I found this video interesting - Why he sold his 308 | FerrariChat

I found this video interesting - Why he sold his 308

Discussion in '308/328' started by mike996, Sep 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I have to admit that I frequently find myself thinking the same way. In fact, I had intended to sell my 328 a couple of years ago but my wife's informed me, "You CAN'T sell the Ferrari!" She's Italian... ;)

2. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Despite the (tortured, to me) rationale behind selling his 308, he comes across a bit remorseful. Video made me want to go out and tear up the backroads in my QV. And I can see, feel, smell and hear quite a bit of it from the driver's seat.

3. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Funny I was just watching that two nights ago

Milkshaker0007 likes this.
  4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    not me, i feel the opposite. everytime a new 1000 hp car comes out i go back another decade. currently looking at a 1974 alfa!

5. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    I'm keeping my 328 GTS that I've owned for 32 years.

Gary Sandberg, Rosey and rocket50 like this.
  6. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    His arguments make some sense as we get older, enjoying newer cars with more creature comforts and reliability. However, the more difficult it has become at my age to climb in and out of a car 44" from the ground, crawling over and under it, performing maintenance and detailing is what keeps me going. The rewards are a sense of pride and accomplishment being the custodian of a 42-year old classic Ferrari. Piloting history and art down a winding country road always puts a smile on my face.
    I think James is getting lazy and has his sights on modern EVs. I don't care if the values are stagnant currently, I think we all realize the 308 markets will always be soft.
    I was quite disappointed in his garage btw.

Gary Sandberg likes this.
  7. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I think it registers with me because I have said to my wife exactly what he says in the video - driving this car is more for OTHER people's enjoyment because I can't see it while I'm driving it. ;)

tbakowsky likes this.
  8. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I have never felt like I needed to put up a camera and explain why I changed my mind about something personal and then uploaded it for the entire world to see.

Texas Forever, Rosey and JCR like this.
  9. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Although my tastes run newer than most of you (my cars are a ‘99 & ‘05), I agree that new exotics are just out of control performance and goofy electronics wise.....and the designs are too busy. So I don’t pay much attention to them.

So unlike James, I feel owning a classic today is still an awesome experience, especially now that we can pick when we want to drive them because they are not primary transportation.

10. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Agree 100%. They are just old cars and not particularly good cars. I seldom drive my 308 and basically the only reason I my the 355 a lot is because its the only spider I own and I like open cars in the summer. But I much prefer driving my 2014 Cayman S. It a better car in every way. The 308 GTB QV and 355 spider are definitely beautiful cars, but the 308 drives like a tank, the brakes aren't (and never were) that good and I don't have to tell any of you about power. The 355 on the other hand has some power but the character of the gear box and clutch are out of sync with the over boosted power steering. Both are old cars and they show it. I only keep the 308 because I've owned it from new and I keep the 355 because, as I said, I want a spider for the summer. Ultimately, I don't need to sell them and there really isn't any other car out there that interests me, so I keep them.

Texas Forever likes this.
  11. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    My 308 QV is my favorite of all of my cars, new or old.

mwr4440 and climb like this.
  12. Imatk

Imatk Formula Junior

May 6, 2007
    I've yet to be able to drive mine "properly" since it's had issues with the transmission from the beginning. But I enjoy fixing things so I already have enjoyed it even though it's not currently mobile :)

I imagine driving it would cause quite a stir... probably some good and some bad. I've seen videos of people being nasty to folks who drive exotic cars and also the opposite.

I know that just unloading it from the transport truck caused a stir on my street. People stopping, looking and some thumbs up.

I didn't buy it really for any of that. I've just always wanted one so I bought one that I could afford and am fixing it. So I understand his comment about exorcising something from his youth.

Sometimes I wonder if I'll be too old to enjoy the car once I get everything fixed LOL.

But, the way I see it... if people enjoy it then it's a positive thing regardless of how it affects me and I'm cool with that. I hope to enjoy it from the inside driving it at some point, but I enjoy walking out to my garage and just seeing it sitting there.

13. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Sometimes people lose the passion. I know I am not as passionate after 30 years of ownership. I am not as passionate about a lot of things as I was 30 years ago. But, I am not looking to sell. It doesn't really cost much to own and it didn't cost that much to buy. So I will keep it. I still enjoy driving it. I don't enjoy driving as much when its 100 degrees in the summer.

Texas Forever and Rosey like this.
  14. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    #14 Brian A, Sep 30, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    I have two issues with Mr. May’s pronouncements.

First, the 308 is a remarkable vehicle to friendship. I have many dear friends that the 308 has found for me. The 308 community is stronger than most car communities. Likewise, the car attracts strangers and encourages conversation in a special way. I love the filling station and cars-and-coffee chats that the car makes happen. Even jaded professional seem to soften to the 308: I visited a Ferrari and a Mclaren dealership yesterday (Newport Beach CA) and in both places the salespersons eyes brightened with excitement to talk about the 308 even standing beside a LaFerrari or a P1. It may be that Mr. May cannot experience this because of his celebrity and how that might attract fans and sycophants focused on him rather than his car.

Second, my car is my psychotherapy. I love that it is simple enough for me to be able to solve most mechanical problems myself which really makes me feel proud. Likewise, it is a car fancy enough and valuable enough that I care about doing things right. Mr May mentions very little about the mechanical nature of the car.

As for Mr May’s complaints about the driving experience, well, I don’t quite know what to say. It is the crude idiosyncratic experience that is what I find attractive. Sure, following the evolution of the motorcar is exciting too, but there is lots of love left over for enjoying the relics of the past.

15. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Imagine his wife saying: "James, I am getting rid of you because you are old and I like a younger stud."

Keep it, sell it, get rid of it, smash it for all I care. I frankly don't give a rat's ass what he likes, or drives or buys or keeps.

I keep my 328, out on the street, under the cover, and I still drive it whenever I need a reminder of what a car truly is.

BLACK HORSE likes this.
  16. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I had to Google him to see who he is.

thorn likes this.
  17. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Well, he did reference the BMW i3 in his garage, did he not? so I think it would be more his wife saying "James, I am getting rid of you because you are old, uncomfortable without amenities. I've lost the passion. I like my battery operated ride instead" :p

18. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    He doesn't, and never did have "the passion", for older vehicles.

Of course you drive almost any classic car for other people to look at.

Yes, if I need to blast a 220 mile round trip to phoenix and back, i will take the 2016 Z06 and do warp 3 all the way there and back (with Valentine One radar detector, of course), or the Tacoma truck if I have to haul stuff up from the valley, but on back country roads, the Z, doesn't have the same soul as the 308.

And, of course, the 308 can (and I did) be improved immensely with a 3.6L upgrade and either newer performance pads, or just put some modern Brembos on.

Of course, i still prefer a flip phone also, so YMMV.

PS: i don't look nearly as old as may does and he is 6 years my junior.

Doug

greg328 likes this.
  19. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    ClydeM, the battery operated business was subtle. :D

20. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Just today when I came home after exercising my black '87 328, the person who was refinishing my neighbor's floors came over and asked if he could photograph my car. He was going gaga as he photographed.

ferrariowner likes this.
  21. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Well he may have what seem like valid points but apparently it's a trick. Because you see, every time I take my 308 to a car show there will inevitably be at least two or three guys who come by and tell the story of how they used to own one "just like it" but sold it a few years back. Then comes the tale of remorse and you almost want to hold the poor guy's hand and tell him in a comforting voice "there, there now, it's okay pal. You'll be alright"

BLACK HORSE likes this.
  22. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Years ago people would occasionally yell Magnum. But I don't hear it much anymore.

23. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    How long did he say he has owned the car? He said he is selling at a loss.
    Maybe this video is just a sneaky for Sale add.

Schulz308 likes this.
  24. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

The Ferrari Center is asking $90,500 for his 308.

25. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #25 Jedi, Sep 30, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    Porta Potty in the garage.... that was unexpected!! I'd just assume that at the "James May" level of stardom he'd have had it piped in (out?) by now

Jedi

Image Unavailable, Please Login

308inSD and Brian Harper like this.