Any serial number collectors around? | FerrariChat

Any serial number collectors around?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Lars Theunissen, Jun 2, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lars Theunissen

Lars Theunissen F1 Veteran

Mar 2, 2005
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Lars Theunissen
    Hello Ferrari friends around the world,

For about 17 years now, I have been keeping a database on individual Ferrari cars by serial number (chassis number, VIN). Since about six years, I have added a similar database on modern Lamborghinis too (Countach to current production).

This means I collect details like model, colours, plate and ownership history, when/where a car has been for sale (with mileage and price), crashes and modifications.
    For me it is very interesting to follow the individual cars this way, as many have quite surprising histories. You will see some examples originally delivered in Europe being sold to the USA, going through several owners & dealers there, being sold to Japan, then back to the USA, meanwhile having been restored with new paint & interior. Just as an example!

Now, there are thousands of people (or should I say: men) worldwide taking down numbers and keeping databases on airplanes or trains ("spotters"). But car-s/n-spotters are somehow a much more rare species. So I'm wondering, are there more people with the same hobby/passion like me out there? If yes, it would be nice to get in touch with you!
    You can respond to this thread, or send me a pm if you like.

Ciao,

Lars T.

2. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Lars,

There are registries maintained by various people, most of whom post here that have the details you are looking for for each model.

Now, I have a question for you: Do you have any info on 7919? :)

Regards,

Art S.

3. yale

yale Formula Junior

May 2, 2004
    New York City
    Dear Lars,

I think no one answered your question because there are quite a few collectors of Ferrari Telaio and many of them are easy to find on the web. So possibly your question was nonsensical for many here with the answers.

Anyway here is a selection from Kerry's 330 Registry:

Dino 206, 246 www.dinoregister.com
    Dino 208/308 GT4 www.dino-gt4-registry.com
    Dino 208/308 GT4 www.dinogt4register.com
    250 GTE, 330 [email protected]
    250 GT PF [email protected]
    250 GT PF Coupe web.mac.com/ferrari250pfcoupe
    308 [email protected]
    308 QV www.308qvregister.com
    328 www.ferrari328.com/registry
    330 GT 2+2, 330 America www.parrotbyte.com/330GTRegistry
    330 GTC/S, GT 2+2, America www.330register.com
    365 BB, 512 BB (Berlinetta Boxer)www.masiarz.net/bb_resource
    365 GTB/4 (Daytona)www.ferrariregistry.net
    365 GTC/4 www.365gtc4.com

Then of course there are quite a few personal registries like yours. I kept one for four headlight 330s for instance and FML have a very extensive one as does Michael Sheehan. What era cars are you tracking?

Best,

Yale

4. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
  5. Lars Theunissen

Mar 2, 2005
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Lars Theunissen
    Hello Art,

I'm working on getting more info on 7919, also through my fellow s/n-friends. I´ll get back to you within the next few days, ok?

Best regards

Lars T.

6. Lars Theunissen

Mar 2, 2005
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Lars Theunissen
    Hello Yale,

Thank you for your reply to my thread and the list with registers. Actually several of these are kept by friends of mine who I have often known for many years. Still, thank you for forwarding this list!

The object of my thread was to find people with the s/n hobby that I didn't yet know. And it was quite succesful already, as I got pm from about 15 new people with the same hobby as me. It´s indeed especially the personal register-people that was looking for and there seem to be more of these than I thought.

My own interest in Ferrari s/ns is very wide, so I collect everything from the classics to the most modern cars. Then modern Lamborghinis too. It´s a huge task, but it keeps me busy :)
    My register has over 61,000 Ferraris now (and 5,000 Lambo´s), with probably around 20,000 more Ferrari s/ns waiting in magazines (FML f.e.), books and several lists to be entered.
    No risk of getting bored...

Ciao,

Lars T.

7. DB8769

DB8769 Rookie

Sep 18, 2020
    Full Name:
    Darren Benedetto

8. DB8769

DB8769 Rookie

Sep 18, 2020
    Full Name:
    Darren Benedetto
    Hi Lars,

I've just started looking up on the net for chassis numbers,colour outside and in and factory completed for Dino 206GT and 246GT L-series only.

I'm finding it a little difficult.

Could you help.

Thanks,

Darren

9. epdowd

epdowd Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Wilson
  10. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I collect Daytonas VIN (Coupe, Cut and Spiders). I do it for my personal self enjoyment. Anytime I see a Daytona anywhere or on paper I would log it in my spread sheet. VIN, Date, Color Combo, miles, where I saw, maybe a few random notes... I've been doing it for 30 years, and it's just fun.

11. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Darren

Lars is long gone and plays with Porsches nowadays. No longer interested in Ferraris.
    I did send you information on the Dinos, the stuff you asked for. See my email from a couple days ago.

Marcel Massini