355 - 18" Wheels for F355 | Page 6 | FerrariChat

355 18" Wheels for F355

Discussion in '348/355' started by jeffdavison, Sep 14, 2019.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    OCKlasse likes this.
  2. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    OCKlasse likes this.
  3. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    I forgot about the new coilovers. Your car will really handle well!

OCKlasse likes this.
  4. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  5. OCKlasse

OCKlasse Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 5, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brandon K
    The adapters? No...they do have a little bit of weight to them, though.

6. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    The wheels :)

7. OCKlasse

OCKlasse Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 5, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brandon K
    Oh! No, I did not :(

8. bmwguy54

bmwguy54 Rookie

Mar 5, 2015
    I've got a 355 with terrible wheels. I want to find some used stock wheels or something sedate like a BBS. Help! Nothing oversize please.

9. zondaf355

zondaf355 Rookie

Oct 2, 2022
    Full Name:
    Colt Rogers
    I may have a set of basically brand new Speedlines modular coming available if your still looking. They have been checked for factory markings and indeed are genuine. Currently mounted on a sub 1500 mile Conti.
    View attachment 3683700

Attached Files:

ChoonHound likes this.
  10. ChoonHound

ChoonHound Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2022
    Saint Michaels, MD
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    Chrome or polished?

11. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I believe he's referring to the Speedlines modular on the car in chrome?

12. ChoonHound

ChoonHound Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2022
    Saint Michaels, MD
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    Right. Pic is a little low rez so I’m confirming they’re chrome.

13. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Ohhhhh those are 90's chrome alright. Not a bad look actually, the chrome, very period if that's what one is after.

14. ChoonHound

ChoonHound Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2022
    Saint Michaels, MD
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    Shame.

15. pgh_mrs

pgh_mrs Rookie

Apr 1, 2024
    Hi there, new here, same issue, looking for a good replacement for my oem wheels which do look amazing but approach 30 years so a bit concerned about safety. I was really looking forward to see these custom made wheels, was it "Dan"? And the black HREs on the respective cars. Any chance you guys can post pics of the wheels mounted? That would be great to see

16. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Can you elaborate?

17. ChoonHound

ChoonHound Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2022
    Saint Michaels, MD
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    I imagine he’s worried about 30 year old magnesium.

18. pgh_mrs

pgh_mrs Rookie

Apr 1, 2024
    That's right, I bought the car used in '17, it had 2 previous owners, so far all good but paint on wheels coming off at a few areas where there are tiny scratches. It has been suggested to have the wheels repainted and examined by my workshop. I may still do that but if I do I wanted to make sure integrity of the wheels still there. I have researched but haven't found a place that can xray an entire wheel so safety would still just rely on eye examination.
    Figured might as well just buy new wheels and store the originals, probably feel safer that way.

Talking about safety, has anyone heard of this Australian retailer "Geniepowered" - see link below - they seem to be able to sell new aftermarket wheels in the original design. Price looks too good and I rather buy from a manufacturer that has a reputation to loose but made me wonder why no one else does do forged copies of the originals:

https://geniepowered.com.au/wheels/vintage/vt206/

19. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Again, what is the worry, exactly? I have a 54 year old 911 whose crankcase, chain boxes, valve covers, and gearbox housings are made out of magnesium. They get a lot more stress and heat cycling than rims and they're fine. I've never heard a single example of a 355 rim cracking due to age. (What exactly happens when a magnesium casting turns 30? I'd love to know the metallurgy here)

I think some people need problems to find solutions for.

20. ChoonHound

ChoonHound Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2022
    Saint Michaels, MD
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    Corrosion due to the substrate open to the air (chipped paint) and cracks due to impacts. These would be my guesses. I’ve never owned mag wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

21. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Cracks due to impacts is not age-related and applies to every rim on the road. And corrosion is not a real concern, unless you've got deep scratches in your rims and you're driving your 355 through the salted winter roads for decades. The cooling fan of an early 911 is raw magnesium. Not painted or coated in any way. And it's very, very rare to hear of them breaking.

Again, this is a make-believe problem.

22. JoeCab

JoeCab Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2014
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Joe C
    Magnesium wheels are definitely problematic, but can be dealt with. But you need to know what you're doing.

You are right - nothing happens to magnesium due to age alone, if it is properly sealed.

They can get corrosion due to chips in the paint, balance weights, or normal wear and tear of the inner bore from mounting. I have also seen wheels where there were large areas that looked OK but were "rotten" when subjected to Dye Penetration testing. This was not on a 355 wheel but a much older, sand cast Campagnolo wheel ("Elektron" alloy) which basically had a raw finish. The 355 wheels seems really well made and maybe their alloy is different and doesn't suffer the same corrosion?

If they need to be repainted, they should be done by someone familiar with them. They can be gently sanded and painted, but if you go through the coating between the paint and the magnesium, you will need to completely strip them and have this coating re-done to prevent corrosion. I think the most common coating is "Dow 7" but there are others that properly treat the magnesium prior to painting. This is a chemical process that forms a hard outer layer on the magnesium that can then be painted over.

If they are bent or cracked - I am really not familiar with what can be done to repair them? I would like to know, as I have 2 cracked front wheels, which were repaired with urethane sealant by the PO. Even though they balanced perfectly I wasn't comfortable running them and this is why there is a set of HRE wheels on my car.

23. ChoonHound

ChoonHound Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2022
    Saint Michaels, MD
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    No, of course not. But 30 years offers a lot of opportunities to whack a rim.