355 - Advice about HYDRAULIC TIGHTENER MAJOR SERVICE | FerrariChat

355 Advice about HYDRAULIC TIGHTENER MAJOR SERVICE

Discussion in '348/355' started by olive, Sep 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. olive

olive Karting

Feb 2, 2006
    Paris,France
    Full Name:
    olivier C
    Hello guys,
    Major is coming up soon on F355 (5.2) and I was wondering if it's necessary to buy new hydraulic tighteners.Due to health issues,car was driven less than a 1000 miles since last major in 2014 and brand new hydraulic tighteners were installed then.
    How do you proceed with these? Throw in new ones every major, period?
    Thanks for your input.
    Kind regards.

olivier

2. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    I would inspect them and see how they hold tension once engine is out. I personally would probably change them every second engine out so once every 6-10 years depending on your risk appetite and engine out schedule. They can go off just sitting still so mileage won’t really affect it much I think. I’d do it based on time.

taz355 likes this.
  3. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    Another factor to consider is the storage conditions. If the car is subject to heat and humidity as well as cold and damp conditions then I would definitely consider putting new tensioners in. My .02

4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I would leave them alone.

Beetle likes this.
  5. olive

olive Karting

Feb 2, 2006
    Paris,France
    Full Name:
    olivier C
    Thanks for your input and taking the time to reply.
    I will have the tensioners inspected when engine will be out.
    Cheers from Paris.

olivier

6. spaghetti_jet

spaghetti_jet Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I think component failures are related to use-case and factors such as environment conditions (extreme heat/cold, humidity etc), but I can share my own experience:

I had one hydraulic tensioner fail on my car when it was around 13 years old and around 50,000km (30k miles). I changed them both and since then they have been fine, 10 years, 15,000km and 3 majors later I’m doing the engine-out again this winter and will take another long hard look at the tensioners as I do every major. I might even change them as a preventive measure, but I think with my use case they are probably still fine for another 5+ years at least.

In my case the failure was not a big deal, it was very rattly when cold, but went away when hot. Basically the plunger had corroded. In my particular case there was no real chance of the belts skipping a tooth. If I change them it will only be to avoid the hassle of needing to pull the engine early. The thought of a tensioner failing doesn’t scare me unduly. A tensioner bearing seizing on the other hand would be different story...

plugzit likes this.
  7. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I did not replace them on my third engine out and 1 possibly failed causing bad problems so I will start replacing every major.

I tested them , they looked good, operated good, so not positive what happened only know cam belt jumped two teeth on bank one so all I can tell you is what happed for sure.

having said that I know most leave for at least 2 majors and most have never had the problem I did

8. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    One of my tensioners failed before my last engine out, it just rattled when cold. Went away once warm. Was unnerving but I still drove it a few months before pulling the engine.

9. olive

olive Karting

Feb 2, 2006
    Paris,France
    Full Name:
    olivier C
    Thank you for sharing and taking the Time to reply. It seems from your feedback that tighteners replacement would be the safe route, especially with a 6-7 year major time interval.
    Thanks again for sharing and more comments welcome.
    Kind regards.
    Olivier

10. krazykarguy

krazykarguy Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Both were replaced on our car in March of 2018 during our major. Had a solid rattle which we deduced was actually the tensioner wheel arm (that the tensioner assembly, well, tensions) was starting to seize up on it's bushing. We refurbished that bushing (checked other one, it was fine) and installed new tensioners to be safe.