F8 vs 720S 1/4 Mille | Page 5 | FerrariChat

F8 vs 720S 1/4 Mille

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by FerrariFR33458, Sep 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I get this but for now I like switching around. Eventually I will step up into hyper car territory but I am not favoring anything. I do envy how often yo get to track though and cant think of a better car than a Senna. Perhaps the 765 will change my mind. In regards to the brakes, I imagine it went be difficult to upgrade as the std brakes include the Senna calipers.

exoticcardreamer and SoCal to az like this.
  2. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I am sure you know this is all about weight balance, downforce and suspensions, not the brakes per se.

3. x z8

x z8 Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    Drive a Taycan on the highway and get back to me about weight.

4. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I did, it drove very well. You'd never guess its weight. Super quick, great looks crap tech. For an electric car that's a very bad thing. Oh and waaaaay over priced.

Boomhauer likes this.
  5. Yes, I have. Several months ago.

I am now getting back to you "about weight" as you've requested.

What is it exactly you want to know?

6. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #106 Shadowfax, Sep 29, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    I think it goes something like this. Sf90 weighs in at @1700 with 1000 claimed hp combined, and Mac 765 weighs in at @1200 with 755 real ice hp. Both (may) drive light in feel except for one doesn't need any awd and doesn't have to fight the crapper out of the laws of physics whilst melting tires off its rims. These overweight overpowered jalopies are for bar talk.

mdrums likes this.
  7. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    I'd rather have lighter and a little less HP. 1/4 time is cool but for me the one that wins is the one that can lap a road course the fastest and keep on lapping over and over with out brake fade and tire issues.

WM458 and Shadowfax like this.
  8. Yup, and this is why I'd rather have a Senna than a 765LT, even if the former is about 1.5x the cost of the latter.

9. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    The SF90 is ~500HP/ton assuming it comes in around 4000 lbs. I have a feeling with fluids it will be more than this. The 765 is also about 500HP/ton depending on config. I bet that 765's power will be closer to the Senna based on the numbers so far.

The 765 is much lighter, more nimble, less complex and IMO looks better. I bet the 765 will eat the SF90 all day long for $200K less and be much more limited. It will be fun to see how they actually stack up once both are released.

Shadowfax and tekaefixe like this.
  10. I'm thinking the SF90 might have an advantage, at least in straight line speed, due to its AWD system, which will probably allow it to put down power from a dead stop better than the 765LT, even with the added weight.

On a track with actual turns, it's anyone's guess. But straight line, I'm betting the SF90 pulls it out.

#PorscheTTS

11. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    That makes sense up to a certain point then I bet the 765 takes over. Isn't it funny though that the knock on the 720 was that it was only fast in a straight line? Now we are saying the same for a Ferrari. I believe I made the right decision skipping the SF90 and going with the 765. I was already thrilled with the 720's I owned and I am sure this will be that much better.

tekaefixe, Coincid and Shadowfax like this.
  12. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    The SF90 more 1900kg

13. xskier

xskier Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2013
    mdrums likes this.
  14. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Wow, he discovered the F8 weighs 300lbs MORE than what ferrari claims. Wtf.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  15. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I’m a SF90 Stradale customer and never liked the 720 - can’t warm to the look. But the 765 looks like a great car. It’ll be quicker than Pista and GT2RS no doubt (maybe 2RS on Nurburgring excepted). I love its aggression and judging by the reviews it is everything a car like that should be. Great job McLaren, five years ago I would have been, perhaps irresistibly, tempted. It really is so ‘buyable’, whatever residual and reliability issues may or may not look like.

Now though, I wouldn’t cancel SF90 and buy one. It won’t be that limited by the time they do the convertible version so I think the value drop will be like 675. But that’s not it. I have been through Speciale, Pista, .1 3RS, .2 3RS and GT2 RS. I haven’t been through a 1,000hp hyper-road-car, so at least for me that’s new. It’s also a nod to the future and uses new tech to deliver a new experience. Will it be successful? Seems from the tests so far that it will, but I’ll have to judge for myself. I’m hopeful though.

Ultimately it seems like a car from a higher level, with much more cost and thought put into it. Great though the track specials are, they are expensive and are basically an existing car redeveloped, made lighter and faster and given a bigger price. Don’t get me wrong, they’re great, but soon another one comes, then another. The SF90 is a new breed. Not popular with some, but interesting, to my eyes more beautiful, and will be a major part of the history of a very historic brand.

If a buyer was new to it all, which is the best choice - F8, Pista or 765? The answer could very easily be any of them, depending on your budget, intended use or plain preference for brand. But if you want the best performer and probably the best car, the 765 looks to be making a winning case - if you dig the McLaren thing.

MANDALAY, Boomhauer and Ash Patel like this.
  16. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I'll bet you the SF90 depreciates harder and faster for a multitude of reasons. Even with the convertible there will be far fewer cars built than anything Ferrari has going including the 812 VS. Not to mention the performance will be mind blowing without the complexity of a Ferrari hybrid. Oh and for $200k less money. Should be interesting to see.

tekaefixe and Shadowfax like this.
  17. I would wait on the 765LT.

Apparently there are some early model issues with cooling and high temperatures on track. It may be simply a function of early model press cars, but who knows.

18. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    not surprising to me. Pista is like 3300-3350 pounds so F8 should have been 100-150 pounds more.

19. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Interesting, how'd you find this out?

20. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    But the discrepancy between factory and real world is troubling.

Gh21631 and Jo Sta7 like this.
  21. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    That’s not relevant. It’s the number built v the used demand that is relevant. No idea which will depreciate more but anyone who categorically says it’s the Sf90 is just shooting in the wind - how can we know?

Boomhauer and Ash Patel like this.
  22. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Presumably factory weight includes a number of lightweight options that no one will spec on an F8 like carbon wheels? Does seem a big discrepancy though. EU requires an accurate declared weight for each car and I think the F8 was weighed by a mag too.

23. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    oh ya! But Ferrari’s most egregious lie for years has been curb weight. LAF weighs over 3500 pounds!

tekaefixe likes this.
  24. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    It is most certainly relevant. I am responding to your comment stating there will be too many 765's when in fact there will be a fraction built compared to the SF90. Moreover, I bet the 765 is a better car to drive in anything but a straight-line. In summary, there will be fewer 765's built - they will actually be limited (supposedly numbered) vs. Ferrari's definition of limited not to mention the 765's out of the park performance. Not sure about your region but in the states they sold out quick and already spots are being offered well over list. I dont see that with the SF90. Of all my friends offered one they all walked except one person who buys anything Ferrari builds. I do have one friend that did not take his 765 allocation because he has a 720 and is happy with it for now. We will get to sit back and see what happens a year from now and then you can tell me I was wrong. :)

25. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #125 Shadowfax, Oct 1, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    Exactly. The wealthy staunch Ferrari buyers were the only ones lining up to sign on with Sf90. The majority who looked at it walked.

There's also very big difference between a genuinely limited numbered model and a model which is limited in production by the number of buyers actually willing to purchase it, and be able to follow through with the purchase. It was quite clear that Ferrari was not going to build any more than they knew they could actually sell which was a very wise move. What these staunch Ferrari buyers are left to deal with in terms of depreciation is not Ferrari's concern. Ferrari have also done their best to preserve the car from depreciating by not building more than they could actually sell - so they have done their bit.

Those who walked know the secondary market can be very cruel on polarizing models and the flipping game was not going to be there for this car for obvious reasons. One thing is for certain though - and that is the enthusiasm toward the 765lt from the car enthusiasts is infinitely higher than what the SF90 received....which was very minimal and ho hum. And still is for that matter.

Gh21631 likes this.