Ferrari of San Antonio sold me a damaged CPO car, lied to me, refuses to make it right. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari of San Antonio sold me a damaged CPO car, lied to me, refuses to make it right.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by dgoldenz94, Sep 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dgoldenz94

dgoldenz94 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 13, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    David Gold
    i don’t expect perfection, I expect a CPO car to be in reasonably good condition. My first car was a 1989 Lincoln Town Car with 240,000 miles on it that was in better condition than this. My last car before this was a 2014 991 GT3 with 43k miles and it looked better than brand new.

Porsche CPO cars are always in incredibly good condition otherwise they won’t be CPO’d. They also seem to stand behind their product a lot more than Ferrari does.

Ray Smith, PTG1, tritone and 4 others like this.
  2. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    no. This may be an isolated situation with the dealer, sales, and GM. Not at all about Porsche vs Ferrari. Nether side is ever greener. Don't get me started with BOTH brands.

technom3, paulchua, sisiay and 2 others like this.
  3. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Squeaky wheel gets the grease. Call them every single day, twice or more until they get so sick of you that it's worth the $1500 to have to deal with you. Most likely you'll never be able to buy a car from them again, but do you really want to?

OR...decide it's not worth your time to try to recover the 1500 and forget about it. In the future, NEVER work out anything over the phone, unless they are willing to text you the details or be recorded, first option best. I just had to do something similar with an insurance company that was trying to screw me. The woman asked to work things out over the phone, so when she called, the first thing I asked was permission to record the phone call. She said no. They soon decided I wasn't worth their time to try to pursue.

Texas Forever likes this.
  4. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

That's just awful; I too would be infuriated. You just don't expect a Ferrari dealer to behave in such a deceptive fashion (lying). WTF were they thinking? Never mind, they weren't thinking, just doing what low-life car dealers ..... steal. Within the last three years, I bought one car in Fresno and two in Atlanta. Each car was exactly as described ..... but ..... I flew out to make certain and to ensure the integrity of the transaction in person. The Atlanta cars I drove home (fun trips); the Fesno car I had shipped (fun waiting for it to arrive). Bottom line .... caveat emptor. I know it's too late to close the barn door, but I'd consider legal council for darn sure.

Jack-the-lad, Ray Smith, vraa and 2 others like this.
  5. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    ^ this , without reading anymore...

paulchua, vraa and GatorFL like this.
  6. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    90% of the mistakes in this case were made by the buyer.....those of us who have been here awhile have seen this scenario play out hundreds of times.

And isn’t the FF ugly enough without a blue interior.....LOL

7. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

1500 ? I would say that’s a cheap lesson learned given the 100k downside. I would just let it go , otherwise you will get dragged. Best , Kirk.

8. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Without the dealer's side of the story, we have only what the OP has posted to go on. Given that:

Sorry you got a bum deal, but as several have said, getting out with only a $1500 loss and a couple car insurance payments isn't nearly as bad an outcome as you might have had. The car could still be sitting in your garage, the dealer could be taking a, "You bought it, you own it" attitude and a lengthy legal battle could have been in your future with uncertain results. Never know if a judge would see it their way, after all it's a seven year old used car with a lot of Ferrari miles on it, some would consider a lot of it normal wear.

All in all, despite you and the dealer disagreeing on the condition of the car, it turned out rather well for you, and pretty quickly, as well.

Move on, find yourself a car, and consider this a cheap lesson.

D

9. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    This is one of the more egregious bad experiences ive seen from an authorized dealer. There is no 'other side' to this story unless the OP is lying through his teeth.

Selling a car with that body/leather damage, CPO or not, without divulging it in photos, is vile.

This is a dealer i will never do business with.

10. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Absolutely!!

Marcel Massini

paulchua likes this.
  11. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Amazing the number of you who are blaming the buyer. You guys are enablers. We're not talking about Honest "Your Job is Your Credit" John's car lot. This is an authorized Ferrari dealer. Not disclosing the obvious cosmetic damage is inexcusable.

12. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    Maybe it's me, but when I think CPO Ferrari, I have set in my mind a car that is mechanically AND cosmetically correct. The damage in those photos is inexcusable on an F-car or even a Lexus CPO. Although I understand the constant ribbing because he bought the car sight unseen, I did the same with my first 360 but the dealer sent TONS of photos and videos to accommodate me, plus a friend near the car looked it over as well. Bottom line, this is on the dealer and is a very shady transaction on their part. I'm glad you were made almost whole on the deal.

13. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Sorry- no other side to the story. CPO should have caught the stuff mentioned and mention it to buyer period. End of the story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Exactly, I bought my 360 without flying to Florida to see it in person. but i got pics and video of everything beforehand. It arrived looking even better than I had expected.

AtomicPunk88, ryalex, vraa and 2 others like this.
  15. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Crappy cars come from everywhere, I’ve seen similar stories about CPO Porsches.

The truth is that the buyer could have done a number of things to prevent this:

Insist on the video and photos before purchasing
    See the car himself
    Ask a San Antonio forum dweller to stop by for a look
    Commission a PPI

Buying a 7 year old 48k mile car without doing any of the above is just foolish.

paulchua, GatorFL and MisterMaranello like this.
  16. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    Not cool on the dealer's part but you should have inspected it or insisted on the walk around. Buyer beware.

paulchua and GatorFL like this.
  17. Natkingcolebasket69

Not wrong but CPO from one of the greatest brand in the world should mean something. It’s not your local certified pre owned Honda dealer:

Ray Smith, bjwhite, DF1 and 2 others like this.
  18. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Its frustrating to me how people conflate two distinct discussions. Yes, the buyer could have done better due diligence. Thats a valid discussion.

But, it in no way, absolves the authorized Ferrari dealer of their actions. And thats by far the more important discussion.

19. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I’m taking several of the steps I mentioned above even if my Mother is selling me a car.

vraa likes this.
  20. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Buyers should always exercise due diligence. But, from what I can see, the omissions were over the top. Scrapped valance, paint bubbles, seats that have been redyed. I don't blame the dealer for wanting to make a buck. (I'm guessing they didn't pay much for the car.) But to not disclose, and then get froggy when they got busted is too much.

Maybe there's more to this story, but that's how it looks to me.

21. Natkingcolebasket69

Agreed on that for sure!

anunakki likes this.
  22. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    But I assume none of us know Ferrari’s actual CPO requirements, or the dealer’s standard....deeming something “satisfactory “ as stated on the CPO form can have a HUGE scale of acceptance since “satisfactory “ is more of an opinion than an objective measurement.

Do I think this car is a turd that’s not worth $100k? Yep, but dealers will be dealers regardless of the logo on the door. And unlike hidden damage, this was so easy to see.

paulchua likes this.
  23. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    True. True. True.
    Any sane person would do this.
    How about a little more self-responsibility? Why always blame the other side? That's really too easy.
    It is always, ALWAYS, about due diligence.

Marcel Massini

24. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dale,

Caveat Emptor applies when buying from distance, even from a Ferrari Dealer. And, we don't know the whole story, right? Just the buyer's angle.

And, it's a 50K mile Ferrari, that was clearly driven, and more than a little beat up.

Sure, there does seem to be some fibbin' going on at the dealer, but would you plop down $100K for a car without seeing it first hand? At the very least, the dealer's unwillingness to provide the photos the OP asked for should have been a red flag. And, last but not least, any number of FC guys would have happily done a walk by for the buyer, I've done a couple myself over the years. That would have produced enough photos for the buyer to run before the deal was consummated.

I'm not "blaming" anyone. And the dealer seems to have made it right by the buyer, and PDQ by Ferrari standards. Lots of dealers would have told him to stuff it, even FERRARI dealers. It's not the 20th century anymore, Ferrari Dealers aren't owned by a "guy we all know," they're big time corporate entities, often multiple dealers owned by one group.

And we all get that this thread seems like an attempt at leverage to get his last $1500.00 back as well as serve as a warning to us. I'm ok with that, but motivation is important to understand too.

D

25. robstand

robstand Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 13, 2019
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Robert S.
    One of my friends said, "A Ferrari dealer selling a new Ferrari is a Ferrari dealer. A Ferrari dealer selling a used Ferrari is a used car dealer."

Pithy quote aside, it sucks that the dealer pulled a fast one but try to not let your pride get the better of you. You've probably spent more than $1700 in just your time spent on this. Take the lessons learned and move on with your search. I speak with empathy as someone who has been screwed over because I trust people too easily.

Ray Smith, paulchua, timjen88 and 5 others like this.