Painting calipers | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Painting calipers

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by XselR8, Sep 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. XselR8

XselR8 Rookie

Aug 16, 2020
    renton, wa
    Full Name:
    brian
    Mine actually looks pretty good now. I have the anthracite colored wheels. Im off yellow now haha. Just saved myself $3500 lol

2. XselR8

XselR8 Rookie

Aug 16, 2020
    renton, wa
    Full Name:
    brian
    It actually looks pretty good now. I have the charcoal wheels

MANDALAY likes this.
  3. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Mine were all done for about $500 - $700.

4. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Isn't the Ferrari decal on upside down?

EDIT: I guess not... I see the original one is the same.

Ray

5. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    The calipers are usually pretty dirty. Anyone saying they can be painted while on the car is dreaming.

Ray

dustman likes this.
  6. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #31 Shadowfax, Sep 23, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    Yellow calipers on a red Ferrari look hot!!!!

The fact old dusty doesn't like them only confirms they are the best choice!

Yellow looks hot on Red, black, grey, yellow, blue cars, etc etc etc. Why hide the brakes with black!? Yellow calipers are also widely seen by most car guys as being indicative of Ceramic brakes.

On a Porsche for eg Red is for steel, silver and black is the basic low end brakes on a Porsche. The yellow is reserved for their high end PCCB!

7. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Yellow looks good on black or blue or white, but I'm with Dustman: yellow on a red car makes me want to order a McFlurry.

Ray

8. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    You guys live on Mc'donald's that's your problem. Those yellow arches are burn't into your brains.:D

rob5819 likes this.
  9. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    In-n-out, technically, but you've got the right idea haha.

Ray

rob5819 likes this.
  10. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Pretty sure Dusty eats it for breaky lunch and dinner - has big macs coming out his ears.:D

11. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Everybody knows Ronald McDonald drives a 599!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I got quoted a crazy high price from the local independent to paint my calipers yellow from silver, it was like $2000. I would do it for $500-600.

12. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007

Tell me that is not a real car, rather a photoshop?!

13. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Mine were $950 painted on the car. I watched most of the process. The car was covered in plastic and everything was masked off. The caliper and carbon ceramic discs were removed. The calipers was cleaned several times, then masked off and painted. The decals were applied then several coats of clear was applied. It took the guy and his helper 9 hours from start to finish. He does all the caliper painting for Ferrari of Long Beach. This was done at my buddies shop in Santa Clarita.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

vjd3 likes this.
  14. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
  15. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I guess I don't understand why if they removed the caliper to clean it, why they wouldn't just paint it off the car? Unless you mean the disc and the pads?

16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Good grief that is hideous. They won't allow a girl a pink car with a black interior, but they will allow some dingbat this atrocious creation? Yep, 2000's era Ferrari logic at its finest.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  17. ohared

ohared Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 14, 2009
    Anyone know a good source for some yellow touch up enamel paint for the brake callipers.

18. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
  19. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Can I point out something. My background.

The painting system that Brembo follows as outlined below is done for a reason. Changing the colour is easy but I'm anal and would want perfection. No spray can will ever give you what Brembo does. So think about that when its peeling , fading etc.
    I know there will always be someone to state rubbish, " mine has lasted 10 years " and so on, but its not the same. IMO also Do Not powdercoat

The Brembo paint cycle is a long and complex process, which Brembo has perfected over the years. It includes, among other steps, applying an epoxy primer, polyurethane paint and transparent acrylic paint.

A dedicated system is used. A tunnel is used for 3 phases of pre-treatment spraying: the cycle includes painting booths and a baking oven. Colour is then applied to the calipers: this is done by hand and workers are specifically trained for the task. The calipers are then sent to another special oven. The next step includes branding the brakes by means of screen printing and tampography.
    The painting process is completed by adding a transparent layer of paint.

Caeruleus11 and Nospinzone like this.
  20. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #45 Shadowfax, Sep 23, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    Dustman would kill to have his number plate swinging off the back of that.:D In fact its probably his but just doesn't want to fess up to it. I'm picturing him driving this baby into his favorite Golden Arches drive through to pick up a few quarter pounders and a bag of fries for dinner.

21. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Sorry I need to clarify.
    They removed the discs and pads and removed the calipers from their mounting points on the car. They didn’t open the brake lines.

vjd3 likes this.
  22. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    No... as long as you wear proper attire... Red wig and big clown shoes....

Just kidding!!! I personally like the contrast. Everybody knows that when the word Ferrari gets mentioned, automatically you think of Rosso Corsa or some shade of bight red and Tan. I just try to avoid the usual Ferrari colors, I like the unexpected...

mdrums likes this.
  23. Chadly

Chadly Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2010
    Bothell, WA
    Full Name:
    Chad
    People that talk up what they have are cool. People who talk down on what they don't have are insecure and are trying to compensate... Get what you think is cool. Don't let a bunch of keyboard jockeys convince you otherwise. I'm going to go cry in the corner now because I have a Ronald Mcdonald F12

jomarti1, mdrums and Ash Patel like this.
  24. Stams

Stams Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2020
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Sean
    The dealer said he could do that on the car for that price. Said 3k to take them off the car and do it “right” IMO

I used to think the yellow calipers really looked good with the badge, but I think I like just a hint of yellow.

And the diamond cut rims are gorgeous. The black really allows you to focus on the wheels.

I think I am going to keep her this way. Would you call that Nero opaco?

Hope I don’t jinx the deal by posting photos early!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Boomhauer and dustman like this.
  25. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I have the diamond cut wheels and really wanted the yellow calipers when I first got the car. (That’s what I was used to). I wasn’t crazy about the silver, but now I can say that after getting used to them and having them over 2 years, I really like them a lot and actually prefer them. I like that the color is much more rare.
    I also like that they use the same exact wheel/ caliper combo on the 458 advertising brochure.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

MANDALAY and dustman like this.