Stripped a hole---composite material | FerrariChat

Stripped a hole---composite material

Discussion in '360/430' started by 24000rpm, Sep 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

its an interior part.
    so the screw goes into this hole and now even though I can still thread the screw in, it can be easily pull out by hand. So what's my options here?

Epoxy and wait it to be dried and screw in again?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Since epoxy won't actually bond to itself chemically, the best thing to do would be to drill it out a bit, wallowing the bottom of the hole bigger than the entrance so that the epoxy forms a plug. Blow out the dust and work the fresh epoxy into the hole so it is completely filled without air bubbles. I suggest one of the gelled epoxies like JB Weld so it won't run out and you can mix a small amount.

Once the epoxy is set (a couple of hours), drill a pilot hole and carefully run the screw in, then remove it. Let the epoxy completely set (24 hrs) and now you're ready to go with a tapped screw hole that should last forever.

albkid, Il Tifoso, S F and 3 others like this.
  3. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    I like the response. I assume this is a self tapping or sheet metal screw. I personally like to lightly thread the screw into the epoxy (jb weld) while it’s still soft and let the screw set in the epoxy. After it sets back the screw out, then you have a threaded component to screw into.

What is this part and what is the screw screwing into. If it’s a plastic that has stripped out where the screw threads into, I’ve got a lot of success with a little bit of q-bond into a hole then placing a screw into it. I also use this in my wood cabinets at home when one of the screws for a hinge strips out.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    I’ve had some really good experience with a product called Plastex. Super easy to use and very durable. I would put a link but I think since they aren’t a sponsor the link will probably be blocked. Repaired my front bumper tabs with this material.

5. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    There's a two part urethane product by 3M called 8115. It is available from Auto Body Paint stores. It is great stuff but not cheap. It takes a special "caulking" gun that you have to have also.
    But because it's urethane and not an epoxy, it really bonds to everything very well. I know it's only one screw hole but you will find tons of uses for it.

Back the hole with masking tape or foil tape, and fill it with the 8115 and build a slight "mound" around the hole for more surface area grip. After it has sat overnight, drill it and screw right into it. Truly is amazing stuff. High heat resistance, dries way harder than epoxy.
    It bonds almost anything and you have a significant amount of work time with it. It is used in the industry to bond structural fiberglass and composite panels and materials to one another and to metal -- think Corvette repair panels.

24000rpm likes this.
  6. rwk360

rwk360 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2005
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    R W Kenton
    I had very good luck (on my 356 with the same issues) by filling the hole completely with JB Weld (an absolute must for any garage), and following full cure, drilling a pilot hole, then carefully rethreading the hole with the proper tap.