take apart for repair, etc. Let me know if you'd like the part number and I can see if I can dig them up. I believe I either purchased the parts from ebay or maybe Digikey.

Ray

10. Zombies

Zombies Karting

Aug 19, 2017
    I think it's a pretty straightforward repair but the dealership said it would be "unsafe for the car's electrical system in case something went wrong." I think that's exceedingly unlikely but I just ordered a new tender for the avoidance of doubt. Don't want to turn a $250 bill into an $8,000 bill because I tried to save a few bucks.

11. fulei1979

fulei1979 Rookie

Sep 29, 2020
    Full Name:
    Fu Lei
    I can sell one oem tender for 100 plus shipping cost or the oem connector for 30 plus shipping if u want it. I have the opposite problem as i have the 488 tender and need to buy the 458 connector.... Thx

12. exoticbruce1988

Feb 16, 2024
    Full Name:
    Bruce Fairfield
  13. RoyalPink

RoyalPink Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2019
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    John D.
  14. RC_fan

RC_fan Rookie

Feb 12, 2024
    Full Name:
    AK
  15. sfcarguy

sfcarguy Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 9, 2018
    Earth
    RC_fan likes this.
  16. sfcarguy

sfcarguy Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 9, 2018
    Earth
    The new Ferrari tenders (the bigger black ones) are made for Fix-a-Flat by a Chinese supplier. They are complete JUNK.

RC_fan likes this.