Looking for SD1 | FerrariChat

Looking for SD1

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ferraridriver, Sep 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Anyone know of an SD1 in the California Bay Area.

I have an intermittent problem which is throwing a P1102 code

The car is a 2000 550 Maranello

John Heim has been working on it with a Leonardo without success

We suspect the code definition may be in error and maybe an SD1 might give a different area to look at.

2. epb0

epb0 Rookie

Feb 27, 2015
    FRANCE
    I strongly doubt that this DTC is different with an SD1.

3. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Since Ferrari had a "Limited Production" status prior to 2000 they were not required to provide the EPA with a list of manufacturer's specific DTC's so they didn't
    "P0xxx" codes are generic thus those codes are required to be published, however codes"P1xxx" are manufacturer specific and prior to 2000 were never published by Ferrari, at least not that I can find anywhere.

I'm hoping that an SD1, which was the diagnostic console in use by Ferrari at that time may give some other description to what ever intermittent fault is causing the code P1102.

Remember that Ferrari went to some lengths to inhibit independent techs from accessing codes via the OBD2 port by omitting a necessary ground wire on the port!
    This was concurrent with not making SD1's available to independent techs.

In short, neither I, nor several other techs and engineers, firmly believe that the published (by Bosch) description of this code, (O2 Sensor Heating Circ., Bank1 - Sensor 1 Short to B +) is correct, thus we are looking at other approaches to this problem and hoping that an analysis with a SD1 might help.

While I admit the odds of P1102 referring to the number one O2 sensor heating circuit are correct several months have been spent checking every aspect of that circuit and finding no faults. Nothing we have done has been able to induce the code.

4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    You are on the right diagnostic pathway. Your instincts are correct. Ferrari does weird stuff. I have on more than 1 occasion call in a favor to get an SD to take a read. That got me looking at the correct area and a fix followed. All I can say is F'ing Ferrari! This 550 is my last. If the car ever tries to punish me its gone. I'm getting too old for this sh@t.

5. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Dave, I believe Roberto at Roselli’s in San Jose has both SD1 and SD2.

Good luck!

Ruben