08310 for sale on Bring a Trailer | FerrariChat

08310 for sale on Bring a Trailer

Discussion in '206/246' started by Neelfryer, Sep 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    What do the experts see on this one?

2. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Could be a benchmark.

3. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    No expert - but loads wrong with it.

4. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    What happened to all the BAT threads on prior FS Dinos?
    Are they not permitted and removed and is there some ruling on posts I'm unaware of ?

5. Ken Ivey

Ken Ivey Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Full Name:
    Ken Ivey
    If you search on Dino 246 you'll get a link to the current offering, followed by a chart of sales prices and the prior auctions. This link shoudl work:

https://bringatrailer.com/ferrari/dino/

6. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris

Could you expand on this please?

7. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Apologies, not BAT but Ferrarichat.
    I phrased that incorrectly, let me try again

On Ferrarichat, there were many threads about BAT auctions Dinos when they came up for sale. I now no longer see those FerrariChat threads, were they consolidated or deemed a violation of some sort?

8. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #9 synchro, Sep 18, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    What do you think of the color?
    Rob & Paul have gone through the agony (pleasure?) of trying to get Giallo correct on a Dino - perhaps one of them will chime in on this example

Also, front passenger's side fender flare looks replaced

9. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Later photo shows correct angle of passenger's side front flare, I stand corrected.

Two windows have glass dated March 1974, is this after production?
    The rest are from July or Dec 1973
    Panel 46 shows an out of range date, so I'm stumped on that

View attachment 3007569

10. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Not really as we are always accused of nitpicking but several faults and obvious at a quick glance.

Wrong clock, wrong lower body black lines, front bumpers,headlamps,replica dino badge,floor mats,wrong vinyl on centre console, wrong door pockets, rear firewall top bulkhead wrong vinyl direction, washer pipe, no vinyl behind finger pull, wrong undertrays and no battery heatshield, low compression etc

Tony

375+ likes this.
  11. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thank you Tony.

12. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    I don't see anything wrong with the front bumper, Tony. Remember, the US version used the long bumpers hooked into the grille - as on this car. Or do you see something else wrong with them?

Also don't see anything wrong with the headlights. They look like the correct US sealed beams. On the left one, I can see that it appears to be a Wagner 6014, which would be a correct replacement for the Westinghouse 6012/6014 unit. The Westinghouses are of course long gone (although I still have a pair left over, if somebody is interested).

Agree on some of the other nitpicks (black paint, etc.) but on the whole I think this car looks quite correct.

We all have our favourite nitpicks, though: I am more bothered with the dashboard covering. I find it hard to believe the explanation that it has "smoothed out over time". If so, they never wear off that evenly across the whole surface. I believe it has been replaced - with not quite the correct material. Not the end of the world, of course. But it would bother me.

13. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    The door cards have been made incorrectly. They should be made in two pieces for a leather interior with the ribbed insert panel mounted on a separate board and then fixed to the main panel. The trimmer of this car has evidently followed the heat stitched vinyl door card as a template and simply stitched the middle section to look like an insert panel.

14. Ken Ivey

Ken Ivey Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Full Name:
    Ken Ivey
    Synchro,

You've probably don this before, but... Click the three horizontal bars at the top left of the screen, click on the "down arrow" next to Forum, next on Search Forums - enter Key Word "BAT", select 206/246 in "Search in Forum", finally hit the red "Search" at the bottom. You'll get a number of threads from which to choose.

15. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    While not intimately familiar with Dino details nor do I generally put much weight on incorrect aesthetics as many are easy enough to fix/sort out, but the most concerning feature I see after a quick cursory look at pictures is the amounts and concentration of dents, etc present on the bottoms of the main (thin wall, oval) chassis tubes, likely caused by lifting (with floor jack ?) and/or supporting (with jack stands ?) the car directly from them and not only due to difficulties involved correcting them, but the potential of chassis structural integrity being somewhat or perhaps even severely compromised because of them and almost begging a question if the chassis is actually square & straight.

375+ likes this.
  16. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Thanks Lars, the headlamps are odd makes and the LH front bumper is out of alignment (left hand side front pic) maybe bent bracket or drilled in wrong place?
    The dash covering worried me as well but my list wasnt exhaustive.:)

I'd be happy with the car at the right price but as you know, to get those items rectified can be expensive if you are not capable. Depends how fussy you were?
    Tony

Teehan and DinoLasse like this.
  17. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John
    also under the AUCTIONS tab you can click and PREMIUM comes up

click that and it will show the small handful of active listings that are PREMIUM

it is mostly classic european cars

18. Teehan

Teehan Rookie

Sep 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Geoff Teehan
    I'm quite interested in this car despite its misses. It seems to me that really well restored and kept cars like this fetch ~$500k at auction. This is sitting at $330k, but I suspect there are last minute lurkers waiting to bid.

For what looks to be a solid driver, at what price would you consider this well-bought?

I've been looking for a couple of years and I don't want another one to slip by, but I also don't want to pay concours prices for a solid keeper/driver. Any help greatly appreciated.

19. vrooom

vrooom Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007
    $ 400,000 = well bought , reserve must be around that , otherwise it will not sell is my guess.

20. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John
    just my opinion on the current market ...

and because i watch a fair amount of BAT auctions

I'm gonna guess that this will be a "no sale"

this owner has put a lot of time and money into this car

and i have to think his reserve is near 500

i say "no sale" with a bid in the mid-400's

this is my wild, purely speculative guess

21. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John
    1971 - i like the look of this car ...

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/820267985/overview/

and full disclosure, i bought my '74 GTS from Tom 3-4 years ago and continue to be very happy with it - I check their site to see what they have from time to time

22. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    I would call this car far more than a “driver”.

It has had a tremendous amount of time and money spent making it right.

As much as it has small things that could be corrected, one must look through the documentation to see when lots of this was done. Back then, very few cared about such details. There were not many vendors focused on Dino’s. There wasn’t a Dino Compendium around to help nit-pick small things.

This is a pretty amazing Dino. I have seen it in person. I would suggest calling DriverSource with any questions you have, they are easy to talk to people.

I do not believe this Dino will sell for cheap, nor does it deserve to do so.

Shawn

Texas Forever likes this.
  23. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Its a good looking car but it has detail faults which can be rectified but if you are unable to undertake the work yourself could prove expensive, some are not minor issues, but thats if you want to rectify them.
    The thing to bear in mind is that if and when you sell the car, these items will be picked up by someone else on resale. Original Dino items are notoriously expensive, ie the clock.
    so long as you go in with your eyes open, aware of the problems, then enjoy the dino experience.
    Tony

24. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Congratulations Geoff!

Welcome to the Dino club, you are going to love this Dino.
    Shawn

GermanDino likes this.