Ideas to minimize depreciation/loss | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ideas to minimize depreciation/loss

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by ForeverCar, Sep 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    I don't know the inner workings of your dealership, so I'll take your word at it. Must be nice to have such a stand up dealer, because some of the s**t I've seen other dealers pull with promises of future allocations in order to sell a current model are despicable.

This would be my concern; one 812 ain't enough. And buying a Lusso? Now? Oh my.

Again, you might as well just pay market price for the VS. I know it's not apples-to-apples, but look at the people that tried this game with buying a Lusso (and more!) for their Pista allocation... Lusso drops like a rock and even the Pista hasn't held up to make up for it. (I know, different cars, VS likely actually numbered, but different market and world as well).

2. ForeverCar

ForeverCar Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2017
    A fantastic community here and please keep sharing your ideas!

Air freight is seriously tempting. How far upfront did you have to decide on that?

That’s a lot of enjoyment! So awesome to hear you are enjoying your 812 SF!

I think you’re right. I’ve mostly accepted that I won’t get to spec a 812 VS. Odd as it may sound, I’d rather keep the 812 SF that I got to spec vs trying to find a 812 VS in the secondary market (granted, one never knows as I could find one in the perfect spec at the right price).

I think @Prancing 12 was referring to the 812 VS.

The incoming 812 SF (not the one I just ordered) is new and unregistered so it should count. If I move forward with this 2x812 SFs plan, I would have 3 new V12s purchase history (F12 + 2x812 SFs) and one new 488 GTB. However, not sure if the ordered 812 SF (depending on timing, might not be in my possession when VS allocation becomes available) counts.

If I didn’t keep the F12, is that a minus? Oh well, I think getting a 812 VS allocation is mostly a dream at this point and I am working on “forgetting about it”.

3. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    This is not the US game of buying a Lusso or an ugly Cali for a Pista or Speciale. Those are dealer games. I'm talking about the case where it is Maranello deciding. I has nothing to do with the Lusso itself, it has to do with moving up the tier ladder. You can do the Corse Pilota courses, run the Challenge, get into classishe cars. But when it comes to how the factory looks at it, variety is more important than having several cars of the same kind. Instead of getting a used 812, get a Pista,Spider or a TdF to get into the more exotic stuff. A new Lusso or Porto is part of the equation as it means that you represent both main lines of cars. They look at how you represent the marque as a whole, including the activities.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    I added it shortly after my car began production. But it’s probably better to schedule it sooner so they can get a flight closer to when it would finish.

My goal is around 15k miles after a year. So I’m off to a good start

5. ForeverCar

Jan 20, 2017
    To clarify, I feel pretty good about my 812 SF order. I pretty much have no chance on getting an 812 VS allocation. The good thing is, my dealer has been as transparent and supportive as possible. No lies and no misleading information. Unless many 812 VS will be made, it’s likely too late for me to have a chance.

Great information, thanks for sharing. While it’s not something I’d like to hear as I am likely pretty low on the tier ladder, it’s always good to be closer to the truth.

Gotta do some thinking on this air freight option! The more miles, the more smiles. :D

6. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    Sorry, I misunderstood - I thought the dealer was indicating you had a strong chance of getting a VS if you purchased a SF (and possibly in addition to a pre-owned SF)... Sounds like you're in good hands.

ForeverCar likes this.
  7. ForeverCar

Jan 20, 2017
    I can only wish my dealer was indicating to me that I have a strong chance of getting a VS! Since there are no specifics available yet, my dealer has been as transparent and as helpful as I can expect. I interpreted it as,
    • If the VS is limited (say my dealer gets 2 to 3), I practically has no chance. I might have a tiny chance if I go buy a new one of everything and a tdf (probably totals US$4M+). Even then, practically no chance.
    • If the VS is a bit like the Pista in terms of availability, then I need a new V12 in the garage to be in the running. With my ordered 812, timing may not work. So to maximize my chances, I can purchase the incoming (new & unregistered) 812.
    • If I roll the dice and just go with the 812 I’ve ordered, I have a chance at the scraps if the 812 VS is a bit like the Pista in terms of availability.
    I am slowly coming to terms with this and plan on being happy with the 812 I have ordered (since the first option is beyond my means, the second option is a bit too expensive for me to consider “worth it” as it’s practically saying goodbye to US$300k+ and I might as well add an F12 to the collection instead of “poof”).

8. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    If your looking for an 812 VS allocation then in a sense it doesn't matter what cars you have purchased. What matters is how many cars you have purchased compared to the six or seven other top customers at the same dealership since the dealer has only so many allocations. In large and wealthy areas there are many more folks with huge buying history that you are in competition with if you plan to play that game.

ForeverCar likes this.
  9. ForeverCar

Jan 20, 2017
    So true! It’s a tough pill to swallow but there’s no point deluding myself and spend US$300k+ in self delusion. Only looking at where I store my cars, there’s a SP2, multiple LaFerraris, a F12 tdf, lost count of the 812s and Pistas. Extrapolate from what I have seen locally, I am likely an invisible fish in a different pond. :confused:

I have a connection to someone who’s likely very high on the tier ladder. I supposed I could ask if he’s willing to let me spec a 812 VS (he doesn't seem to be into the front-mid V12s and I think he would have no trouble getting an allocation). The car then sits in storage until such a time that an ownership change doesn’t upset anyone (I don’t mind waiting at all as I just want the car as one of my forever cars). I may get desperate enough to give that a shot. :oops:

10. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Willing to bet your friend will not donate his brand new 812 VS to you at MSRP. It will always be worth more and he'd have difficulty never showing up with it at the dealership. Its a collection worthy car even if you favor different engine placement. If he pitches for one and gets it I think he'll suffer with it. :)

11. ForeverCar

Jan 20, 2017
    Yeah, that’s a good part of why I’m hesitant to even ask. However, his collection is so extreme that I think the dealer might not noticed that they haven’t seen the 812 VS. :D Mostly just me dreaming though.

12. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    even if he would sell you his car at MSRP, doesn’t mean he could. A lot of these dealers put right of first refusals on the cars for multi year periods post sale whereby the owner can’t just turn around and flip the car to whoever without consulting the dealership. Yes, they enforce this. A lot of owners don’t even realize they executed it as buying a car involves a lot of paperwork.

13. ForeverCar

Jan 20, 2017
    Good point, I forgot about the multi year restriction in my moment of optimism. :(

14. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Our dealer makes it very clear you are signing a 2 year right of first refusal when buying any new car from them. Or at least they did when I bought my 812SF. They told me about it before I ordered, when I ordered, and when I took delivery and signed all the purchasing papers. So it was not a surprise.

And in our area, to get high on the allocation list you are a very serious Ferrari collector. In the event there are only 2-3 slots I have a pretty good idea who’s getting them. We can only hope it has pista like availability :p

15. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    this is so obvious in the current business model of Ferrari. Open a YouTube channel, do stupid act, racks up subscriber. Then you will be able to buy one without any prior purchase history. just kidding, but not really, if you know what I am talking about.

The old game of buying any trading in for the so called special edition has long gone effectively when Ferrari went public.

Need a v12 in your garage? just get a FF or Lusso. your family will love you. I bet you may even keep it when the 812 arrives.

long story short, don't buy one now.

16. ForeverCar

Jan 20, 2017
    Yes, I am happy and feel fortunate that our local dealer is quite awesome. I can’t blame the dealer when it’s me who’s low on the tier ladder. :(

+1 to hoping lots of 812 VS coupes get built! Maybe we can get back some revs even with GPFs on the VS! :D

Totally! The game is different now. I experienced a Lusso over a long weekend. While I really like the car, I’d go with an F12 as an additional V12 in the garage.

Rarely do forum advices help save money. But I think the amazing collective wisdom just saved me ~US$250k (I was closed to going for it). Thank you all!

SeattleStew and IloveGT like this.
  17. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    In my view the VS will have a longer production run than the TDF had, purely because Ferrari will not want to leave as much money on the table for speculators. Like the Pista I think it will be a limited production by time rather than units which in theory might mean potential to pick one up down the road. Buying a Lusso now to try and get a MAYBE VS build slot would be a very expensive mistake based on how those cars aren't holding value.

I think point 3 is the most likely scenario.

18. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    A several year old car vs. a new one is not too bad with Ferrari. Most cars, 2016 and back are unlikely to lose much value going forward. I would also expect the 458, F12, Lusso and FF to stabilize going forward. They have already dropped by 40% to 50%. The downward curve from here is very slow.

Thecadster likes this.
  19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    but there are examples where that isn't the case, yes the biggest drop is the first few years, but also years 5-12 at some point they take a big hit. Look at 599. I believe the real turning point where they flatten and even come back some is 12-15+ years, like the 550/575.

Gh21631 likes this.
  20. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Certainly there are exceptions.