F1 Transmission Stop/Go crawling traffic | FerrariChat

F1 Transmission Stop/Go crawling traffic

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Inadeje, Sep 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Inadeje

Inadeje Karting

So I have both a 599 and California with the similar F1 transmission. I’m wondering how slow crawling traffic could eat up the clutch. I’ve found myself in numerous situations where the car has to inch forward and stop/start again over extended periods (accidents, roadworks, freeway congestion). It seems to me that these slow crawls confuse the transmission and the clutch is neither fully engaged nor fully disengaged, sort of a limbo mode. Are there any mechanics out there who could tell me if these unfortunate situations could prematurely destroy ones clutch? I do my best to switch into N whenever I can and wait until there’s a decent distance between the car ahead before re engaging a gear, but inevitably it isn’t always feasible.

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    The clutches are completely different - effectively the more modern California's is better designed for traffic and the 599 will be fine if it is fully engaged before trickling - multiple threads and videos on how to drive F1 in 599 as well as 575 / 360 etc sections

ScottS and tfos750 like this.
  3. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    The California is a dual clutch transmission that is actually quite different in operation and programming. You don't need to put it in neutral at lights, the computer knows that when you're on the brake in 1st that nothing is happening. It's not supposed to burn it out at all by leaving it in first while braking.

Side note: one thing I noticed immediately about the F12 versus the 458, is that they seem to have programmed about a 1/3 of second delay into the pedal in first (from 0mph) before the clutch engages in order to make the pickup smoother. Some people said the 458 it is too touchy off the line, but I had gotten used to it. So now what ends up happening is I feather the throttle on the F12 and I don't even move!

Auraraptor and DIGMAN52 like this.
  4. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    Hammer down time !

ryalex likes this.