355 - Annoying Brake Squeak just prior to Stopping | FerrariChat

355 Annoying Brake Squeak just prior to Stopping

Discussion in '348/355' started by Laserman, Oct 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Laserman

Laserman Karting

Oct 26, 2018
    Minneapolis, MN
    I have an annoying brake squeak that occurs in the last instant before the vehicle come to a complete stop.

It does not happen when the brake are dead cold. They seem to need to warm up a bit before it starts happening.

I have checked all four calipers for lining and all of them have plenty of life left.

Where should I look next.

2. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    There are many threads on this subject. The cause is the metallic pads that are squealing. Many folks here have found that changing the pads to Porterfield brand fixes it. Mine were squealing and it didn't seem to be getting any better so I ordered the Porterfields and soon after arriving the squealing stopped. They are still sitting in my garage awaiting installation. Another stopgap that you can do is to get the car up to speed in a safe area and do a few hard stops to heat up the pads and get some of the metallic material really hot. That will (sometimes) stop the squeal, but it may come back. Or you can just order the Porterfields and put them in your garage. :) Good luck.

3. Laserman

Laserman Karting

Oct 26, 2018
    Minneapolis, MN
    Thanks, I will have to try this this weekend.

4. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Back the car up at some decent speed and apply the brakes. Do this a couple of times.

Brembo and others have an anti-squeal paste to apply to the back of the pads / shims.

I have to apply the paste to the pads about every three years. I am due.

5. jdlegg

jdlegg Karting

Dec 22, 2009
    Bryan
    Full Name:
    James D
    Bedding the brakes will help. So will regular rinsing (when cold) of the brake dust. Every Ferrari & AMG I've owned has had squeaky brakes from time to time. Gives you an excuse to go wash it! :)

6. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    You can swap to a semi metallic compound brake pad for street driving.

7. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Sometimes, pads get glazed. You can try roughening them a bit over a sheet of course sandpaper (placed on a flat surface) and see if it eliminates the squeak.

8. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
  9. harleyx49

harleyx49 Karting

Jun 26, 2013
    Hutchinson, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Also had embarrassing squeals on my 348 even though the Brembos look fine.
    Had member Tim "2NA" replace them with Porterfields a few years back and since have not had another squeal.