Exhaust Advice (FF) | FerrariChat

Exhaust Advice (FF)

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Jonathan Kayne, Sep 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jonathan Kayne

Jul 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Kayne
    Hi Everyone,

Picking up my FF on Monday and I am already thinking about the exhaust. Unfortunately I don't have the disposable funds for a full Novitec system although it sounds completely amazing. That being said I was hoping the community could help give some advice:

1) Would I get more of a sound improvement from swapping the cats or doing the muffler first? I had a cayenne GTS before and remove the secondary cats and the change in sound was insane with the factory muffler
    2) If I swap out the factory cats for sport cats I assume it will trigger some lights on the ECU and therefore require a tune is that correct? Anyone know if 100 or 200 cell cats will pass emissions in NY?
    3) My FF is a 2015. If I swap out the cats and need a tune would that void the maintenance that is covered on the car for the next couple of years?
    4) If I swap out the cats how important is the X pipe vs factory H?

At the end of the day I am trying to get all of that 12 sound goodness for as little money as possible while not straight piping my car or voiding any warranties.

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. FerrariFR33458

FerrariFR33458 Formula 3

Aug 4, 2017
    Wash DC Area
    Full Name:
    FR33
    Jonathan Kayne likes this.
  3. Jonathan Kayne

Jul 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Kayne
    Spoke to a couple of places and I think I am going to skip the whole cat delete idea. I really do not want to start messing with a tune for for the FF. Anyone have experience with just installing a new x pipe and valve control muffler? FI prices are much less than Novitec so that is an option. Just not sure if the sounds gains are worth it.

thanks

4. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    I am cheaper! I just opened the window. Haha

5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    @Natkingcolebasket69 just went through all this and did a great deal of research...i dont remember exactly what he ended up with but he recently posted an IG video of his car and it sounds pretty awesome.

6. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    absolutely have Mase tune the ECU. i wld do that before any exhaust. after ecu do a muffler. im having mase reprogram my novitec ecu. read the comment from the guy with f12 who just had the mase flash done. best money u can spend on f12/ff/lusso

i wld do it in this order: ecu, muffler, headers, hiflow cats.

7. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I would also open the valves permanently before you go spend money on exhaust, most people that will be just fine )coming from the guy who has the full Novi)

silhouette likes this.
  8. brent95m3

brent95m3 Rookie

Nov 19, 2013
    Austin
    I have the Fi exhaust on mine. Sounds great and I’m definitely increased volume (still wish it was louder but I’m coming from a full header exhaust system on a GT3RS). On the highway or cruising no drone though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Jonathan Kayne

Jul 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Kayne
    I will definitely try to open the valves first. I read that is a quick fix but that will only change the sounds under 3k right? I think the valves open above that level. So I should not experience any other sound gains at the higher RPM. Surprised to hear that People are tuning the cars. Is a significant gain available on N/A engines? I always thought tuning was reserved for turbo engines and alike. Assume the ECU tune is just for power gains right? Nothing for the sound other than canceling CEL when exhaust mods are made correct?

Also any thoughts on capristo vs FI? Seems like Capristo is preferred on the forum. If only I had the money for a full Novitec system all questions would be solved.

Appreciate the advice everyone.

10. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Technically yes you are correct wrt valves impacting lower rpm but it does impact the overall sound as its more continuous. Tune only helps ecu, no sound. I dont know about FI. Ill DM you natkikgcoles cell. Did you search his posts about this?

11. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Dude I shoud have NOT done cats

I don't care about a CEL light

I haven't had a car w/o CEL light for decades, doesn't bother me

I'm way too lazy but someone has to force me to get out there, Black Magic Pocket Cinema 4K camera with a RODE mic for some of the best sound that exists today

12. Altoria F

Altoria F Formula Junior

Jan 24, 2020
    France
    Full Name:
    P
    Regarding a tune: is must be possible to map the ECU in order to fully open the actuators with the sport position of the manettino?

13. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yes novitec did that for my ECU.

14. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Nobody has mentioned Kline yet. I think some forum members have it and swear by it. If I was going to upgrade for less than Novitec money, this is the route I’d take.

15. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

1-Ok so a few things: warranty will go for
    Anything after market period.
    2-valves always open... it’s a legend to me: you lose torque and back pressure and power. I had them always opened with my kline didn’t like the sound:

3-I started with just x-pipe. Nice but nothing inside.

4-then I added kline muffler. Awesome outside, inside needed windows opened

5-Finally added kline 200cel+eurocharged tune. Absolutely perfect in and out. No cel. 100 cel give CEL.
    The all thing is like 10k. Avoid icônel, useless on FF.

16. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Thanks Natkingcolebasket69.

That’s the most comprehensive run through of a system evolution that I’ve seen on the forum. Thank you for documenting and posting your journey to exhaust nirvana!

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  17. RogGT-R

RogGT-R Karting

Jul 20, 2020
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Roger B
    Interesting to know how much Power/Torque one actually loses having valves open all the time?

Power is developed at top of Rev range so valves would always be open whether perm as a mod or stock as OEM so am struggling to see how top end would be any different from OEM (happy to be corrected). Torque low down being lost I imagine is minor as race they open at 3K anyway?

I am valves open on F12 and sounds great but would like it to sound ‘better’ but without the warranty loss of tube. I guess I might have to settle for it how it is currently.

18. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Did you get 2 years of warranty or just the one?

19. Natkingcolebasket69

I live on hills and all I can tell u going up hill on kick down it was very slow to respond compare to comfort mode. Once it reaches 3k it was the same, so I reverted to the tune letting
    Them open at 3k.
    My tune revs till 8.5k rpm too.
    Ferrari warranty is a pain. They will fault u for
    Any change...

20. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    My car came with IPE, not my choice I’m an out of the factory pure guy, All my Ferrari owner guys love mine..

uberwag likes this.
  21. Natkingcolebasket69

Always happy to help!

ANOpax likes this.
  22. HBstig

HBstig Karting

Nov 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    HBstig
    I use Kline rear section , x pipe and center pipes. It's a valved exhaust as well so you can close it whenever. The sound is.....F1.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using FerrariChat.com mobile app

23. RogGT-R

RogGT-R Karting

Jul 20, 2020
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Roger B
    I was looking at this for F12 but consensus (having read every exhaust thread) is that pinning ORM open is almost as good and obviously not the cost. If you want F1 it’s cats which need doing but your post suggests X plus Cat back gives significant improvement? I don’t want to mess with ECU, Cats or tune just for the record.

24. Jas

Jas Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Jas
    With my Lusso, which is the same exhaust fittings as FF, I kept the cats (safer for warranty, and retains usability of the car as a quiet GT family car). I added a Novtec back box, Capristo X-Pipe and Capristo valve controller. IMO you want to retain the ability to switch the valves, as it enables quiet starting and quieter cruising - again for GT long distance travel.

That retains the usability of the Lusso, whilst adding noise and drama when you want it.

See the last 10 seconds of my video here to hear it:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/gtc4-lusso-mini-review.626073/

Outrun likes this.
  25. Natkingcolebasket69

Anything u touch voids the warranty. Nothing is “safer”.