Project-Scuderia | Page 26 | FerrariChat

Project-Scuderia

Discussion in '360/430' started by RBM, Nov 7, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    R-Tuned, the same company that made the composite engine bay panel and the composite center console covers discussed earlier in the thread. You may want to follow the rest of this discussion before you make any decision.

2. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
  3. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
  4. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
  5. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    Blue painter's tape to create the template for the notch that provides clearance for the F430 hood latch. Titanium bolts already test-fitted. A Dremel tool is a life-saver for this type of small, precision fabrication work.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    duck.co.za, Performify and mwstewart like this.
  7. Metalguru

Metalguru Rookie

May 12, 2019
    Full Name:
    Paul Brewer
    I worked in crash safety for a domestic OEM.
    While computational crash testing is extensively used, modal (physical) crash testing is still a big part of safety programs. Interactions between components in the physical world are still difficult to model with 100% certainty, therefor no one is going to certify based solely on computational testing. The legal stakes are too high.

8. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    Because the new hood was designed for a RHD car, the hood vents to the cabin air filter intake were on the wrong side. I marked off a template for the vent openings on the correct side, using more blue tape.

9. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
  10. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
  11. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    I totally agree. Physical crash testing will be around for awhile as the 'final exam'. Government regulators will keep mandating it until the science improves, the software improves, and there's a LOT more data.

But once you have a complete car and all its parts that have been through computational and modal crash testing, it's easier to reverse-engineer individual parts with a high degree of confidence. CAE and FEA enable an engineer to run a part through a large number of load cases, that was just not possible even 15 years ago.

12. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
  13. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    day355 likes this.
  14. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    wow that’s a lot of work for an expensive part...mad props.

15. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
  16. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    The next task is to install windshield washers in the new hood. Here's a shot of the OEM hood where the fluid feed line enters the hood, and one of the washer nozzles un-clipped from the hood.

RANDY6005 likes this.
  17. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    The new hood did not have an entry port for the windshield washer hose, so a port needs to be drilled for a grommet sized for the rubber hose to the nozzles.

18. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    A countersink bit is great for drilling holes for rubber grommets. It drills a very clean hole in composites, like carbon fiber and fiberglass.

19. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    RANDY6005 likes this.
  20. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    RBM are using Ti bolts for your front anti roll bar ? I really like what you are doing, I started a couple months ago installing Ti fasteners every where it has been a big lesson. Wanted to replace steering axel hub and brake calipers was advised of sheering would not be safe. Worried about my front anti roll having installed 8mm hex head blots maybe sheering ?

21. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
  22. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    I have racing drop links on my anti-roll bars with Ti hardware connecting the links to the bars. The bolts are specially made to clear the tie rod ends as they rotate. I have not changed the hardware the attaches the anti-roll bars to the chassis. The bolts hold the clamps that hold the bars. The bars are loaded in torsion, and if they are applying any load to the chassis, it is a slight bending load, most of which is applied to the clamps. There should be very little load on the bolts, so you should be fine, if you used the appropriate Ti grade bolts, as discussed earlier in the thread.

23. duck.co.za

duck.co.za Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2007
    Cape Town South Afri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Please post a pic of your drop links . I have been thinking of doing the same . I assume they are length adjustable so they can be set on a flat patch with no preload on the roll bar ?

24. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    The OEM windshield washing system has a combined splitter/check valve in the line to the nozzles in the hood. Two key functions required for proper operation of the washers is balancing pressure between the nozzles, and keeping the lines charged with fluid to prevent delays when the driver hits the button. The new system will have to have the same features. Also note the clips that hold the valve and hoses in place.

25. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    Extensive photos and data on the drop links posted starting at post #179 on page 8.

duck.co.za and RANDY6005 like this.