FORMULA 1 VTB RUSSIAN GRAND PRIX 2020.....RACEDAY ▄▀▄▀ Spoilers ▀▄▀▄ | Page 9 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 VTB RUSSIAN GRAND PRIX 2020.....RACEDAY ▄▀▄▀ Spoilers ▀▄▀▄

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Sep 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    #201 ktu, Sep 28, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    I seriously doubt that you can compare the effect of Riccardos race results and Lewis race results when you look at the big picture in F1 at this time. There have been many times where Riccardo has had upset radio remarks, some in practice!, yeah practice! The guy is not a robot he has emotions too. Kimi, Max, Leclerc, basically all get upset on the radio. If i'm a team owner and a driver doesn't get upset from time to time i don't want him. Max seems to have bigger radio lash outs than Riccardo, so why didn't RB make Riccardo #1 driver? Since not getting upset is best?

2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    ...you think he's a 6 time wdc because he doesn't understand the rules? o_O

It's always track dependent. That's why teams do trackwalks, that's why there are pre-race meetings where issues such as this are pointed out. If no one knew where it was, more would've made the same mistake.

It's like the pitlane light at Monza all over again...Just because Lewis doesn't pay attention to where it is for the track in question doesn't mean the rules need to be re-written so he does.

stavura, Hocakes and Nortonious like this.
  3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    While I see the logic in that (and had a similar thought), in reality Hamilton isn't fighting for the championship either.

He reminds me a bit of MS: Both totally dominated the field yet both look as if they are totally insecure in their positions and have to throw tantrums (Hamilton) or dirty driving (MS). They could just go on with their business without the antics and still win all the titles in the world.

Qvb, ktu and Sharknose like this.
  4. Col. Kurtz

Col. Kurtz Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    New England
    Full Name:
    Walter E.
    Boring, except for the accidents and time penalties. I've said it before, current F1 is like watching old-school NASCAR where the accidents make it worth watching.

Safety Cars should realistically be a disappointment because they take away from racing on the track, but now I look forward to them and hope for over-taking in the first few corners after the SC comes in, after which we go back into the typical procession of MB and the lone Red Bull.

Not sure the juice is worth the squeeze any more with F1, not just because Ferrari is so freaking awful, but because I can watch highlights and get the exciting bits without dedicating my Saturday morning and Sunday morning watching this snooze-fest.

I know, you guys don't give a damn what I do with my time, but needed to vent since my wife is currently the only person who listens to this rant due to COVID. Thought I'd spare her some pain. lol

JLF, subirg, 375+ and 3 others like this.
  5. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    No, but we think that Hamiltion isn't as idiotic as you would like people to believe.

You only keep repeating it to belittle his achievement.

Terra likes this.
  6. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    As usual you try and steer opinion. I don't think he's an idiot.

7. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

If I have a choise, I prefer Hamilton throwing his toys out of the pram from time to time, to Schumacher pushing another driver to the wall.

Hamilton is only one of many drivers having discussions with his team over the radio, but very few use their car as a weapon.

Terra and ktu like this.
  8. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Well, there is that.

True that many drivers are cry babies. Seb comes to mind among others.

My point was that guys like MS and Lewis should be above that. The flip side is that they are so ultra competitive they never seem to get out of their winning-at-all-cost mode no matter how many titles they already bagged and how dominant their talent and car is.

Terra likes this.
  9. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    You may have a point there.
    It maybe be that they are relentless in their effort to win because that's the only way they know.

Terra likes this.
  10. RobertJRB

RobertJRB Karting

Feb 8, 2012
    The times MS used dirty driving he wasn’t dominating the field and didn’t had a couple of championships behind his name yet.
    When at Ferrari at the top years I can’t remember those kind of actions any more. Of course the FIA didn’t tolerate them any more as wel at that time.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met FerrariChat

Igor Ound likes this.
  11. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Squeezing his own brother against the wall at the Ring?
    Squeezing his own team mate against the wall at Hungaroring?
    Parking at Rascasse after getting preliminary pole at Monaco?

All in the red cars with titles to his name.

Terra, ricksb, ktu and 1 other person like this.
  12. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/152489/hamilton-penalties-not-a-complete-surprise--mercedes

Mercedes Formula 1 track engineering director Andrew Shovlin was not surprised that Lewis Hamilton was penalised in Sochi after realising where he had conducted his Russian Grand Prix practice starts.

Hamilton asked the team as he drove out of the pit lane if he could conduct his starts beyond the usual area, which was covered in rubber after two days of action.

His engineer Peter Bonnington said he could, but with no TV coverage of his exit from the pit lane the team did not spot how far beyond the usual area he had travelled.

After running through the pits, Hamilton conducted a second start in the same place which was seen on TV and flagged for investigation by the FIA.

Hamilton subsequently received two five-second penalties which badly compromised his race and left him in third place at the flag.

He said after the race that the stewards were "trying to stop me" and alleged that the FIA was changing the rules "to keep racing exciting".

The FIA deemed that he had gained a sporting advantage, as Hamilton retained the lead at the start, while Shovlin acknowledged that Hamilton had been looking for a more representative piece of track on which to make his start.

"In some places there's a box that they paint on the floor, and you've got to do it in the box," said Shovlin.

"Then other places, it's kind of a general area. And often, if there's a lot of rubber, that's not going to be representative of the grid.

"The drivers and also the engineers will want to find a bit that's closer in terms of the grip to expect on the grid. And all it was was Lewis asked if he could go a bit further.

"We hadn't realised quite how far he was going to go. But it's really just trying to find a bit of tarmac that's more like the one that you're going to get when you do the proper race start."

Shovlin admitted that the team suspected that there would be an issue after seeing the location of the second start.

"We didn't see the first one," he said. "And when we saw the second one, we thought, 'They're not going to like that.'

"But we didn't think it was dangerous. And given the event notes said that it was on the right hand side after the pit exit we thought it might have been ambiguous enough that we would have just got a telling off.

"When we saw the car position, it wasn't a complete surprise that they didn't like it. And no doubt there may have been teams who flagged it as much as whether the FIA or the stewards spotted it themselves."

Two penalty points handed to Hamilton were however rescinded, with FIA race director Michael Masi labelling them "inappropriate" after a post-race review.

Share this article on

13. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

1991 Sportscar World Championship

During his spell in Sauber, in the 1991 Sportscar World Championship, Schumacher was involved in a serious incident with Derek Warwick in that year's 430 km of Nürburgring. While trying to set his flying lap in qualifying, Schumacher encountered Warwick's Jaguar on a slow lap resulting in lost time for Schumacher. As retaliation for being in his way, Schumacher swerved the Sauber into Warwick's car, hitting the Jaguar's nose and front wheel. Enraged by the German's attitude, Warwick drove to the pits and chased a fleeing Schumacher on foot through the Sauber pits. He eventually caught up with Schumacher, and it took intervention from Jochen Mass to prevent Warwick physically assaulting Schumacher.

1998 Canadian Grand Prix

The 1998 Canadian Grand Prix saw Schumacher accused of dangerous driving when his exit from the pit-lane forced Heinz-Harald Frentzen off the track and into retirement. Despite receiving a 10-second penalty, Schumacher recovered and won the race.

2010 Hungarian Grand Prix[edit]

Toward the end of the 2010 Hungarian Grand Prix, Rubens Barrichello attempted to pass Schumacher down the inside on the main straight. Schumacher closed the inside line to force Barrichello onto the outside, but Barrichello persisted on the inside at 180 mph (290 km/h), despite the close proximity of a concrete wall and Schumacher leaving him only inches to spare. Barrichello said "It is the most dangerous thing that I have been through", and "There is not a rule for that, but between ourselves we should take a line, stick to it and that's it." Schumacher said that "Obviously there was space enough to go through. We didn't touch, so I guess I just left enough space for him to come through." Ross Brawn said "at the end of the day he gave him enough space. You can argue that it was marginal, but it was just tough – tough racing." A range of ex-drivers and commentators were highly critical of Schumacher. Although there was no accident, the race steward, the same Derek Warwick of the 1991 Nürburgring incident, wanted to black flag Schumacher since that "would have shown a better example to our young drivers". The Hungaroring incident was ruled to be dangerous and Schumacher received a 10 place grid penalty for the next race. Schumacher accepted the decision, and apologised.

Terra, ktu and tifosi12 like this.
  14. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    If you have the race recorded, the commentators mention it either on the penultimate or final lap. He was purple through two sectors then was told to back off.

kraftwerk likes this.
  15. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    I think he's a 6 time WC because he does things that the others don't (can't).

I guess the FIA could buy a new paint brush for each track.

Terra, william and tifosi12 like this.
  16. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I think it is the converse, they are as good as they are due (DUE) to being so relentless in their efforts.

ricksb likes this.
  17. DF1

Thank you Charles. We certainly cannot thank Seb LOL :)

8. Leclerc is single-handedly saving Ferrari's season
    Where would Ferrari be right now without Charles Leclerc?

After a 1,000th grand prix to forget at Mugello, Ferrari bounced back with an improved showing in Sochi as Leclerc finished sixth, marking the team's best result since the 70th Anniversary Grand Prix at Silverstone.

Leclerc put in a stellar performance throughout the weekend. He was frustrated to miss out on a place in Q3, but the free choice of starting tyre meant he could benefit from the medium/hard strategy and get the overcut on Esteban Ocon and Pierre Gasly, allowing him to finish sixth.

But he was again Ferrari's only driver really present in Sochi. Vettel had an anonymous race after his Q2 crash left him 14th on the grid, never getting in the fight for the top 10 as both Antonio Giovinazzi and Kevin Magnussen - racing for Ferrari customers - finished ahead.

As AlphaTauri continues to impress with another double-points finish in Russia, Leclerc is the only thing keeping Ferrari from slumping to seventh in the constructors' championship right now.

The minor updates brought to Sochi offered Ferrari a small step forward from what sporting director Laurent Mekies called its "rock bottom" performance, but were not enough to thank for the result, according to team principal Mattia Binotto.

Another small update package is due to arrive for the Nurburgring that the team will hope offers a further benefit, which it dearly needs. If Leclerc has a bad day, it could find itself under still more pressure from AlphaTauri.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/152500/10-things-we-learned-from-the-2020-russian-grand-prix

18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    As I said before: Charles is flattering the car, Seb is making it look worse than it is.

375+ likes this.
  19. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    The only sport I can think of which a reputation where the looser takes a loss with style and grace is:: chess !

20. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Well 18 others don't drive a Mercedes so yes, he's doing something they can't...

Seems the other 19 drivers understood just fine...and all those from the support races too. I really think it's a Lewis problem rather than ''it's too confusing''.

stavura, fil, ingegnere and 1 other person like this.
  21. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Well I say, three incidents over a 22 year career. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

22. DF1

They should neglect his payment for a few races lol. Absurd difference.

Much like his problems with Ricci. Major adaptability issue.

tifosi12 likes this.
  23. DF1

Full quote from Ricciardo during race when told of penalty- Lap 32 // Daniel is told about his penalty: “Ok, I’ll drive faster. That’s my bad. I’ll make up for it.” True sportsman!

stavura, fil, 375+ and 7 others like this.
  24. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

There were many more, like when he was on the first row on the grid, to steer his car directly towards the other driver in an attempt to intimidate and force him to lift to avoid contact.
    Some drivers complained about it. Schumacher did that time and time again, and went unpunished for it.
    Schumacher had that reputation in the paddock to be a "dirty driver".

Terra, tifosi12 and ktu like this.
  25. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Sounds like the sort of excuse that struggling drivers use when they can’t come to terms with a superior competitor.

fil and Bas like this.