Rank 458 Exhaust Mods For Me | FerrariChat

Rank 458 Exhaust Mods For Me

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by FFan5, Sep 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    I'm interested in modifying my exhaust, but not sure exactly what to do. The options are headers, sport cats or exhaust. (Maybe two, probably not all)

What I'd like, generally in order
    Higher pitch
    More torque
    Some more volume, but not straight pipe volume
    Weight savings

After reading a bunch, I think either headers and/or sport cats first?

2. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Most likely, a cat back is all you're going to want. Headers take the volume to 10/10.

3. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Not sure I'll agree. The test pipes are the culprits when it comes to loud exhaust.
    Seeing that he also wants a performance increase, getting rid of those useless log manifolds is a must.
    From a quality and sound standpoint, I'd do Capristo headers paired with Novi boxes and a Fabspeed tune, and stick to stock cats. There is a lot to be gained from the headers on a 458 as the stock design is not very good. A BMC airfilter is a nice addition too and will add a bit to the howl from the intake.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    IPE full system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. TUTTSF

TUTTSF Karting

Sep 21, 2018
    So. Cal
    I did the whole thing Fabspeed headers, 200 cell iPE cats, iPE valved exhaust, openflash tune

Love Love Love the sound

Traction light comes on all the time in race mode

CT off is crazy fun just be ready the first few times and keep it straight when rolling into full throttle

As for brands S-line exhaust loudest and highest pitch no valves so I passed on it but thought long and hard about it. I leave really early for canyon runs and car meets so wanted the valves, still loud with valves but thats ok

Went with cats because I got the headers, no headers get test pipes + exhaust

6. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    In the 458 platform, the cats are the best way to pick up sound and performance. Headers will get a little more sound and a little more performance but the cats are are where the main gains are located. The stock mufflers have valves in them that make them pretty free flowing when open. With what you are looking for I would look more upstream.

7. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    The Fabspeed website shows headers as providing more horsepower, torque and reducing more weight than sport cats. Why wouldn't I start there?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. TUTTSF

TUTTSF Karting

Sep 21, 2018
    So. Cal
    You can start wherever you want

Headers are labor intense to install thats why I went for the hole package cost savings of pulling every thing apart once

Test pipes will possibly need O2 spacers so you wont get a cell fault, or a tune which will give you even more power, cracks and pops in the exhaust, smooth out the throttle response and no cell light

Like Phillip suggested test pipes for sound if thats your goal.

Headers and test pipes for more power/torque + add a tune for maximum power

I went with an ecu tune that puts the valves closed in sport mode, open valves in race mode no pressing a button on a remote, increase in power/torque 3 different tune files to play with

Image Unavailable, Please Login

white out likes this.
  9. toomanymodz

toomanymodz Rookie

Aug 18, 2007
    FL
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Was this done at a shop? Or is this something that can be purchased and installed.

10. TUTTSF

TUTTSF Karting

Sep 21, 2018
    So. Cal
    The tune I have is Openflash Performance and he will send you a programmer that comes with your purchase and connects to the obd2 port to load the file(s)

You can work with him on what you would like to have changed or set up like the manettino switch and I think he will do several different files for you to try and then he will modify the files to your preferences like if you have valves he can shorten the valve open time on start up or open all the time, throttle response on low speed, I don't know the if other things are customizable other than engine/exhaust valves

toomanymodz likes this.
  11. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    go with a Mase tune...he is a wizard

id do novitec. IPE comes highly rated.

12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Two things I'd like to add.

First is that when replacing cats with test pipes, there's also an addition in exhaust smell. This both inside and out. It is not the nice smell of a race car in race fuel, but rather just a pungent exhaust smell. I understand why this is not often talked about by those who decat, but it is something to consider.

The other thing is regarding IPE. I would choose any of the other brands. I have seen both fitment issues and cracked exhausts. Even though IPE is cheaper than the others, still not worth it imo.

Headers
    200 cell cats
    Novi box
    Tune

Power, sound, quality, no smell = winning.

wthensler likes this.
  13. TUTTSF

TUTTSF Karting

Sep 21, 2018
    So. Cal
    Do they do one file only or will they send you several different ones to see what you like and then customize a file for you

I ask because I don't know just curios not being turd. \

They look like they are all about maximum performance

I went with Openflash because my research led me to think he was and is open to working on the tune to get the results your personal tastes wanted.

Do you like lots of gurgles and pops on decel or more of one less of the other, I have one for everyday and one obnoxious one for car meet ups if I'm in the mood or I can take the programmer with a small laptop and change in the parking lot in 5 minutes.

Don't know much about Mase, looks like they do nice work but with a bench flash you get one tune and if it's not enough of one thing or too much you would have to remove the ECU and send it in again.
    If it's only max HP/TQ that you want then any of the tuners out there are capable of giving you that.

Optimizing timing and fuel curves is a simple exercise for any competent engineer with a dyno and a laptop, most gear heads can master the maps and programing to max the ecu.

I went with IPE as I heard it in person also heard s-line, FI, preferred S-line sound but thought it would be hard to live with on long HWY drives witch I do often

14. TUTTSF

TUTTSF Karting

Sep 21, 2018
    So. Cal
    I think it's their titanium exhausts that has problems have not seen or heard that the stainless has problems could be wrong I guess I will find out in due time

15. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    No. This was steel exhausts.
    Fitment issues on a McLaren and 458
    Cracking on an F12 and 458.

16. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Idk call him and talk to him. I love gurgles and pops.

17. TUTTSF

TUTTSF Karting

Sep 21, 2018
    So. Cal
    It looks like they do for the obd2 flash module but not the 488 as it still is bench flash.

Looks like a good tuner that will work on your tune to get it were you want it

18. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    The Pista and F8 use in ONeal exhausts.
    How does this material compare with what the aftermarket companies have designed?
    (Race cats aside)

19. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    They are on par with Novi and Capristo. Better than the Malaysian made Innotech.

20. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    (sorry about the IPhone auto correct misspelling)

Ferrari factory are now using ‘ Inconel’ alloy

21. Whan

Whan Rookie

Sep 4, 2020
    Marin, CA
    Full Name:
    Will
    Any suggestions for only getting a higher pitch, but minimal increased volume? I'm pretty happy with the level of volume of the stock exhaust, when the valves are open. I do like to retain the optionality of having valves closed at times if on a longer trip

From what I've read and seen, perhaps a Kline stainless exhaust, with 200cell cats may be the best way to go?

22. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    S Line is the only exhaust that will give you that real F1 scream from these naturally aspirated engines.

23. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    Sport cats will keep the sound down a little bit compared to the test pipes. However they will not give you the F1 sound that you are looking to accomplish. Personally, I like the sound that the headers, cats and stock exhaust gives you and the option to quiet it down when you want.

24. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    #24 obbob, Sep 28, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    From my experience:
    • Highest Pitch: IPE / S-Line
    • Loudest: S-line
    The pitch is primarily determined by the muffler / catback...and accomplished by changing the h-pipe to an x-pipe (stock is an h-pipe). Increasing exhaust flow in the cat pipe will influence volume and gurgling/pops. Headers will affect performance the most, but also increase volume to a lesser degree than the cat pipes. Generally headers are less popular since they are expensive and don't impact the sound nearly as much as the other two components.

Decatting the car completely will almost 100% throw a check engine light without a Capristo OB2 Wizard or a tune. Sport cats will most likely not throw a light, but if it does, it will be infrequent enough that you can just clear it every time it happens.

Valve controllers are popular, but will only make a difference at low RPM because the OEM valve software opens the valves above 3000 RPM already.

For weight savings, titanium is the lightest material but less durable than stainless steel. Titanium is great for the muffler, but dubious for the cat pipes and definitely not okay for headers. Inconel is almost as light as titanium, but far more durable, and can be used safely for every exhaust component. Nearly all the popular brands make titanium exhausts, but inconel is a lot rarer. The two most known inconel brands are Kline and Novitec.

Hope this helps.

25. Whan

Whan Rookie

Sep 4, 2020
    Marin, CA
    Full Name:
    Will
    #25 Whan, Sep 28, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    Thank you obbob - that's very helpful!

Edit to add:

Can anyone comment on how much louder the S-line exhaust is vs. stock both at higher rpms (valve open), as well as low rpm and if there is any drone?

It appears the S-line exhaust does not have a muffler. I understand that the stock exhaust essentially bypasses the muffler once valves are open, so would think the S-line may be similar in volume (all else equal), so my bigger concern is livability, since I will plan on taking a few longer trips / drives here and there