458 - My first maintenance | FerrariChat

458 My first maintenance

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by toomanymodz, Sep 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. toomanymodz

toomanymodz Rookie

Aug 18, 2007
    FL
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I purchased my 2011 Ferrari 458 last week and so far it's an amazing automobile. It corners better than my old NSX and accelerates almost as good as my 1987 Buick Grand National. It has 17k miles on it and I plan to put many many more miles on it.

What isn't amazing is that the salesman told me the car would be serviced prior to me taking delivery, but when I received the car the green wrench was lit up indicating the service was not performed as promised. So I did the right thing and scheduled service with my local Ferrari dealership.

The oil change cost $700, which was a little higher than I expected, but it is what it is. They recommended a brake fluid flush, another $700 so I said ok. I figured the car is 9 years old and some fresh brake fluid would be a good idea, especially since I live in hot Florida.

Hopefully that is all that it needs, I'll know more this week when they call me. I am anxious to drive and enjoy this car and not have it in the shop. My garage looks sad with the empty bay.

2. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Well unless your Grand National was heavily modified the acceleration of your 458 would be light years faster than your GN.

3. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    I believe what kills us with the oil change is labor. Removal of belly pans is labor intensive....they need to be cleaned of debris also.
    I recently changed my oil and filter for around 180.00 dollars (diy)it was a half day ordeal.

4. toomanymodz

toomanymodz Rookie

Aug 18, 2007
    FL
    Full Name:
    Matt
    My Grand National made 625HP at the wheels and 800lb torque. It ran very low 10's in the 1/4 mile and would carry the front wheels for about 15 feet when it launched. It would destroy the 458 in a drag race, but the Grand National would lose in every other measurement.

ryalex likes this.
  5. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    $700 to flush brakes!!! Yikes! You know that’s about $40 in fluid and hour labor which is normally $175 or so. Damn what a total highway robbery rip off.

6. Transman

Transman Karting

Nov 20, 2016
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen Ferraro
    Why would you even have taken the car without at least getting in it and starting it before you took it since they promised to service it for you?
    That’s a crooked dealer and I’d be very careful bringing it back to them for anything anymore.
    Just my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Those maintenance prices are ridiculous. A Motiv pressure bleeder is $125 and the fluid is $25. Jack up each corner, remove the wheel and have a friend help you bleed/flush the brakes. I did my 2009 F430 in a couple hours with my buddies help. It was so easy and I knew it was done right. Don’t pay those crazy prices.
    The oil change was even easier, just a little more time consuming with all the bolts on the bottom pan.
    Look on You Tube for the instructional videos from Normal Supercar Guy. He has a 458 now.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

GT2goneF and flash32 like this.
  8. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Figured it had to be modified. Still have it? I have always loved those cars for some reason.

9. toomanymodz

toomanymodz Rookie

Aug 18, 2007
    FL
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I sold the Buick about 1 1/2 years ago. The next owner poured 8 grand into an aftermarket ECU and digital dash, another 5 grand into interior upgrades, bigger injectors, new turbo etc. and he only gained a tenth in the 1/4 mile. It seems that I had the combo "just right". But still, glad I sold it. The Ferrari is every man's dream come true.

And regarding the maintenance, I do plan on doing future oil changes and small fixes myself. I figured it would be good to have a Ferrari tech give it a "once over" just this one time and I'll take it from here.

10. toomanymodz

toomanymodz Rookie

Aug 18, 2007
    FL
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I tend to trust people more than I should. This dealer was a few hundred miles away and I didn't have the time to fly there and test drive it. The car itself is everything they said it would be, so if an oil change is all that was missed, I guess it's not such a huge deal.

A quick story. About 7 years ago I bought an Acura NSX. Same thing, trusted the dealer and they delivered the car. I was going through the glove box and center console when I found a booklet. It was from a repair shop that had worked on the car. It was a receipt for almost 45 grand. That car had a clean CarFax (they are unreliable) yet the car had suffered quite a bit of damage from the previous owner. I believe he slid off the road since most of the damage was down low to the ground. The damage history bothered me so much that I sold the car after a few months of ownership. I still made a $5k profit. That car now is worth about $30k more than I sold it for.