430 - Classic comparison thread Scud vs. GT3 RS | Page 2 | FerrariChat

430 Classic comparison thread Scud vs. GT3 RS

Discussion in '360/430' started by Jda550911, Sep 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pw268

pw268 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I own both, a Scuderia and 991.2 GT3 touring, and I couldn't think of selling either one. They are different experiences. The GT3 does everything well and with the touring package, it's much more subdued and flies under the radar. The suspension, brakes, and 9K 4.0L engine are SUBLIME. The Scuderia interior and cockpit is much more special; it has that sense of singular purpose with the mix of alcantara, carbon fiber, exposed weld joints, metal floor, etc. The drive experience is raw, visceral, and when I only have a sliver of time in a given week to get out to let loose, the Scuderia's key is the one I grab. Even though the Scuderia is nearly a decade older than my GT3, it "feels" every bit as fast.

For a 500 mile trip, I'd take either car. I agree with ScudLife that the seats in the Scuderia are more comfortable than the GT3T with light weight buckets. I commute to work in both cars to The City (San Francisco) and find that the suspension in both cars are quite compliant. You'd be surprised to know that the Scuderia in 'soft suspension' mode actually makes it very comfortable.

Last point I'd like to make is that I think the GT3 (996/997/991) is a better car for the track. For one, I prefer manual transmission and two, the GT3's brakes are much better. The GT3 also feels more durable and is less expensive to maintain -- service/oil changes/consumables.

2. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    yep, but only up to a certain speed. The extra gear in the 458 starts to shine at 130mph...

catdog and angrybanker like this.
  3. angrybanker

angrybanker Rookie

Jun 27, 2019
    it's also a question of absolute vs power to weight. The scud has less horsepower but it's significantly lighter, however at high speeds it is more about raw horsepower to push past the wind resistance rather than weight. That's why a McLaren F1 may have the better power to weight vs a Veyron but a lower top speed.. even though it's frontal area and CD are possibly even better.

Sent from my SM-G970W using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Manda racing likes this.
  4. DOWORKFCAR

DOWORKFCAR Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2016
    I don't know where you live, but here in Orange County people don't look twice at a rosso corsa 430 or a Porsche GT3R. The former are referred to as "Newport Fiats" while the latter are "Newport Volkswagens". They certainly don't whip out their iPhones.[/QUOTE]

Lololol

5. catdog

catdog Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2010
    Irrelevant in the USA..

Pretty impressed the Scud kept up with 458...

Ray Smith likes this.
  6. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Depends— I got tailgated by a black 458 every session at Sonoma until I’d let the guy by.

7. Jda550911

Jda550911 Rookie

Jul 1, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    James
    This is exactly how im feeling right now. I decided to keep the 991.2 911 T and trade my 550 for the Scud, plus some cash. I literally can't see myself without a porsche just because of the balance and how precise it feels. I have it tuned up to semi close to 500whp, so I think of my T as a baby GT3 touring.

I think this will have my "stable" at exactly what will make me happy. Added bonus - for road trips I'll get to ask my fiance - so what are you feeling today, less cabin noise or do you want to be able to recline your seat? ;) Really love that ability in the scud - feels a bit luxurious after sitting in the Ts buckets for 6 hours at a time.

I think Im going to put a lot of miles on Scud! The no nonsense interior where I don't have to worry about keeping up the leather is huge for me. These are some of my first exotics and not really interested in having a "garage queen".

I really appreciate all the feedback from everyone! The replies about the attention the red scud will bring is what led me down thought process of deciding to keep the 911 T. Idk how I didn't think of this earlier - I think I was so excited about the driving experience for myself.

If I want to run some errands not in the truck, the GT silver 911 goes a bit under the radar and seems to just comments on how "pretty" it is from old ladies hah. And the occasional thumbs up from someone in an m3.

8. Jda550911

Jda550911 Rookie

Jul 1, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    James
    pw268, your commutes in SF brought up a question.

How is the F1 gearbox in stop and go traffic? I've heard people complain but not exactly sure why. I imagine it cycles the pump more than just cruising - not sure.

Depending on this, traffic levels at the times Im driving might influence my choice on which car to take. I don't mind driving a manual in traffic at all.

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  9. bupilot

bupilot Karting

May 3, 2016
    China Spring, TX
    Full Name:
    J Anderson
    Although make sure you make the Scud earn its keep with some errands...the frunk holds a surprising amount! And don't be surprised if you're coming up with excuses with the wife to drive it so you can "pick up something" haha.

10. Jda550911

Jda550911 Rookie

Jul 1, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    James
    Haha, oh im an expert in this arena. I work from home and love to make up some midday errands to run in the 911.

I was surprised with Scud frunk as well. Seems just a tiny bit smaller than a 991 frunk.

11. pw268

pw268 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    The Scuderia's F1 gearbox is fine for stop and go. I don't mind it at all and haven't experienced any weird behavior to speak of. I also don't mind the manual transmission in traffic either.

You are fortunate to be able to keep both, as both cars should really cover a lot of bases for you. Your T sounds fun (500hp?!) and will be a great sidekick to the Scuderia for the reasons you mentioned.

12. Jda550911

Jda550911 Rookie

Jul 1, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    James
    Well, close to 500. The tune company(GIAC) said 480 but figuring they might exaggerate it a little.

All I know is as soon as you hit 2500rpm it definitely throws your head into the headrest. Before the tune you couldn't really even feel any g-force/the blood leaving your face whatsoever.

I would like to pull side by side with a Carrera GTS and see what happens haha.

13. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I've said this before. For the streets/public roads, a Scud with headers, after-market cats or straight pipe, an X-pipe configuration muffler, and light-weight wheels (stocks are heavy) is all you need. It is adequately FAST and a night and day difference from 100% stock. I don't see why one would need anything faster than this setup for the streets. Especially, if you are sacrificing some aspect of the visceral experience.

For the track. You'll need the latest and greatest (constantly) and hopefully end up with something with the least amount of maintenance.

ScudLife and Manda racing like this.
  14. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Consider a poster who joined in July, has made 12 posts ― all in this thread ― purporting to need "advice" on whether to buy a race car (a Scuderia), or a Porsche with cup holders.

Hmmm...

15. Jda550911

Jda550911 Rookie

Jul 1, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    James
    Jeez, Ive only been on here since July and I know enough to know you're just here to troll people. Move on with your life bub..

New rule recommendation for the admins from Sir Raymond and I - You can only join Fchat if you have 8 Ferraris and have already been posting in Fchat for 9 years via time travel to the future when you are a member.

Some helpful members opened my eyes to the attention a Scud would bring, and confirmed my thoughts on the rawness of the Scud over the GT3 RS - seeing as I have not been in a GT3 RS yet. Despite the attention factor, Im looking for what is going to have the highest raw fun factor, since ive now had 2 pretty tame touring cars.

And yes, I joined in July when I bought my first Ferrari at 28 y/o.

A wonderful welcome to the Ferrari family... Thank you Sir Raymond !!!

Seriously, thank you to everyone that helped out with thoughtful advice! There really is a wealth of knowledge here and I look forward to being able to reciprocate when Ive had more experiences with these beautiful cars.

marknkidz and flat_plane_eddie like this.
  16. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

Don't worry about that post. I'm new here as well and learned pretty quickly you gotta have a bit of thick skin! Great place with 99% helpful folks that do a great job enhancing and improving the community of owners of these awesome cars! Good luck with your decision. Can't really go wrong.

Jda550911 and marknkidz like this.
  17. S F

S F Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2016
    Texas
    To be fair, Porsche 911 cup holders are worthless.

Agree with the sentiments early on in the thread. My favorite thing about my 911 now that I own a Ferrari is that I can drive it without being looked at. My wife won't even ride in the 360 without sunglasses anymore because she doesn't like the random camera phones being pointed at us. To be fair, I don't like them either but I really enjoy the car so I'll deal with it.

Jda550911 likes this.
  18. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Hey the current 911 cup holders are a world better than the ones that they had in the pre 2002 996 and Boxster models. I think I wore more coffee from those cup holders than any other car I have ever owned. The CF cup holder in the F430 which replaces the ash tray isn't too bad, though you have to pull anything other than a skinny water bottle out to move the hand brake up or down. Too bad the Scud doesn't have an ash tray so you could easily replace it with a cup holder that looks OEM and actually works.

Funny story... Yesterday I had my oldest son drop off his car at my house so I can bring it in to the dealer for service, so he asked me to drive him back in the Ferrari since he hadn't been in it since June. Since I just fixed my rear tail light, I was itching to drive it anyway, normally I'd drive him back in my GT3 or in my Cayenne. He wasn't used to the multiple cell phone cameras that were pointed at us. We also had 3 separate idiots in Mustangs who pulled up next to us on the highway and began rev'ing to try to get us to race. This was only a 45 minute drive. One mustang guy on RT78 in NJ was visibly pissed we wouldn't feed his ego.

Jda550911 likes this.
  19. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith

What model Ferrari did you buy at age 28?

I'm told Hill Engineering is coming out with cup holders for the Scud, carbon fiber no less.

20. Jda550911

Jda550911 Rookie

Jul 1, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    James
    I went a little old school and got a 550 maranello. I was shopping a few different models and once I saw the 550 in Azzurro California I had to have it. I'm in florida and I love something about driving a baby blue car around beach.

I absolutely love the car and went that route because of the manual transmission in addition to the color combo. After driving some modern Ferraris though, especially the Scud, the all around visceral experience more than makes up for the lack of 3rd pedal.

If I keep the 550 it might be getting a full exhaust. It sounds great at high RPMs and I love the guttural, deep growl when you punch the throttle to downshift, but it definitely does sound muffled down a little too much.

Will be keeping my eyes on that from Hill. I was thinking of fashioning one for the drivers side at least ha. Carbon fiber would be much better than what I would come up with.

21. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    I've got a ton of photos of the GT Prodrive 550 at various tracks. They are all rosso corsa. The Olive Garden 550 was green. ugh.

I'll post some, high enough resolution to color print at 13x19.

Here's one from Sebring, Labre Competition during a pit stop with driver change.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. Jda550911

Jda550911 Rookie

Jul 1, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    James
    Great shot. Looking forward to Sebring this year. I already have a Porscheplatz ticket but have to look and see what Ferrari has going on.

I think Ferrari sets up better amenities for Daytona 24 than they do for Sebring, but haven't looked into what's going on much since they changed Sebring to November.

These GT 550s and some of the 550s coming out of Japan really make me wish I had a money printer. Freeing up that v12, dropping weight, and stiffening up the suspension etc.. makes one hell of a beast. I guess this is partly why I'm looking to get into a Scuderia - race car feel while not giving up the value.

23. DOWORKFCAR

DOWORKFCAR Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2016
    I went from 550 to F430. I am also fairly young and wanted something a bit more exciting. I loved the 550 and will own another but just wanted to try a mid engine car. Put a full Capristo system on the car, headers, HFCs and mufflers. Sounds wonderful. I also had a full Capristo on my 550. Both rock!

Jda550911 likes this.
  24. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    I started this odyssey attempting to buy a 550 or a 575. I could not find one within a reasonable distance from my home. I thought both cars were more appropriate for a man my age, an elegant GT car with a front mounted V-12 which makes the sexiest purr and rear wheel drive. I saw the 430 as more of a young guy's ride, somewhat too flamboyant. But then I saw mine in person and that was it. It's impossible to negotiate price seriously when you're drooling on the floor.

But hey, stuff happens, right?

25. Jda550911

Jda550911 Rookie

Jul 1, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    James
    This is exactly what happened to me. Even just 6 months ago I thought all the red mid-engines were too flamboyant or attention seeking for me personally, at the time. Then I saw a red 430 scud freshly waxed in a showroom I happened to be in for other reasons, and that no bs interior where I dont have to worry about keeping up the leather. Then got to drive it and hear the v8.

The rest is history, except not really, because I still have the 550 and will hopefully be locking down the Scuderia next week. Will post pics here if I do get it. Maybe even will post a pic of me crying handing over the keys to the beautiful azzurro california 550. I really think its the best 550 color and so far, despite a couple hours of research, I haven't been able to find another one in the US.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login