Painting calipers | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Painting calipers

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by XselR8, Sep 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    My interior is black with red and carbon accents so at least I'm good there....no tan! i could use a wig though!

2. Stams

Stams Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2020
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Yes, the silver works well. I have not seen too many silver or Black on RC 458s.

My 15 yo son loves the black rim / black trim look that is the trend these days. So he will enjoy the wink

Going to see her in person soon so will make the final decision then.

But the interior is Nero and it just works with the carbon wheel caps. Allows focus on the wheels and on the badge.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Im sure that's the Standard no cost option black as its flat. The cost option black IIRC is gloss.

Either way why would you want to change the look ? Looks great. The center cap is not yellow , cool.

IMO wouldn't change a thing

4. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

I went one step further with silver centres that way the only yellow are the shields and bonnet badge

Image Unavailable, Please Login

mdrums likes this.
  5. Stams

Stams Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2020
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I agree! The more I look the more I like.

And dustman was right on the money

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

MANDALAY likes this.
  6. Chadly

Chadly Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2010
    Bothell, WA
    Full Name:
    Chad
    mdrums likes this.
  7. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I am surprised you have black interior with a red car. The red accent must pop and blend well with the rest of the car. Don't worry about the wig, Looks like I will soon need it as well....

mdrums likes this.
  8. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Not just any clown... One with very good taste...

Chadly likes this.
  9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
  10. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    First, you can do them on the car without issue. With this method, you will be able to notice the original color when you lift the car up and get underneath it. If that bothers you, you should remove the calipers.

Do note that removing the calipers increases the risk of errors. The biggest ones I see are careless painters getting paint on the pistons, or letting brake fluid leak onto the new finish which will cause it to bubble and lift.

Finally, my biggest warning for painting calipers is that there are a shockingly HUGE number of terrible painters out there. So many painters will just tape up the brake disk and then blast the entire caliper, retaining pin, brake fluid cap, and all. Most of these shops don't even realize that they are doing it wrong. Take a look at their past work and see if they have that eye for detail.

Here's the important rule: if the part on the caliper wasn't painted before, and it now has paint on it, the painter screwed up. Do not go to that shop.

Here's an example of a 458 Speciale with a bad caliper paint job. Notice that they covered all the metal screws, rubber boots, and the parking caliper with paint.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/hrewheels/40237685634/in/photostream/

11. jomarti1

jomarti1 Karting

Feb 27, 2017
    S. Florida
    Just remember......Ferrari came first than McDonalds. Giallo e Rosso sono i colori della Ferrari.

mdrums and Chadly like this.
  12. jomarti1

jomarti1 Karting

Feb 27, 2017
    S. Florida
    Soo true!!!!

13. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    A-ha!!! Elementary my dear Watson! McDonald's copied from Ferrari... Great detective work @jomarti1 !

14. XselR8

XselR8 Rookie

Aug 16, 2020
    renton, wa
    Full Name:
    brian
    Lots of opinions on this topic. I was dead set on yellow when I posted this thread. After reading all the responses my gloss black will do for now. I still like yellow, maybe next season I might do it. In western WA there are a limited number of days left before my car gets parked for the winter. Time to switch to snowmobiles!!!

Chadly and AD211 like this.
  15. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Do whatever you want and like... I think the comparisons are hilarious... But in the end.... A Ferrari is a Ferrari and nobody can take that away from you... In addition... When anybody mentions Ferrari and ask them about a color immediately after, unconsciously the color red, yellow and tan will pop in their head. There is a reason for that. It looks good and it is a trademark of the brand.

XselR8 likes this.
  16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    That is how it is in the US. Here in Europe, it used to be Red and black. I asked how many Rosso Corsa cars my dealer had sold in the last 12 months - which were exactly none. Just saw a Rosso TRS Pista on Thursday though. I have not seen TRS before. A great colour for anyone who want a classic red Ferrari but don't want to lose the shape and depth. Similar to Rosso F1, but less orange. They should replace Rosso Corsa with TRS.

17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Wrong. Ferrari is from 1948 and McD is from 1940. Also, Ferrari initially raced in Rosso Mugello, not Rosso Corsa.

mdrums likes this.
  18. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Damn it! Insert Homer Simpson "Doh!" here!!! I tried... But somebody outgoogled me...

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  19. fastmnstealth

fastmnstealth Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2017
    MN
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Of course, Rosso Mugello is the best Red as well!

20. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Not better than Rosso Cali;)

21. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Nah, didn't outgoogle you mate. I just know odd stuff:)

I wonder if Mr. Ford told Enzo about the red and yellow colours of this new burger thing. Then Enzo said to himself, "Ah yes'a, that'a will'a look'a good on mi cars'a, eh".

GT2goneF likes this.
  22. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I was kidding abut the google thing.

Highly doubt that Enzo took any advice from Henry... Enzo wasn't a happy camper with Henry. However, Henry would most definitely would have tried to screw with him, in more ways than one. With that said, regardless of how it came about, it has made the Ferrari trademark and even if they share the color palette. McDonald's would never be at the same level. It may generate a good a mount of money but the demographics are actually the complete opposite spectrum of Ferrari.