How often do you change the transmission/diffential oil | FerrariChat

How often do you change the transmission/diffential oil

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by AUDIO RESEARCH, Sep 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AUDIO RESEARCH

AUDIO RESEARCH Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2009
    PHILIPPINES
    Full Name:
    LUIGI RAYMUND LIRA
    Hi guys ,

How often do you change the transmission / differential oil of our Mondial . What was the factory recommendation and what fluid do you use ? Thanks in advance .

stay safe guys ,

Luigi

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Recommendation for a car that is used regularly is annual fluid change to include the gearbox oil. I have a preference for Redline MTL.

As for cars that are not used very often, you still should change it every couple years.

For cars that are museum piece and never driven at all, who cares?

3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    4 years is fine, some modern cars are filled for life with modern oils

4. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    As is typical for Ferrari, it depends on what version of the manual you get. Below, the Euro manual for the 308 QV says after the initial change, then every 12,500 to 13,000 miles. The US version says every 15,000 after the initial change.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

procopiofabio likes this.
  5. AUDIO RESEARCH

AUDIO RESEARCH Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2009
    PHILIPPINES
    Full Name:
    LUIGI RAYMUND LIRA
    Hi guys ,

Thank you very much for your replies . I asked this question because I’ve been changing the transmission/ differential fluid every other year and I might be over doing it . Because I read somewhere w/ our Mondial this was the factory recommendation. But I can’t find the article we’re I read it . I’ve been using Mobil 1 transmission/ differential fluid for limited slip differential .

stay safe ,

Luigi

6. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    The gear oil does shear down over time, as a transaxle it has to deal with both transmission and differential tasks, and changing every couple of years is probably not overkill. Try Redline MTL, it seems to make for very nice shifts on my car, compared with other viscosities and brands I have used over the years. It is slightly less viscosity than the factory recommendation, but many serious Fchat experts have weighed in over the years, and combined with sound technical reasoning I have researched the MTL is the way to go.

7. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If i recall correctly the oem oil was an 80/90 but a 75/90 is better for easier gear changes.