Do you have to remove valve covers to replace oil sending unit? | FerrariChat

Do you have to remove valve covers to replace oil sending unit?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 3POINT8, Oct 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    Random question on 458 -

Do you have to remove valve covers to replace oil sending unit?

2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Oil sender is near the oil filter housing in the mid rear top section of the engine. Removal of the valves covers would be a no. Removal of the intake manifold would be a yes..

Never have I ever felt the need to replace the sender.. what reason do you need to replace it? Leaking..

3. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    thank you so much. i did not replace it. my mechanic did. the car was reading low oil pressure but when they tested it manually it was fine so they believed it was the oil sending unit so they replaced that.

you can replace the oil pressure regulator valves without removing the valve cover correct? i believe they just slide out. i believe i was confusing the oil pressure regulator valves and the oil sending unit.

4. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    also random, do you know if the oil pressure regulator valves were a common failure in these cars (2012 458) or were a recall?

5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    No I do not. I haven't encountered a 458 with oil pressure issues as of yet..

6. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014