C8 CORVETTE | Page 32 | FerrariChat

C8 CORVETTE

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by BJK, Jan 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    So the car is at the dealer probably tomorrow. If I ship it most likely I can get it in 2 or 3 weeks. Cost about $2 grand door to door to Vegas from Maryland.

If I fly in and drive it back, probably the same time and a little cheaper. But I might have paint protection done there before shipping or driving. The guy at the film shop says about $2900 for the film plus maybe $800 for ceramic film for the windshield and side windows. He needs 2 full days. In Vegas, this is kind of a must.

I'd still like to fly in and drive it back though... its so difficult to figure out.

k wright, thecarreaper and Boomhauer like this.
  2. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Get the film done there. Fly out and drive it back. Easy, peasy.

Has anyone ever said, "I wish I had worked more and taken less really cool road trips." ??? Besides, it is a beautiful time of year for a road trip.

k wright and Boomhauer like this.
  3. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I'm thinking your way but this is my busy season. I can't disappear for a week.

4. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    It's your obligation to go... Social distancing!!!!

You can be immediately available by phone.

I am sure you have good people who work with/for you to pick up the slack.

I could go on and on. I am not a good influence.

k wright likes this.
  5. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    2,400 miles?! When is first oil change recommended? (no big deal really, it's a Chevy) Is the car clear of valve spring issue? built between June 1st to September 15th?
    The engine is not built at the same time as the car, tho? hmmm

6. darkkaangel

darkkaangel Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2007
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I say drive it back, it will epic and fun.
    I loved my drive from L.A. to Texas and back in mine.

k wright and Boomhauer like this.
  7. darkkaangel

darkkaangel Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2007
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    First oil change is not required until 7500 miles per the owners manual.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    So what I am thinking now is have the paint protection done at a shop about 20 minutes away from the dealer and let them have a few days on it. The dealer can send me all the documents by Fed ex. Then fly in, take UBER to the installer, get the car, and drive back.

Thinking of Columbus OH, spending time at the AF museum, next Indy where I'll try to visit the museum with a friend of mine living there, then Kansas City for some BBQ, then Amarillo for a steak, then Flagstaff, then Vegas. 5 or 6 days total. Something like that.

Hotels right now are dirt cheap and I have to assume most of the midwest is open. If not, there's always drive thru!

I'll make up my mind in the next 24 hours.

9. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Its like 7500 and its included in the price of the car. Any GM dealer can do it. Its really simple. I am more worried about these valve spring issues. If that happens to me I'm screwed.

Adding 2500 miles in this car in one week doesn't worry me. I drive about 1000 miles a year now. After one year it will have 3500 to 5000.

k wright and thecarreaper like this.
  10. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Drive it back!!

That Elkhart Lake blue is awesome.

We need to meet again at Leo's and drool. Maybe Jeff will show. His Artic white with wing is very tasteful.

11. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    We have to wait for the [insert possible P and R word of your choice here] who run LA county to let us eat out again.

12. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Chevy says the change of the valve springs happened on C8's built after 9-15.

Mine was 9-18. GULP!

13. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    For racers valve springs are a consumable changed out ever so often as a preventative measure. Don't sweat it. If GM does not have a warm and fuzzy solution the aftermarket always does. When the C7Z06 couldn't make it 3 laps without heat related limp home mode LG Motorsports had a lasting solution ready to sell you in a week. The vette aftermarket is strong! Some of my racer budies tied into GM where the 1st to solve the LS3 engine failures on track that ultimately because the C6 grandsport. We kinda made our own grandsports for about 5 years before GM did.

Texas Forever likes this.
  14. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    Hoping to pick up our Elkhart Lake C8 at the factory in mid-November. Contacted a buddy in Memphis, and have a place to stay, plus he will take us to Graceland ! Might back road it from Bowling Green to Memphis, but may have to vary speeds on the highway from there to Dallas. Don't want to add too many hours to the trip. With the revs reduced to 4k until 500 miles, and the torque reduced, hoping that 500 miles of break in will be enough.

thecarreaper likes this.
  15. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Chevy motors can take all kinds of abuse. I think people are too careful on break in. There are several theories. I subscribe to the motorcycle theory which is go out and drive it like you are going to use it. For our stock build C5 vette motors we were racing we just built the motors then went out and beat on them. That seemed to seat rings etc just fine. We just used a conventional oil not even a break-in oil. We proved our new build's on the dyno too because we were tuning ECU/motor for max horsepower and torque. So Just enjoy it!

16. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I now own a Corvette C8 convertible!

Ak Jim, niklas, vincent355 and 6 others like this.
  17. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    SO....... I am flying in to DC to pick up the car in Maryland and drive back to Vegas. I've made an appointment to get the Xpel on it as well as 70% ceramic film on the windows before I drive home.

Looks like I'll have 2 days in the DC area. One I want to go around DC on a tour and the other I might go up to Gettsyburg for the day.

Hopefully by Saturday morning next week I'll be heading to Dayton and visit the Air Force museum on Sunday. Then Indy on Monday. Then....? Maybe I'll just throw a dart.

I went to get a flu shot yesterday thinking I was going to do this. Luckily the dates seem to be falling order so... a grand adventure in a Chevy will start next week Tuesday.

jm2, pearsonhaus, boxerman and 2 others like this.
  18. darkkaangel

darkkaangel Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2007
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Awesome, I think your going to love your new car and the epic ride back home and as Carl said we'll have to do a lunch meet at some point with the cars :)

TheMayor and DIGMAN52 like this.
  19. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I think you should write a c8 travelogue.

20. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I lived in DC metro 4 years going to Georgetown in early 80's. Exit Maryland ASAP into DC. Do not venture outside the NW section of DC except to make B line pass through on major streets. IMO 2 days is not enough. DC is a great city. I could spend 2 days just in the Mall. I go back to DC to visit friends etc about every 10 years. There is this old place that was the best in the 80's. I have not been there since about '95 but it is still open https://www.duckchangs.com/
    Order the Peking duck.

I have never lodged in the city but in dc is more crowded. I would park the car and say stay at the Hyatt arlington, Va. which is across the street from the Rosalyn metro station and take the metro into the city. Pretty much anything you want to see is near a metro stop. So start your hotel search by looking at the DC metro rail map then hotels within walking distance of an open metro station that might even have high security parking. Around Crystal city area might be even safer for the Vette and has close hotel like Westin and crystal city metro station.

21. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I'm going to be honest with you ... I'm completely spooked now about going on this trip staying in different hotels and walking around DC given who caught CV19 yesterday...

22. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Why?
    “Him” contracting a virus has no bearing on you being in the general public, just use standard simple precautions.
    Enjoy the car!
    Congrats!

Face76 likes this.
  23. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    I would drive right around Memphis. It is no longer part of the USA.