Why don't Japanese sports cars have more street cred compared to European brands? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Why don't Japanese sports cars have more street cred compared to European brands?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by ren0312, May 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    z seems ok to me. stick is nice to have too. but even if has 400hp its still way below cayman or vette to me. it obviously is in competition with supra and that comparison will be fun to watch

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I largely agree with you. Generally, the Japanese cars are marketed as disposable appliances not art work, racing icons or anything other than an instrument of transportation. Well, it is pretty hard to get excited about a brand of toasters even if one of the toasters is really a tip top toaster. There are so few really inspiring Japanese sports cars. While Mazda has a history of sports cars they are hardly awe inspiring. They are pretty much an entry level sports car but are advancing the brand or image much in the past 20 years.

You are correct they start creating an image then it kind of fades with time and in attention. Lexus is building an image for luxury but not so much for sporty cars. Their sporty cars are nice cars but nothing that really are awe inspiring. The NSX original edition was pretty cool but essentially the same car from beginning to the end. The GT-R of Nissan began competitive but also didn’t seem to keep up with other competitors. The new versions of the Supra and NSX were kind of a disappointment IMO. And the NSX seemed over priced. Had the base model been priced like the C8 at $60k it would likely sold much better but at $150k and up the car just did not have enough star appeal to rock the sports car market place.

So it seems the sports car image is not one the Japanese manufactures are really pursuing rather really just trying to sell economical transportation vehicles only having sports cars to occasionally generate interest in an otherwise mundane but utilitarian brand of vehicles.

boxerman likes this.
  3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  4. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    While I like the side view the best, there is nothing about the design that leads me to think “gees would I like to own that car”. It would be pretty invisible in a group of sports cars. IMO For an extra $15k I would much rather own a C8.

5. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    i like it better than supra just because has stick, otherwise both are meh

6. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Invisibility has its advantages. I agree on side view being best. I like the front too. Not digging the back...T

ShineKen likes this.
  7. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    New Supra is too busy for me. I like the 86 from among their current crop. I see a few old school Japanese sports cars while driving around - Zs, MR2s, NSXs. Those are cool IMO...T

alum04org likes this.
  8. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    The 400Z looks like a kitcar clone of a Z. I am not a fan of the final lines or integration of the headlights....it had potential but the execution appears limited by the frame/chasis that they used. Clearly a rebody and not a ground up redesign. In many ways it reminds me of the Mercedes SL R230 > R231 'evolution'.

9. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Personally, the rear of the car has to be HOT. Stance, width, tail lights, rear bumper/diffuser... etc. If the rear is on point, you can get away with an iffy front. Ferrari gets this. Perfect example is R35 GT-R.

The rear of the new Z is too robocop for me. The fact these promo vids/images focus more on the front than the rear is telling.

I think vintage Z prices just doubled :).

tomc likes this.
  10. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Interior is nice though. I’ll give it that :).

11. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Except to this day NA and NB miatas are worth less then an identical milage/condition NC....so who knows? It likely will sell are poorly as the 370z so it will have scarcity going for it.

12. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I’m not certain, but I think too many Miatas were made. And they’re only 90’s cars, so might not be old enough yet.

13. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    The Z will have huge aftermarket support and 400hp V6TT will be easily modified to make double that. Even the old 350Z transmission, the CD009, is incredibly strong and frequently used in high hp engine swaps with adapters. This Z car likely will be just as durable and far easier to tune given it will come with a TT.

The design is nothing striking...very modern concept version of the 240z. Like prior gen Zs, there will be loads of aftermarket body kits so the bumpers will be easy to change out if people don't like them as will the lights.

The front end looks like a 2020 Aston Vantage to me and rear end like a 2020 Bentley Continental GT with the square rear end and hatch look. Obviously not identical to those two and imo obviously not as good looking as those but it reminded me of both.

Texas Forever likes this.
  14. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    BT likes this.
  15. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    it was a german opel

pearsonhaus and randkin like this.
  16. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  17. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    alum04org, tomc, Boomhauer and 4 others like this.
  18. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    best shifter all time

BT and Boomhauer like this.
  19. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Kent Adams
    The Lexus LC500, while a GT car, is perhaps the finest built contemporary car under $200,000 in my opinion. I've owned one and I'd put it above anything in quality and style under $200,000. It turned more heads than my F430.

pearsonhaus likes this.
  20. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Congrats! I really want to get a S2000.

ShineKen and BT like this.
  21. ferrariwithsnowtires

ferrariwithsnowtires Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2005

I just bought an LC 500 convertible

It should be delivered to the dealer this week and then get trucked from Texas to Illinois

22. ferrariwithsnowtires

Dec 17, 2005

Congratulations on finding the right S2000.

I had one of the 2000 model year cars, it was amazing fun.

I had it close to 7 years, only stuff that had to be changed was an Oxygen sensor for like $80 and the battery (upgraded to an Optima).

Oil changes were under $12, I’ll never see that price again.

ShineKen and alum04org like this.
  23. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I've seen a few around these parts. Sharp looking car...T

pearsonhaus likes this.
  24. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Kent Adams
    You won't regret the purchase. I was looking at the Structural Blue convertible, but didn't pull the trigger. I might wait a year before buying another one.

25. ferrariwithsnowtires

Dec 17, 2005
    Thanks,
    I really like the nautical theme of the structural blue launch edition (inspiration series) cars.
    But they have a mostly white interior including steering wheel that just seemed impossible to keeps clean.
    Plus most of the dealers are tacking on $20,000 to $50,000 market adjustments on those.
    I went with white and a black top and the caramel interior.
    Goofy situation with these cars, only 50 plus or minus to choose from nationwide.
    My local Chicago dealers refused to discount.
    Pretty much every car is loaded.
    Dealers encourage custom ordering but that looks like a 6 month wait kind of situation.