360 - Cutting Holes In My 360 Spider! | FerrariChat

360 Cutting Holes In My 360 Spider!

Discussion in '360/430' started by Aeron Fout, Sep 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aeron Fout

Aeron Fout Karting

Nov 21, 2019
    Cocoa Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    flyadf
    I have a early 2001 360 Spider without the fuel pump access panels in the convertible tub. I did not want to go through the hassle of removing the entire top system to access the pumps. After studying some pictures of 360’s with the tub removed and eyeballing the location of the access panels from google images, I got out my cutting tool and went at it. The entire process of cutting and replacing the pumps took about 45 minutes per side.

My plan is to use the original cut out piece as the replacement cover. I’m making some small aluminum tabs to hold it in place, then using a bead of black sealant to fill the cutting gap.

Hopefully this can help someone out. If anyone is interested, I’d be happy to provide the dimensions of where I cut my holes. Use this information at your own risk! Please don’t try this if you don’t have some mechanical skills and a steady hand. It’s a very close tolerance when cutting near the fuel line and wiring harness. Cutting holes in a Ferrari is not for the faint of heart!! Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

CEDPEAR, Mimmo Blue, Gumart1 and 4 others like this.
  2. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I've always been a DIY guy as much as possible (owed to dad, central iowa farm-boy/vietnam vet) and this makes me smile.

Todd Laing and Aeron Fout like this.
  3. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    so later models have a removable cover?

4. Aeron Fout

Aeron Fout Karting

Nov 21, 2019
    Cocoa Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    flyadf
    Yes, I believe towards the end of 2001 is when they started building them with the access panels.

Mimmo Blue likes this.
  5. radlu

radlu Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2005
    Great work !

marknkidz and Aeron Fout like this.
  6. derekmines

derekmines Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Melksham, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek
    Yep, mine's an October 2001 and I have the access panels

Aeron Fout likes this.
  7. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    BTW Aeron, you're not done with the 'maintenance ports'.
    If you've done that much you need should have included the Roll-over valve next to the pump and the other one a bid further down.
    They will also need changing at a later date so why not complete the mod.

FCHAT picture
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Aeron Fout likes this.
  8. Aeron Fout

Aeron Fout Karting

Nov 21, 2019
    Cocoa Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    flyadf
    I thought about drilling some extra holes and doing the rollover valves now, but they were on back order and I did not want to wait any longer. At least now I can look inside my fuel pump access holes and get exact measurements for the rollover valves when they arrive.

Mimmo Blue likes this.