Honda to quit F1 after 2021 season | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Honda to quit F1 after 2021 season

Discussion in 'F1' started by william, Oct 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    I remember when teams could buy Hart, Cosworth, and Judd Engines...

In reality, with the exception of Ferrari, all other automakers are not good partners for F1. A few board members can simply scrap F1 investment in any short meeting, just like BMW, Honda, and Toyota did before.

Bas likes this.
  2. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I would like a weakened Red Bull to some how land Adrian Newey at the Scuderia.

3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Many thousands of companies will have lost money through the pandemy; but they don't all want to sell.
    You have to ride the storm, and anyway there can't be enough buyers.
    Reality will drive the FIA and Liberty to devise a cheaper formula for the future if it's needed.
    If the manufacturers leave, only the "garagists" will be left, and if that's not enough, F1 is looking at the specs series model.
    I am a great believer in market forces, as long as the actors are fast enough to react to them.
    There is no doubt that the World Drivers Championship is a good business, and that it will survive.

tifosi12 likes this.
  4. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    True, but in todays world leaving a carbon footprint going forward in auto manufacturers is considered 'sacrilege."

5. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It is hard to find recreation that isn't sacrilege these days.

In the meantime, I'll enjoy my "sacrilicious" endeavors

6. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    One thing is clear, with Liberty being an US organization you have somebody who understands business and makes decision if need be. They might not be in the purists' interest but certainly making this a profitable venue.

william likes this.
  7. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

No surprise they gain nothing by racing in F1. The series needs a plan for future. They have none they are discussing in public so far.

8. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

That's the nature of F1: teams come and go. I don't expect a car manufacturer to stay longer than necessary in F1.
    Even independent teams like McLaren, Williams, Sauber, Minardi, and others have changed hands.
    Ferrari is the exception, and I can't say if it's good or bad.

9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Worse yet, they don't have a schedule for 21. That really ticks me off.

jgonzalesm6, DF1 and william like this.
  10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    +1
    I agree 100% with that. I feel F1 less at risk in the hands of an US corporation.

11. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Bernie was a good option as he was a benevolent king/dictator. But he got too old eventually.

Liberty is the next best thing. Whether they pull it off might be however outside their hands: F1 is run by egotistical companies and players who come and go and might not agree to new regulations. Plus it is also governed by entirely different entity the FIA. Many cooks in that kitchen. That said, they all have a common goal ($) and thus ultimately reason will prevail.

Just as the pure need to financially survive brought everybody together and created this season, they will figure out the future as well.

12. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Point of order:: F1 has been an engineering championship since 1950, drivers get the headlines, engineers win championships.

william and Adrian Thompson like this.
  13. DF1

The issue defined by Honda in Autosport-
    In a statement, Honda said that it had decided to pull the plug on its F1 activities because of the resources needed amid its shift to electrification in road cars.

Honda said: "Honda needs to funnel its corporate resources in research and development into the areas of future power unit and energy technologies, including fuel cell vehicle (FCV) and battery EV (BEV) technologies, which will be the core of carbon-free technologies."

14. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Right. If they feel they've learned all they can learn in F1, leave. There has always been a strong "green" faction within Honda that seems to overwhelm the not as strong faction that wants to race. It seems to be a recurring pattern/process with them. . . .

william likes this.
  15. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    APPENDIX 9 of the Sporting Regulations 2020

b) No power unit may be used in a given Championship season unless the Power Unit Manufacturer supplying such power unit accepts and adheres to the following conditions.
    Each of the Power Unit Manufacturers of an homologated power unit must :
    i) provide the FIA, before 15 May (or such other date as agreed in writing between all the Power Unit Manufacturers and the FIA) of the season preceding that in which such power units are to be supplied, with the list of teams (clearly identifying the appointed “works/factory” team, if any) to which a supply agreement has been concluded for the given Championship season ;

ii) if called upon to do so by the FIA before 1 June (or such other date as agreed in writing between all the Power Unit Manufacturers and the FIA) of the season preceding that in which such power units were to be supplied, supply at least a number of teams (“T”) equal to the following equation :

T = (111-A)/(B-C)

- A = Total number of teams (including “works/factory” teams) having a supply agreement concluded for the given Championship season with a New Power Unit Manufacturer.
    - B = Total number of manufacturers of homologated Power Units for the given Championship season.
    - C = Total number of New Power Unit Manufacturers for the given Championship season.
    provided that if the result contains a fraction then the fraction shall count as a full team (e.g. 11 teams divided by 4 manufacturers = 2.75, each manufacturer must, if called upon to do so by the FIA, supply at least 3 teams).

16. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    F1 is dead

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  17. DF1

I dont see Geen , but a simple business decision relative to market and tech developments. So it’s green given the tech. This is normal business in response to a given market condition.

18. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Official today.

Sad but Honda have other problems to address.

Horner you can start waxing Renault management's shoes now. With no other options Red Bull is going to massively regret it's arrogance towards Renault.:D

19. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Horner is such a prick. So arrogant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Been a long time for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    That’s what happens to garagistas

Nembo1777 likes this.
  22. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    +1000. Oh and William, predictable like English weather and bad food in always relentlessly criticizing Anything French -except your... French wife with whom I wish you every happiness- I won't see your reply you are on ignore.

stavura, Picchu88 and Igor Ound like this.
  23. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Who? ;)

24. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    COVID-19 has hit Honda hard from a global perspective. They are 46% down when compared 2019 vs 2020 same time.

Flavio_C likes this.