New Tesla faster than a mclaren around laguna seca | FerrariChat

New Tesla faster than a mclaren around laguna seca

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by amenasce, Sep 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Musk also announced that Tesla is taking orders now for the new three-motor Tesla Model S with "Plaid Mode," a version capable of producing 1,100 horsepower. This car will be able to go from zero to 60 miles an hour in under two seconds and run a a quarter-mile drag strip in under nine seconds. Costing about $140,000, the Model S Plaid will have a top speed of 200 miles an hour and will be able to go 520 miles on a full charge, according to Tesla.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/electrek.co/2020/09/22/tesla-model-s-plaid-unveil-range-speed/amp/

1.30 at Laguna Seca. Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Still Doesnt make me want one...gimme an e39 m5

technom3, crinoid, F2003-GA and 6 others like this.
  3. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    It's depressing

4. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    An Apple watch is also more accurate at telling time than a Patek, but which would you rather have? I never understood these comparison numbers.

crinoid, Gh21631, Bas and 1 other person like this.
  5. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Go to the track in your P1 and get your ass handed by a lousy tesla 4 doors and tell me the watch comparison is still valid.

It's not just pure numbers..it's the fact that this thing can be better at what the cars we love are supposed to be the best at.

I am not a laptime guy but still find this depressing.

ilCapo, rob lay and willcrook like this.
  6. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Porsche Taycan 'Turbo' S killer

7. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    How many laps can the Tesla do before it overheats? If more than 3 I'd be surprised.

And erm...i have some questions about this ''record''. Official production car? What tyres? Full interior? Same suspension/brakes as production car? Same aero? My guess is a NO to all of them.

Remember the Nurburgring ''record'' Elon was so proud of? Which was basically done with a car that was gutted, full slicks, race brakes, different suspension, full aero, and didn't complete a single full lap anywhere near that time? It was done in segments and then they proudly claimed they're fastest. The cult of Elon has spoken however, and they fully believe that the car does all this amazing stuff.

willcrook, Face76, Gh21631 and 2 others like this.
  8. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    I like him but man on youtube there are so many channels ready to lick the floor he’s walked on. He can’t do no wrong by them, really puts me off. Does Tesla pay them for the support or are they just stock holders?

9. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I don't like him and definitely don't like his fans. I have a few friends that worship the very ground he walks on. Some blogs are so pro Tesla it's hard to think they're NOT paid. For sure insideEV's has been getting information beforehand so they can publish pro-Tesla idiocy, especially when Tesla was on verge of Collapse. Even when ships where coming/going and how many cars where on it. Not a single manufacturer has ever thought that was news-worthy...

10. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    They don’t pay for traditional advertising so would make sense they thought of having youtube channels support them instead.
    In that case, at least for me, they’re backfiring though as the arse-licking is unreal. Worst of all some creepy Australian guy who does “Solving the money problem” (stupid name). Looks like he could do with a mouthful of Elon...

11. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
  12. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #12 boxerman, Sep 23, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    To his credit Musk created the first desireable electric car. Plus an entire cool car brand. Who else has started and built a successful mass car brand post ww2.

as to this new car. One lap of a track is a stunt. Admittedly all the supercar manufacturers are guilty here. Sustained laps is what counts and so far no electric can hack it.

out on the road though Tesla electrics do have useable range And their performance to 120 mph is untouchable.

drive a good electric and it’s simply a superior power train. The response is immediate and exact in a way no ice car can compete with.

for track though electrics are still too heavy and totally lack endurance. From what I’ve read there will need to be quantum leaps in battery energy density to match an ice car on track in terms of weight and endurance over say 30 mins.

If a one lap stunt can be used to sell a corvette Or maclaren then it’s far game for Tesla.

ekectrics are another dimension in performance. If we have accepted modern cars with eps paddles Lazy turbos and muted exhausts cause that’s progress why not electrics. It’s not as though modern ice power plants are so “evocative” anymore or modern cars so feedbacky or talkative to the driver. Theyre all computer driven and synthesized, electrics are a logical next step and in many ways do performance better.

ice will live on through boutique firms like singer. Ferrari in due course will capitulate and build an electric not only because of legislation but also because the 1 lap metric will be so compelling. Most buy cars on paper stats. Very few know or really care about sustained track performance.

maybe we’ll see a divergence with manufactures offering electric and ice sports cars. The ekectrics will hav superior paper numbers and comfort and the ice car will be free to return to its more raw and visceral roots. We might bet better more evocative ice cars. It’s will be a great niche.

13. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Considering there is no 'Production' car yet and won't be for at least a year, it can't be.

Regardless does it really matter? Its a big ass, super heavy, 4-door sedan that can be powered by the sun, that can lap in the same ball-park as a million dollar hyper car.

Sadly I don't know why anyone would bother buying the plaid version for $45k. Its still got the same 10 year old interior as the regular car, doesn't look any different on the outside than the regular car. Its an awful lot of money to go 0.3s faster to 60 and seriously, just as few people will take these to the track as take their P1s to the track.

technom3, tritone, F2003-GA and 2 others like this.
  14. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Well, put a P1 on slicks, use every trick in the book to make it much lighter and see how fast it'll go. Much, much faster. And it'll keep doing it until the petrol runs out....then squeeze in some more and you can keep lapping it as fast as it'll go.

The Tesla will simply overheat it's battery after 3 laps and you'll be sitting there with a small amount of performance, being overtaken by M3's. And because you're on a track, the battery will run out of charge in 12 or so laps and you have to refill for god knows how long...

boxerman likes this.
  15. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

That's all you have left. The car can do 3 laps total. That's my point. Even if it can only do 3 laps, so what. It's a 2 ton 4 doors that laps as fast as a Mclaren P1.

It's impressive but to me it's more depressing bc it really is the end of the cars I love. There is nothing left to justify them from an objective measure.
    Tesla are faster to 60, to 1/4 mile and now around a track.

The only consolation point is that since it rendered all these supercars obsolete, might as well just enjoy the really obsolete ones like a 355 or a Diablo.

16. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    It is impressive.

17. artsd

artsd Formula Junior
    Owner

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    Art
    I don't understand the disdain for Tesla on FChat. We are at about the Model-T era in electric car evolution and the capabilities and performance are amazing. Will Tesla ever be a great race car? Probably not. They did demonstrate full battery swap in about 60 seconds but of course that doesn't compare to typical race car refueling time, mileage, or weight.

99.99% of Tesla drivers will never take their car on a race track, even if it was fully capable. A few stop-light grand prix on their daily commute is plenty exciting enough for your average person. I would guess < 1% of Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, or even Porsche owners will ever take their car on a race track either.

Look at the 2020 Le Mans results last weekend where Aston Martin won in GTE PRO and GTE AM. Is the average Aston Martin owner ever going to track their car? No way. But the racing heritage and success still helps sell cars. So if Tesla can say their car has faster 0-60 of almost any car in the world, regardless of price, that is great. Who cares if it can only do a few of those extreme 0-60 runs in a few minutes and then have to wait for the batteries to cool.

tritone and Jaguar36 like this.
  18. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Just one of the many reasons I have lost interest in new Ferraris.
    Vintage stuff, fully analogue, with slick manual is what I lean to nowadays.
    Driving a modern Ferrari that can be enjoyed only at over triple digits, doing all the hard driving for you (even drifting does not need the skill anymore), just doesn't seem as enjoyable for me as it used to be.
    Being blown away by an electric appliance at any speed is not helping either.
    Depressing indeed, to keep the excitement going I am looking at various vintage cars to find the best fit.
    My wife's Lusso was the last new Ferrari I bought, didn't even want to drive it, since I did not enjoy that car at all.

boxerman, Bas, amenasce and 1 other person like this.
  19. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yup, a stick CS/Scud/458 wld be a perfect.

Bas and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  20. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Plus 1000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bas likes this.
  21. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
  22. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    I happened to be there on sunday evening loading up after a track day. Tesla had just arrived and were setting up. I didn't realize they were going for a lap record (I did see the car on track around 6:30 to 7 pm or so.

I was also there a couple of months ago at an HPDE when they set the 1:35 lap time. Fully gutted car, full roll cage, different aero bits, michelin slicks (can't really remember the tire part). Randy Pobst driving it.

paulchua, Thecadster and Bas like this.
  23. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    You seem to be really out of touch... I had Senna and P1 on track at Laguna Seca last sunday (same day they were setting their lap time)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Ok, so we can confirm the lap time is absolute ********* then:p

I don't know if it's possible to put more charge through the electric motors and generate more power than whatever they're rated at. If yes, They'll almost certainly did that as well.

Ok lets take a P1/Senna, throw slicks on, up the boost, adjust suspension to be more track focused.

Hell we don't even need to do that. P1 LM on road tyres did a 6.43 on the 'ring, more than half a minute faster than the Model S plaid....which did only sections of the track timed and added all times up together, as it broke down/overheated/had to recharge constantly.

So Tesla...I'm pretty damn sure this ''record'' is nowhere near a production legal car, lol.

FWIW, on the ring lap records acceptable modifications are typically a full racing seat + harness, but also the adding of a roll cage normally which gains any weight loss back. For the rest the cars are typically fully road spec, including tyres. Not Tesla's race car.

25. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Did you miss my previous post? There is no production Plaid Tesla yet. It can't be a production car record because there is no production car yet. Nor has Tesla ever claimed it was a production car record. Tesla has released very little info on the car. The picture on their site is just of the standard car, so who knows what tires, seat, aero bits, suspension setup, or even cage they'll include. And since Tesla is the OEM they get to set the ratings for their motors.

I don't know why you seem hell bent on 'disproving' this laptime. Take it for what it is, an extremely impressive laptime of a developmental test mule.

boxerman likes this.