Mondial QV Misfire | FerrariChat

Mondial QV Misfire

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by IndySB, Oct 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. IndySB

IndySB Rookie

Aug 2, 2018
    Indianapolis, IN USA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    My 1983 Mondial QV just developed an off idle misfire under load. It seems to idle fine, but when you take off in first gear it will stumble and misfire until it reaches higher revs. Seems when it's misfiring that revving the engine helps it clear its throat, but then at the next stop it happens again when taking off. It drives fine once underway, just seems to be a low rpm under load issue.

I had the identical problem last year and found a couple of spark plug wire extenders had holes burnt in them, replaced all 8 and misfire was fixed. This was the first thing I checked since the symptoms appear to be exactly the same, but all extenders appear to be in good condition and they're less than a year old with only a few hundred miles since installation. The spark plugs are also new, and other recent repairs include a rebuilt alternator and new battery.

Any suggestions of where to look next? In my head it seems it should be a plug extender and I'm tempted to pull them again and try and check resistance.

2. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky

How old are the ignition wires?

IndySB likes this.
  3. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Coils, Entrance of coils ....

IndySB likes this.
  4. IndySB

IndySB Rookie

Aug 2, 2018
    Indianapolis, IN USA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thanks, the plug wires came on the car when I bought it, records show they are several years old. I'll check plug wire resistance and see if I can identify a bad one before ordering a new set. Same on the coils, will check those as well. I'm sure it's an ignition system issue, just too similar of symptoms to when the plug extenders were shorting out.

5. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    The problem with misfires is that they can be caused by several different things. I would definitely check the wires first, and also look at the caps for any arcing.

Don't overlook the possibility of a fuel system fault. Injectors have filter screens that can clog. The WUR has a filter screen (under the large bolt). And the fuel filter itself can get clogged up. It helps if you run Techron or similar fuel system cleaner. Most Ferraris are not daily drivers, and old fuel breaks down.

IndySB likes this.
  6. daynyc

daynyc Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2016
    After over 50 years of wrenching, I subscribe to the adage that 90% of "fuel problems" are actually ignition problems. Please excuse me if this is very familiar to you, but one of the best, and sometimes overlooked, ways to check ignition wire arcing is simply to watch the engine running in the dark.

Cadillacbart likes this.