Looking for an independent shop in SE MIchigan | FerrariChat

Looking for an independent shop in SE MIchigan

Discussion in 'North Central - USA (MI, IN, OH, KY, WV)' started by Johnnyrako, Sep 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Johnnyrako

Johnnyrako Rookie

Sep 24, 2019
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Rakowiecki
    Hi, all!

I am looking for an independent shop in SE Michigan that can help me clear some Post Accident dash lights without raping me. Spoke with Cauley when i took it in for an airbag recall and the service manager (Joe Abernethy) started giving me a big BS Story how Ferrari's need to have the wire harnesses, ECU's and all of these sensors replaced even when no airbag deployed..
    Total scammers because they can't diagnose so they just throw parts at the problems with the hope that eventually something they replaced will fix it.

TIA for your help!

2. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hi John, if Joe is saying that I'd take his word for it. I don't know the details of your accident but Joe has never once steered me wrong. Did you take it to them or just call them?

jm2 likes this.
  3. Johnnyrako

Johnnyrako Rookie

Sep 24, 2019
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Rakowiecki
    Thanks, Paul

I took it to them and it's still there but I know that if an airbag never deployed, he is full of SH*T.. He also told me the dash was replaced but the car has been in the family from brand new and it's 1000% never been replaced. He is trying to feed me a bunch of crap and I cannot give my car to someone I don't trust.

4. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I am not sure whom else would have the diagnostic equipment for this car. I think they need an SDX for the California? Joe is one of the kindest and straightforward people I have ever met. Is he human? Of course. But that place would never rip anyone off. They really take care of me over there. The only other place that I can think of that might be able to do something is Motorwerks but I don't trust my Ferrari to anyone else but Cauley. You do know that Joe is ranked the number one service advisor in the world by Ferrari, right? These cars are not like normal cars. I remember a guy needed new CV boots on his Cali. Sure no problem, right? No. Ferrari doesn't sell just the CV boots for the car. You have to buy a new axle shaft. Why? Its Ferrari. It may seem logical that you wouldn't need to replace wiring and the like, and on a normal car I'd agree with you. However on Ferrari's and knowing how fragile their electronics have been in the past, I wouldn't be surprised.

5. Racer_X

Racer_X Rookie

Oct 20, 2017
    MI
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Could he have perhaps meant that it was removed and reinstalled during a repair procedure?

6. Johnnyrako

Johnnyrako Rookie

Sep 24, 2019
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Rakowiecki

I don't know what to tell you, Paul.. He was ****** from the minute I walked into the place and he had an attitude when I told him the car was serviced Ferrari Fort Lauderdale since we owned it and I just brought it up to Michigan this year because my father bought a new Pagani and didn't want it anymore.
    Maybe he was on his period, I don't know but I wouldn't let them work on my golf cart if he begged me.

7. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I am sorry you feel that way. Joe is an exceptionally kind person so I know for a fact he wouldn't have intended to come off that way. I recommend letting them run their diagnostics at the very least and this way you will have more information on what to do. There are cheaper places to take your Ferrari, but there are no places I'd take mine. Also, this is off topic but I GOT to see pictures of the new Pagani! Bonus points if its in a unique spec. If you have any further questions feel free to shoot me a PM. I used to sell guns myself. :)

jm2 likes this.
  8. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Chuck Capala Royal Oak or Terry Muier Port Huron
    As an aside, Joe at Cauley is one of the best as far as i'm concerned. He/they have worked on my last 4 Ferraris without any issues or problems. Surprised at your dealings with him. I would trust Joe with any car I had.

PaulK likes this.
  9. Johnnyrako

Johnnyrako Rookie

Sep 24, 2019
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Rakowiecki
    Thanks for all of the input, all! I will try to speak with him again and see what happens.. Maybe he was having a bad day. He seemed rude from the 1st minute I saw him so hopefully there was something else going on and if I have a very transparent convo with him we can clear things up right away.
    i just want my car back and no dash lights... :)

PaulK likes this.
  10. The Outcast

The Outcast Formula 3

Apr 19, 2011
    Royal Oak Michigan
    I've tried everyone in the local area, and no one is more accommodating and easy to work with than Joe and the Cauley team. And no one else puts a two-year unlimited mileage warranty on the job like they do. Add to that their close ties with Maranello and that's something no one else around here can touch. Joe is a busy guy, and he gets hammered on all day long...think of yourself on your busiest day...a little "human relations 101" might be helpful here.

PaulK and jm2 like this.
  11. ItalianOne

ItalianOne Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2008
    Mich
    Full Name:
    Kevin R
    Joe is a great guy!! Maybe you just got him on a bad day or maybe he was on the phone with Italy.. Who knows. Joe is ranked the number one service advisor in the world by Ferrari at the moment. Also Not sure all independents would have the correct software or diagnostic equipment you would need to correct your problem.. Best of luck..

PaulK likes this.
  12. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    I also have had great luck with Joe

PaulK likes this.
  13. profit1

profit1 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    +1 for Joe and the entire Cauley team, great expertise and trustworthy from my experience on service/repairs. Brought car in for what the symptoms indicated could be a large $ repair bill. They found was a smaller item and fixed it and charged accordingly. Could have told me differently and i would not have know the difference. Trust

The Outcast, PaulK and jm2 like this.
  14. Jeffg11

Jeffg11 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 31, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff Grabowski
    100% support behind the entire Cauley Team. You can't ask for a better place to take your car.

PaulK and jm2 like this.
  15. Continental AutoSports

Sponsor

Aug 22, 2006
    Hinsdale, IL
    Full Name:
    Bobby Williams / Parts Manager
    I second this. Cauley is one of the best in the business.

Jeffg11, bennyb, PaulK and 1 other person like this.
  16. The Outcast

The Outcast Formula 3

Apr 19, 2011
    Royal Oak Michigan
    Here's what's hard to figure out; if you just went in for an airbag recall replacement, they would have just installed the new airbag inline with your existing wire harness and ECU. But you mention a "Post Accident" dash light, which would indicate that a deployment took place. So...did a deployment take place or not?

If Cauley Ferrari, or any other service facility, were to agree to using post-deployment parts within the Airbag circuit, they would be opening themselves up to costly liability if you or someone else were to be injured by the Airbag, or if it were to fail to deploy at some later time. That's pretty much common knowledge throughout the automotive service industry.

Something doesn't smell right...are you telling us the whole story? You're calling out a highly respected Ferrari Dealership as a "scammer" on a public forum...don't be surprised if people on the forum want to know the details behind your story if you are going to use language like this.

PaulK likes this.
  17. Johnnyrako

Johnnyrako Rookie

Sep 24, 2019
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Rakowiecki

There was no airbag "deployment" and that's the point.!! If there was a deployment there would have been a blown airbag somewhere. The post accident dash light was due to a headlamp needing to be programmed to the vehicle.

It doesn't really matter anymore. I had the car shipped back to Miami and miraculously there are no dash lights, no parts had to be replaced, the harness connection was loose -that is all and it cost < $500!

jm2 likes this.
  18. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    All’s well that ends well.

19. The Outcast

The Outcast Formula 3

Apr 19, 2011
    Royal Oak Michigan
    Sounds like everything worked out okay!

20. Johnnyrako

Johnnyrako Rookie

Sep 24, 2019
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Rakowiecki
    Everything worked out well thank God.. Although, it still makes me scratch my head to understand how and why Cauley was looking at replacing a bunch of things and quoting me a price in excess of $20K ("if I am lucky to get out that cheap") and Ferrari of Fort Lauderdale resolved it so efficiently and for such reasonable fee. Now, I am going to leave the car down there again and get something new for up here but not from Cauley..
    Does anyone have a lead on a F12 or 812 ?
    Thanks again for everyone's input; I really appreciate tremendously it!

21. The Outcast

The Outcast Formula 3

Apr 19, 2011
    Royal Oak Michigan
    The beauty of the Ferrari Dealer network is that everyone knows each other. Joe Abernethy likely talks to FFL on a regular basis; techs at FFL that worked on your car will share their experience with Joe, so that everyone's on the same page from here on in. It's a beautiful thing!

For an F12 or 812 Superfast, check the listings here on FChat!

22. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I think after this John you should go buy a Lamborghini from Suburban. This is how that brand came into existence anyways.
    When you post inflammatory information about someone who is highly reputable with a highly reputable dealer and, you clearly are talking out of your ass... Please go buy from another brand and refrain from needlessly dragging someone's good name and reputation(s) through the mud.

FrancisK and jm2 like this.
  23. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Just FYI for future searches as the OP has not replied, he never even got a quote from Cauley. Nor did he magically ship his car in record time to FFL and have them work on it. Among other things.