FORMULA 1 VTB RUSSIAN GRAND PRIX 2020.....RACEDAY ▄▀▄▀ Spoilers ▀▄▀▄ | Page 11 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 VTB RUSSIAN GRAND PRIX 2020.....RACEDAY ▄▀▄▀ Spoilers ▀▄▀▄

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Sep 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spider_s

spider_s Rookie

Jan 3, 2020
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    S Webb
    I'd also add that having Jos Verstappen as your dad tends to open doors quicker than it would for others with lesser names.

Drivers in F1 are starting too young in recent years.

cairns and william like this.
  2. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

+1. Max is supremely talented. Having Jos around was a problem for RedBull. There was no way Jos' influence could be ignored.

william likes this.
  3. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    The only reason Lance is in F1 is because he is a child--Lawrence's.

I'm really impressed with how Max has come of age, both in and out of the car. His driving has been superb and he seems really loose and comfortable with where he is at the moment. Just starting to hit his stride I think.

kes7u, Bas, Igor Ound and 3 others like this.
  4. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    #254 rovexienus, Sep 29, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    Agreed precocity is not a sign of superiority, just like winning in a car which does not have a match on the track is not a sign of superiority either.

This conversation started about a driver being the most successful based on facts. There is this period between age 18 and 22 when Verstappen was the most successful for whatever reason.

5. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Superiority is subjective, but I would say that if you are in the best car and regularly get more result than your team mate with the same equipment, you must be pretty good.

6. rovexienus

Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    Totally in agreement about superiority being subjective. At the same time Verstappen has achieved successes in F1 which Hamilton cannot match, due to circumstances certainly but there it is.

7. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    As John Surtees said of Hamilton "he is the better driver in the best car."

Igor Ound and ktu like this.
  8. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Prayers should be said for Lance when faced with Max in aggro mode. Charles I like, yet I rate Max as the most capable wheel to wheel on the grid current.

Bas likes this.
  9. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Roger that Col.
    F1 died when the current crop of libtard ******* took over and started making it Politcally correct. Of course removing grid girls was the writing on the wall.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Bas likes this.
  10. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Not necessarily pretty good, just better than teammate.

For example in the Schumacher era, Badoer was a good development, evaluation, and setup driver, but was not a good race driver.

11. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    What record does Max Have that Lewis does not?

william likes this.
  12. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    I just saw they are bringing more updates and improvements. Unless they have some nitro for the fuel don't waste your time

13. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Welterweight division
    vs drivers 1-0
    vs refs 0-1

14. rovexienus

Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    Max is the youngest F1 winner at not yet 19 of age (Spanish GP in 2016). At the time Lewis started in F1 (age 22 years and 71 days), Fernando Alonso was holding the record of youngest F1 winner (age 22 years and 26 days, 24 August 2003 Hungary GP). Youngest F1 winner is a record Lewis could never have, due to circumstances.

15. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

But what do this means, being the youngest GP winner? Nothing. Does that give a special distinction from the FIA? No.

The real records are: number of Poles, number pf podiums, number of GP wins, number of Fastest Laps, number of WDC titles, number of laps lead.

The number of GP wins and WDC titles being the most importants and the only ones recorded in history, of course.

On these, Hamilton is well ahead of Verstappen, and is getting closer to Schumacher's records.

kraftwerk, ricksb, ktu and 1 other person like this.
  16. rovexienus

Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary

Thanks, now that success is defined in terms of records by the terms you have explained here, indeed Lewis is the most successful. When it goes without saying, then it will go even better if we say it.:)

17. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    Interestingly, it seems now that LEC also performed a practice start outside the designated area on his way to the grid at Spa. He received no penalty for this and it was even used as a defence by Ferrari for him doing an unusually slow lap!

The practice start area was very specifically defined in the Race Director's Notes at Spa, and even accompanied by a photograph!

william likes this.
  18. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Just in reading comments from Verstappen, Vettel and Leclerc, it seems other drivers are intimating Hamilton's being singled out...at the same time they are subtly pointing out that Grosjean is not being penalized nearly harsh enough for his dangerous driving (double moves under braking, etc). They're suggesting the punishment doesn't fit the crime.

"Vettel's Ferrari teammate Charles Leclerc felt there should be some review of the system, believing Hamilton had not made any notable mistakes that required sanction.
    "I don't think he has done anything particularly wrong this year," Leclerc said"

Lewis is not the only one who's questioning how he's being penalized this year...

william and kraftwerk like this.
  19. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Interesting. As I said earlier it looks as if the FIA is either trying to punish Hamilton for his political antics and/or trying to keep the WDC chase artificially entertaining. Reeks a bit of '94 and the race bans MS got.

ricksb, Terra, william and 1 other person like this.
  20. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Backed up the fact they removed the points of his super license.

william likes this.
  21. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    I think they are just trying to liven up the show (I blame the Americanisation of F1). So we have Safety Cars when Virtual Safety Cars would do, Safety Car lights going out late (even though the drivers have told them it's dangerous) and lots of Stewards interventions.

Terra, kraftwerk and william like this.
  22. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Add unnecessary red flags to that.

Yup, I agree a lot of that is for entertainment (page out of NASCRAP). But I have to admit to a degree I like it. Cutting down the WDC leader helps too.

william likes this.
  23. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The thing that will stop me watching F1 period, is when race results get regularly decided over a board room table .

I expected better from Todt/.

william likes this.
  24. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    This got me to thinking (I know dangerous....)

Anyway, safety cars are called out due to all the carbon debris on the road after somebody hits something.
    Now imagine if there were no floors, no barge boards, no under nose aero deflectors, no tiny pieces of CF everywhere.....So, it you do manage to hit something, there is no (or very little) debris! And if you manage to get back going, you car is not nearly as significantly damaged so you retain some change of doing well (unlike leClerk Monaco 2019).

So getting rid of the aero bits would go a long way to reducing the NEED for safety cars. and even minimize virtual safety cars, letting more races go wire to wire without interruption.

william and DF1 like this.
  25. spider_s

spider_s Rookie

Jan 3, 2020
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    S Webb
    You just described the virtual F1 racing to a T. Last race I "watched" a bit of (before the F1 coverage started) showed the cars with the damage turned off and it was exactly as you just posted. Cars bumped into walls and each other with little to no effect.

My hope is they stop all this artificial messing about with F1, it isn't helping. If I wanted to watch wrestling, I'd watch wrestling.

kraftwerk and william like this.