328 motor mounts question | FerrariChat

328 motor mounts question

Discussion in '308/328' started by lopena, Sep 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    My 1988 328GTB is now 32 years old. Admittedly, it has led a relatively easy life and is in very nice condition throughout.

However, I’m starting to wonder about the condition of the original motor mounts. Mind you, the car drives very well with smooth shifting, no weird noises or other indications of trouble.

My question is: what should I look (or listen) for to determine whether my motor mounts are ready for replacement?

Many thanks, as always...

Alan
    N.J.

2. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Look for increased difficulty in shifting when the assembly drops as well as increased engine temp as the pan scrapes the highway... ;-) I know, not helpful but thats the way my mind works.

Lester

3. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    And associated sparks from same.

4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Put a jack under the engine and gearbox, use a piece of wood to support the jacking point. Lightly lift up on the engine. If the engine moves any distance before the body frame also goes up, replace the engine mount.

bertrand328 likes this.
  5. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    The 308 motor mounts (I'm assuming 328 are the same) are primarily a big steel spring, not a rubber pad or donut like most cars. As such they don't degrade in the same way. Do a search for engine mounts here and you'll find threads about what's inside.

waymar likes this.
  6. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Thanks, Mitchell...I’ll give that a try.

many thanks!
    Alan

7. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Replace them, no questions asked, I had more improvement ,and feel when I did all 4 motor mounts than when I replaced the entire suspension. Do yourself a favor, and replace them. Its that simple.

8. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Thanks for your advice, Gino. I now have this scheduled as a winter project.

Alsn
    N.J.