SSC Tuatara | Page 2 | FerrariChat

SSC Tuatara

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by BJK, Feb 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  2. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  3. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    still no review or test or numbers. :mad: :(
    jump to 1:00

CK7684 likes this.
  4. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    versus Bugatti Veyron (Stradman tends to be a little over the top, but still better than "Hi, I'm Schmee ...")

jump to 7:25 - (rolling start negates the Veyron's awd advantage from a stop)

>>> so what did we learn? A car with 1750 hp is faster than one with 1,500 hp ;)

Nativetroy likes this.
  5. LarryC

LarryC Karting

Jun 5, 2013
    Saint Petersburg
    BJK,

If you want to know what we learned. There were a couple of things:

1. At 242mph it was still climbing 6-8mph per 1/2 second
    2. At 242 it was only in 5th gear (of 7) with more top side room in 5th
    3. We decided to roll so that the Bug wasn't fighting it traction control and for safety b/c the runway had so much ash on it
    4. The Tuatara was only at 17psi of boost

There was more that we learned from the technical side.

ryalex, ForzaV12, Scudmsl and 3 others like this.
  6. alan

alan Formula 3

Apr 17, 2004
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Alan
    #32 alan, Oct 11, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    tritone and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.
  7. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
  8. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    Unbelievable. That is truly incredible

Boomhauer and Jo Sta7 like this.
  9. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
  10. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Would love to see it in track and how it corners

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    He was really in a hurry to get to Pahrump;-)

Hats off to them. But I am half Swedish and wonder if our true national genius Koenigsegg will have a go at unseating that; a few months ago he said they were planning to do a new record attempt....

12. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Like butter. Sooo smoooth!

13. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    #39 BJK, Oct 19, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    Andynyc likes this.
  14. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Why did he stop accelerating at 331? The speed was still increasing at a decent pace, it looks like the car had a good 10+ mph to go.

15. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    "The car wasn’t running out of steam yet. The crosswinds are all that prevented us from realizing the car’s limit.”

Boomhauer and amenasce like this.
  16. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    Congrats Larry! I’m sure your family was glad you weren’t behind the wheel! Amazing accomplishment.

17. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Crazy speed..these speed wars are fun to watch for sure, but its only a matter of time before something goes horribly wrong..

18. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Congrats! Very impressive performance...not so much the final number achieved (it is impresive) but with how much ease it looked. The car looked unbelievably stable and it was accelerating like it was nothing at over 200mph. Looks like a real life video game! I'm glad this car finally made it to production after seeing it launch years ago at Pebble Beach with the white car.

19. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    #45 BMW.SauberF1Team, Oct 20, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    LarryC likes this.
  20. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Kinda funny --- it looks like he's slowing down and then you look at the Speedo and it reads 295MPH.

I wonder how much fuel was used to do this.

At some point you have to wonder if you exceed the limits of the tires. Between the aero pressing down and the centripetal forces wanting to expand the tires, at some point something has to give.

21. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Yeah, and at 300+ mph you're just a wind gust away from disaster. I think Bugatti is done. Nothing else to prove.
    Next up, would be the Hennessey F5 and the Koenigsegg Jesko. I don't think they have to beat SSC, but just go above 300 to prove they can and blame 'poor conditions' on not setting a new record.
    It's really a just a publicity stunt and useless 'party trick'. Mine is bigger than yours. I think 300 mph is a high enough bar.
    I would be more interested in seeing some standard more hyper cars could participate in like 0-200?-0.
    It used to be 0-100-0
    https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-comparison-tests/reviews/a18862/power-trip-0-100-0-history/

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  22. LarryC

LarryC Karting

Jun 5, 2013
    Saint Petersburg

That is an interesting perspective, but the people in this space have egos that give them an ulcer when someone else holds the record. They appreciate the capability of the other guys, but they want to be "the guy" who holds the record.

I'm not sure why people keep adding Hennessey to the discussion. Everything of his has been a Lotus body variant that is actually registered as a Lotus, not a Hennessey, so he isn't actually a builder. He is a modifier who has never built a car from the chassis up. His prior car, the Venom, was then modified by Johnny Bohmer for its one speed run that Johnny drove. The car blew the engine and dumped oil all over the Space Shuttle runway during that attempt. Hennessey's new variant doesn't look like it has the aero to get there, but I look forward to seeing what he ultimately builds.

Christian is a different animal. He works the engineering and has the resources to do that. His delay id that he is currently 1.0 - 1.5 years away from a working gearbox prototype for the Jesko. He will likely have to rework his aero to try and get to 330, which is his current theoretical limit. I like what Christian does.

If someone does push the number, we estimate that there is another 15-20mph in 7th if the wind is still. Ollie backed out of the Tuatara because of the X-winds moving the car almost off of the road. He was still in 6th and climbing 4-5mph/sec with room to go to get to the redline. I know that with still wind we can get between 340-350 in both directions.

23. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    #50 BJK, Oct 22, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    Congratulations and thanks for replying and giving your first hand account and thoughts. Really looking forward to watching the feature-length documentary when it comes out.

I had not read anything about a delay with his Jesko 9-spd Light Speed Transmission. My guess would be that making a new tranny work is one thing. Making it work and be reliable with 1,600 hp and 1,100 lbs of torque is another.
    Christian also may have to reconsider his top gear ratio's to exceed 330 mph! :D

Have you ordered your new personalized license plate "331 MPH" ? :cool:

LarryC likes this.