Which Tires, MPS4s or Pirelli Pzero? | FerrariChat

Which Tires, MPS4s or Pirelli Pzero?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by dustman, Sep 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    My newest 458 spider arrived with new Pzero’s, but I recall everyone saying the Michelin MPS4s is much better. I can tell you my 458 is very loose around corners, more than I remember.

Thoughts?

2. procopiofabio

procopiofabio Rookie

Jul 20, 2017
    Pirelli scorpions .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. TUTTSF

TUTTSF Karting

Sep 21, 2018
    So. Cal
    I found Perrelli really good when new but falls off less than half life. With the camber that's on our suspension you will go through front tires much quicker than rears unless you like doing donuts.
    But Perrelli does have Trofeo track tires in stock sizes for our cars so if you want super sticky thats pretty much your only choice

Michelin Cup2 does not have stock sizes for our cars, PS4S I find have a consistent grip level until around 3/4 wear then you notice a drop off
    The last 3 tire orders that I have placed has been for Michelin PS4S tires

bball16 likes this.
  4. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I've had both on various cars and now all Michelin SS. SS4S on the F12 replaced Michelin SS K2. Went from PZero on the 355 and Alfa QV and it was night and day, no more low speed stutter and far more cool traction. PZeros were frightening unless the tires were totally hot.

5. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    Are the tires green in the VDA? I wouldn't evaluate them until they are green. Although, to me, blue tires with a green engine is the sweet spot. :-D

6. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Love M4S

bball16 likes this.
  7. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Thx all. Will be ordering new.

ryalex likes this.
  8. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Both are great rubber. I’d go with the the MPS4s

Gh21631 likes this.
  9. Tito1969

Tito1969 Karting

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Tito Kabir
    Any special instructions when changing tyres? Can an experienced tyres shop do this or is there some special dealer magic ?

10. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
  11. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    From personal experience: your dealer is less likely to scratch and ding your fine wheels.

12. Ferrari&Maserati

Sep 15, 2019
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I currently have Michelin PSP4 and I'm happy with them, although they do need a lot of temperature to work properly. Grip is not that great until they are fully warmed up.

I have also read very good reviews of the newly released Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5, I actually bought them for my BMW 435i convertible, has anyone tried them on a high power supercar like the 458/488 or similar?

13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Get the Lusso set of MPS4S.
    245/35R20K1
    295/35R20K1

Much better with a matched set instead og K spec rear and general purpose front. The 458 will also benefit from the slightly wider fronts.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    It is just a tyre on a wheel. Any shop can do it if they have up to date equipment.

15. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    From personal experience, dealer scratched a wheel and completely overlooked a bent wheel. I'll use a speed shop full of enthusiast before a dealer any day.

m5shiv likes this.
  16. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Issues with the different spec from oem? Fitment, clearance?

17. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Well..... I’d be sure to ask if they have experience with exotic wheels. Just don’t want them to scratch the rims due to carelessness

18. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The question to ask is if they use "touchless" equipment and remember to use the dots along with testing the wheel balance prior to tyre installation. Have a talk with the shop and just get an overall feel for it. There's nothing "exotic" about the wheels. It's one of those things where one needs to remember that despite them being on a Ferrari, they are nothing special to be frank. They are expensive because they come with FVAT, but that's about it. Seek out the guy who find it interesting and take pride in working on a special car, because that's usually the guy who will do the best job,

19. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    No issues in any way shape or form. Plenty have used 245 with Speciale and stock wheels as well. The difference in front to rear diameter is well within what the ESC system can accept, as it is no more than what can occur with tyre wear etc. If you didn't know they were on, you'd have to look hard to even see it. You increase radius by 2.5 mm, so it's not exactly a massive difference. But you will get a set of tyres that are matched and that is worth taking into account. If you run a K spec in the rear and a general purpose in the front, things sometimes get odd. It's not a huge deal with K or N spec shoes, but I would never mix Merc or BMW tyres with anything as they are sometimes really strange.

The Lusso set is a nice set, you'll like it.

20. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    I was very glad my car came with the MPS4, even though car only had 245 miles I would have changed to them. Had the Pzeroes on both my R8's and Huracan and found them horrible

bball16 and ryalex like this.
  21. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Hope you mean MPS4S and not MPS4. Two very different things.

22. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Yea I put the MPS4S on my Huracan and 488 came with MPSS. I had the MPSS on both my R8's and find them at least as good as the MPS4S. My Lotus Evora 400 also came from factory with MPSS, no Idea why so many cars still come with the Pzeroes.

23. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Thx for the insight. Better handling, more neutral?

24. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Less understeer and better front end control in powerful corner exits. Weight becomes slightly more front end biased as the increased radius lifts the front 2.5mm. This is not a bad thing, as the factory setup is very rear end biased. They do all this to make the cars safe, but it does nothing good from a performance standpoint. These things are fairly subtle, but overall you'll find that the car rotates a bit better and just seems to turn more effortlessly. The car will work more with you when you push it, but on the flipside, a car that responds well and handles well, will also bite you harder if you make mistakes.
    But again, this is a non-issue as it is so overly "safe" that anything that gives it a bit more front end grip just makes the car better to drive. It won't shock you and terrify you as if you had tightened the rear torsion bars up and added a lot of front end camber for GP track style driving. It will be very safe and nice to drive, just a bit more on point and true to form, but it still won't try to kill you in any way.

25. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Thank you.
    Has to feel better than those Pirelis’ on the car now.