F8 - Exhaust and wheel upgrade | FerrariChat

F8 Exhaust and wheel upgrade

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by GT2goneF, Sep 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Hello everyone. As some of you already know, I should be expecting delivery of my F8 later in the year, supposedly November or December.

As all or most of you, my F8 will be taken directly (on a flat bed or closed carrier) for paint correction, full PPF, ceramic coating and window tinting.

I am also considering upgrading/upsizing wheels, probably 21"/ front; 22"/rear, Novitect lowering springs and perhaps tune and add Novitec exhaust with cat delete system.

However, I am uncertain about whether I should do it as I know warranty can be voided. I hear different stories about dealerships cutting you a break with some things or all; but these are just stories, as far as I know. wouldn't like to find out the hard way that my warranty has been voided.

In addition, if I choose to do the upgrades; I wonder whether I should do it all at once or stage it, allowing some time for me to enjoy the car stock and be able to feel the differences as well as to allow time for the other aftermarket exhaust manufacturers to release their products before committing to one. As of now, Novitec is the only one with the entire system released. I am also considering Kline, but there is no mention yet for F8.

Please feel free to give me your advice with regards to this or any other thing that may come to mind.

Thank you

2. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    IMO with tuning upgrades a wise man told me there is always a bigger penis :) Get that and don't modify your car.

Ild say the same with the wheels. Yes there is a big gap b/w tyre and fender but it is what it is. A proper alignment will do better job with handling.

As far as exhaust I wouldn't do anything unless it was all Iconel and actually did something and didn't throw CEL. They can mask it but its just a band aid.

FWIW do the prep / PPF etc . Drive here for a while then look at what you really want done.

My 2 cents , but your money . Get her first.

GT2goneF likes this.
  3. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Tune and decat will most definitely cause warranty claims for any powertrain related issue to be denied. Wheels will most likely cause issue with suspension claims

If you have a good relationship with your dealer service manager, then it's possible you will not have warranty issues. However, that is more from the dealership turning a blind eye to the modifications than actual compliance with the policy. If Ferrari corporate discovers that they paid out to a dealer for an engine repair on a tuned car, they would be demanding every single dime back from the dealer. Service centers have to be careful about turning a blind eye too often because if a service center has a suspicious amount of warranty claims, they will get audited.

Now, before anyone throws out the Magnussen Moss act like it's a silver bullet; I've yet to hear of a single person who was able to use that act to the fullest. In reality, the dealer has all the leverage in a dispute because they are legally allowed to keep your car in their possession if you have owed repair bills. You would have to pay first then go back through Ferrari corporate or the courts to get everything back. No one but the most persistent is going to go to court to sue a manufacturer over a denied warranty claim.

GT2goneF likes this.
  4. ace32x

ace32x Rookie

Jun 15, 2020
    puyallup
    Full Name:
    morris malone
    downpipes and tuned my 488, if your not concerned about the warranty i would definitely recommend. really livened the car up. as far as 21/22" wheel combo i currently have a set of hre p101's in that sizing and wish i had gone with 20s instead so i could run toyo R888R's on the car.

as far as exhaust mine is stock rear sections with out cats and it sounds way better than stock. ive heard people slap back sections on while maintaining cat's and i feel like it really doesn't do much for sound on the car when the valves are open, just when they are closed.

SECRET and GT2goneF like this.
  5. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Kiss the powertrain warranty bye bye with any tune and catless exhaust.

Save your Magnussen Moss act speeches guys because that law is not there for modding cars to make more hp, lowering and such. It is there to protect you if for example you use a different brand of oil but stay with the approved viscosity and synthetic oil....hence Ferrari can not void warranty if you do not use Shell brand oil but your dealer uses Penkalo brand oil as long as it is synth and proper viscosity.

GT2goneF likes this.
  6. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Removing Cats is illegal ?

Isnt it in the US ?

Also isn't Cali the worst state with regards to emissions ? Ive heard standard cars even have a had time meeting targets .

7. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    You might want to read over California Vehicle Codes § 27150 – 27153

I like all your mods there, so long as your wheels aren't substantially heavier than the OEM wheels. But riddle me this Batman, when the CHP pulls you over for loud / modified exhaust, which I think is probably highly likely, then what is your plan B?

Ray

mdrums likes this.
  8. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Yes to almost everything you said... And I will leave it at that... We would have to meet one day and talk about it in person...

9. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Wheels are likely to be lighter. I would have to verify. With regards to CHP pulling me over for noise, they would have to prove that my car exceeds 95 dB to issue me a ticket. Harleys are way louder than any car. Can't pull you over for aftermarket exhaust. It is still legal to have them. Cat delete, different story but they won't be sticking their head under the car to look for them and quite honestly, even if they did, don't think they would want to or won't even be able to find them.

10. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I will therefore, desist immediate desires to upgrade and slowly and one at a time, do so as I get used to it.

11. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I thought so as well. I knew it would be more of a blind eye than actually corporate policy. In addition, who's to say that one day, thing won't change and they nail my warranty. Guess safest thing would be to wait 3 year warranty period and then do upgrades...

12. Hunter911

Hunter911 Karting

Mar 8, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I’m with you, OP. F8 arriving this winter and I’m definitely lowering the car and adding an exhaust immediately. Current plan is lower on stock springs and add spacers. If I’m not happy with ride height or quality I’ll upgrade to Novitec springs. Probably upgrade the wheels later but not in a rush on that.

I’m hoping there are more exhaust options by the time my car arrives, but of the current options, Novitec looks great. Just doing the rear section (which appears to delete the GPF) should significantly improve the sound (I’ll likely do non-valved to improve sound through the entire rev-range), anxiously waiting for someone to install this and post some video. Warranty concerns on this level of upgrade will depend largely upon your dealer.

GT2goneF likes this.
  13. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    With a turbo in the mix, you might be able to get away with it.

I have a header on my truck, but it's got an EO # from Carb :)

Ray

GT2goneF likes this.
  14. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I don't like the ride height. I will use Novitec lowering springs and also likely exhaust system. However, I am curious about Kline.. I like Kline's sounds and seems like very good manufacture and hug quality. And yes, the exhaust upgrade will delete your GPF.

You basically are on the same track with me. I am also thinking of a non valved exhaust. Don't see the fun of spending a few more K's to silence it when in fact I want to have the natural sound come out. Sorry neighbors.. If you think my GT2, CLS 63s or GLE 63s are loud... wait for what is coming next...

15. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    My GT2 is loud as hell... So far never been pulled over for that... Once for taking off too fast at a light but I was mercifully let go...

RayJohns likes this.
  16. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    That's the safest. With that said, the vast majority of tuned cars are fine. The turbo Ferraris really do need to be decatted to get a great sound out of them in my opinion. Also, while wheels will likely cause suspension claims to be denied, suspension problems are a very rare occurrence.

Personally, I would definitely do lowering springs and wheels if that makes you happy. I see basically zero risk in those mods.

For exhaust, if you want to avoid tuning, try 200 cell sport cats with an aftermarket muffler. If you do tune, stick with a conservative tune and don't go crazy with a tune that turns your car into a flame spitting popcorn machine (i.e. don't go with Gintani).

GT2goneF likes this.
  17. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I was thinking Novitec Stage 2 tuning. Luckily, they don't do that noise. I am not looking (nor should anyone) forward for a Ferrari to do that popcorn noise. I just want the F1 sound.. or as close as you can, therefore, Novitec and Kline..

18. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    The best sounding 488 I ever heard had no cats and a Novitec as I recall. It was the red car from Tag motorsport; you can find videos of it on Youtube.

Ray

GT2goneF likes this.
  19. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Yeah, I agree on Novitec sound. As a matter of fact on any car, particularly the 458 and 812. They sound F1 gorgeous. There are a bunch of videos on You tube. It is like a Philharmonic Orchestra playing a beautiful Symphony.

20. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    I am definitely doing the Novitec rear and x pipe for my 812. Better sounding than an LF-A to me! Still working out the Pista application.

GT2goneF likes this.
  21. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I don't like the LFA sound. I love the 812 and 458 with Novitec.