355 - BBK install.... questions.... | FerrariChat

355 BBK install.... questions....

Discussion in '348/355' started by jeffdavison, Sep 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    I am going to install a Stoptech BBK on my F355. Have some questions regarding bleeding and the ABS. If I do one corner at a time, will I need to use an SD2 or Leonardo to bleed the system? I'm sure that air will make it's way into the system and I've read that if this happens that the above mentioned equipment is needed to purge the lines. I'm "hoping" the one corner at a time (and bleeding manually each time) will negate the need for th external method of ABS purging. Anyone done this? Advice? THANKS!!!

2. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    What years car. Teves on 95's Bosch on later cars. Different systems.

3. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
  4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Install no different than just bleeding brakes just more air in system. The upstream isn’t a problem unless you make it so.

jeffdavison likes this.
  5. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    Thanks FBB..... I'll be giving it a go in a few weeks. I am playing with the idea of getting a single make/model Leonardo. I'll be keeping the car for a long time and almost justify the tool as I'll be doing most of my own work on it, but the ABS probably be the only system I'd need to actively play with and an ordinary code reader would tell me things that would be above my pay grade to DIY.

6. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

I did the Stoptech kit years ago. Simple bleeding but when I did the rears, I needed the ignition on to bleed them. You will be so impressed with these brakes.
    No comparison to stock brakes.

7. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Hi Bob
    I never have really understood bigger brakes because mine lock up easy anyway.
    Is it just the peddle pressure which is much lighter for the same braking performance, as I did note that as the brakes got hotter I did need more effort obviously.
    Just trying to get some clarification.
    I have heard this many times by people who have gone large so I know it’s a fact but no one ever really identified how they were saying they were way better.
    No matter how big the brakes are I would think tires and surface would make the difference vs a bigger brake.
    I do know that to brake hard in my car it does take a fair amount of force.
    Thanks

8. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    As a racer I have lots of experience here many times changing to BBK when allowed by rules. Racing or Tracking the car or even illegal aggressive canyon running at higher speeds generates more heat everywhere. 99% of streetcars converted to track use need more engine/trans/diff/brake cooling. BBK is all about cooling, pedal feel, consistency of brakes over the race distance, endurance, and part longevity. 99% of street brakes are just fine on the occasional highspeed panic stop or three. A 20min session and anyone with skill will destroy 99% of factory brakes. Before we were allowed BBK racing C5Z06 vettes we would crack rotors on the 3rd day of use, waste pads in 2 days, and bend the calipers over a 1 year season. All that was disposable. When Stoptech developed the T1 racing kit on my racecar we changed rotors every other year, pads lasts about 4 races, and it was 10 years before rebuilding the perfectly functional calipers. I no longer even had to bleed the brakes for the next race weekend but I did as part of pre-race prep. ABS and stopping distance is really a tire thing. So a small brake or big brake isn't going to matter very much. What matters is that a well driven car with better brakes makes it easier to modulate the brakes and run them right up to just before ABS and your distances will be shorter and more controlled. A funny thing about racing or tracking is that from a driver development point of view just about every driver can be made faster by learning how to use the brakes better. There is more to it than mashing the pedal into ABS. Even ABS is programed just like our traction control. Just about everyone knows you are faster without traction control. Why would you brake better with ABS software but not go faster with traction control software? Well for 1 big thing street ABS and traction control are optimized for the street not going fast. Second there is more to ABS than just software that prevents wheels locking up. Take something like Bosch motorsport ABS and you are into a whole new kettle of fish.

9. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

Better feel, no fade on a track. It definitely stops shorter distance even on street. Go 90mph off a exit ramp and stomp on the brake, you will hit the windshield if not tightly belted in. I used to track mine a little but BBK not necessary for street. I used to run a 255 front tire on 9" rim and that made brakes that much better. Stoptech makes a great product. I didn't lock up the Stoptech as much as stock brakes.

10. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    So would you say other that the obvious brake fade is non existent
    The main thing would be the modulation is way better. Ie less pressure , more brake so under extremes braking you have more travel to modulate.
    Or something like that

11. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

To me main thing is stopping distance is so much shorter. More g force when braking. Looks so much better. Calipers are huge. Lighter weight by far over stock. Less unsprung weight. Other thsn price, no downside.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login