Portofino facelift - A new journey begins | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Portofino facelift - A new journey begins

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by coolhandshin, Sep 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 456-boy

456-boy Formula 3

Jun 23, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    Victor
    Thanks for the comparison between the PF and PFM!

Both front and back bumpers have been redesigned. Small air intakes at the from have been enlarged and a small « window » has been added between the light and the wheel.

The back now receives shapes that are more curvy and round, which make it smoother. Glad they have introduced new rims they are nice.

Apart from the overall design is now getting a bit old, compared to the Roma and Monza that introduced the new aesthetic codes.

By getting the same engine and same gearbox as the Roma, Ferrari now rationalises the production and purchase of these elements between two cars which is at the end a gain for them.

Anyway I’m sure this PFM will sell very well and will be enjoyed by future owners.

Have Ferrari announced the approximate date of delivery of the first cars?

2. coolhandshin

coolhandshin Rookie

Nov 24, 2016
    Not an official remark, but I hear the current PF production has already stopped and they will be making the new PFM starting right this month.

I think we can easily expect a very smooth and immediate roll over to the new model, without much trouble, after seeing today's rather subtle upgrades.

456-boy likes this.
  3. coolhandshin

coolhandshin Rookie

Nov 24, 2016
    #78 coolhandshin, Sep 16, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    California launch: October 2008 Paris Motor Show (453hp, 0-100km/h 4s)
    California 30: March 2012 Geneva Motor Show (483hp, 0-100 km/h 3.8s, body weight -30kg, Handling Speciale package)
    California T: March 2014 Geneva Motor Show (553hp, 0-100 km/h 3.6s, turbocharged)
    California T HS: March 2016 Geneva Motor Show

Portofino: September 2017 at Portofino (600hp, 0-100km/h 3.5s)
    Portofino M: September 2020 online reveal (620hp, 0-100km/h 3.45s, 8 DCT, 5 mode manettino)

Portofino E: October 2022 Paris Motor Show (PHEV, two electric motors at front; total output 760hp, 0-100km/h 2.9s)

Wishful thought on the Portofino E, and even more importantly, fully rid of COVID-19 before 2022!!

Garymyman likes this.
  4. Sir_Ferrari

Sir_Ferrari F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian B.
    Love the new Portofino M! The small design changes on the front and the back are an improvement for me. They make the car more beautiful and elegant. Great work Ferrari!

keithos27, Maggio23 and SilverLeaf like this.
  5. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    1) The styling differences are clear to me.
    2) Is the new model really called the Portofino M? That is the license plate on my highly modified Portofino.

6. SilverLeaf

SilverLeaf Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
  7. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    It looks like I will have to come up with a new license plate.

SilverLeaf likes this.
  8. coolhandshin

coolhandshin Rookie

Nov 24, 2016
    Actually, exterior are great already. No need for big changes really. Roma headlights would be unbalanced with the current rear lights anyway.

Just that the cluster is a bit 80's, now that Ferrari is going digital with all the new models. That is a little dissapointing.

Almost feels like buying an outdated car or a used car :(
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. NZCREW

NZCREW Karting

Nov 20, 2018
    Interesting. Not impressed with the exterior changes. I prefer the original. But pleased no Roma headlights. 5 options on manettino, new gearbox and additional HP all good. I quite like the analog nature of many items in the interior... ie start button.

10. SilverLeaf

Feb 1, 2011
    #85 SilverLeaf, Sep 17, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    I prefer a mix of analog and digital as well.

One aspect that hasn't been discussed so far is pricing. I'm seeing references on various car magazine websites that the Portofino M will begin at just under $245,000 (converted from Euro pricing). If true, that's a nearly $30,000 jump over the outgoing car's $215,000 base price. This would also vault it over the $225K base pricing of the Roma, making the Roma the entry level Ferrari in the range.

NZCREW and Mizio like this.
  11. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Portofino E won't have two front electric motors. It will be RWD and will have (very likely) a V6 TT 3.0 liters engine with a gearbox fitted additional electric engine like the F8 replacement

ciao

Caeruleus11, perrinnation and 9nb like this.
  12. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    the changes to the front and the rear make a huge difference. Much nicer rear quarter IMO.

Patricia2020 and perrinnation like this.
  13. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I think the Portofino was only in production for like 2 years, so they tweaked it a bit which is great. I miss mine, not sure why I sold it.. I will probably grab another at some point. They are great DD Ferraris..

Caeruleus11 and Patricia2020 like this.
  14. sandisk

sandisk Karting

Jul 16, 2013
    Just noticed that the Portofino M configurator is already live on the Ferrari App and the original Portofino has been taken down

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Caeruleus11 and 456-boy like this.
  15. perrinnation

perrinnation Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2012
    The Detroit area
    Full Name:
    David
    Not “the same” to my eyes. But not drastically different. Still a looker to be sure.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. perrinnation

Nov 24, 2012
    The Detroit area
    Full Name:
    David
    The side by side pics help make the differences clearer. The M is really nicer looking. More aggressive where it counts.

Patricia2020 likes this.
  17. Griffon83

Griffon83 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2016
    Greece
    Full Name:
    Nassos
    Patricia2020 and Redneck Slim like this.
  18. SilverLeaf

Feb 1, 2011
    Thanks for sharing the configurator. It's nice to be able to see the new bodywork in different colors and in a 360 degree view. It seems like almost all of the options are the same as before, with the addition of the ability to spec a carbon fiber rear bumper cover and the new dynamic spoke wheels.

19. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Agreed. The pictures are quite poor. The Portofino configurator that I used in early 2018 was much better.

20. ZC94

ZC94 Rookie

Nov 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    John Chain
    But those magazine websites don't mention the original Portofino Euro price, I think the percentage jump from each region would be more accurate to predict the MSRP for the US.

21. SilverLeaf

Feb 1, 2011
    It's a fair point, ZC94. We should take their estimates with a grain of salt until US pricing is confirmed. That said, it shouldn't be too surprising to see a modest price increase on the basis of the upgraded spec and "because they can". I'd read yesterday that the pricing in Italy went up by 8% between the old and new models.

ZC94 likes this.
  22. perrinnation

Nov 24, 2012
    The Detroit area
    Full Name:
    David
    Wow. Ferrari should be ashamed to have let that configurator go live. Thats awful.

23. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Doesn't look much diff than before, which admittedly was pretty shoddy for a luxury brand...T

perrinnation likes this.
  24. perrinnation

Nov 24, 2012
    The Detroit area
    Full Name:
    David
    The Portofino M section is what I’m specifically speaking of. It’s actually much worse than the others. It looks like it was rushed.

tomc likes this.