car design thread | Page 429 | FerrariChat

car design thread

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by jm2, Oct 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john

https://www.lamborghini.com/en-en/news/lamborghini-people-designing-the-perfect-lamborghini?utm_term=Social&utm_source=LN&utm_content=LN&utm_medium=_LN_Lamborghini-People_2020_09_08_LN

NEWS

LAMBORGHINI PEOPLE: DESIGNING THE PERFECT LAMBORGHINI

8 SEPTEMBER 2020
    PEOPLE
    FOLLOW US ON TELEGRAM

Of Portuguese origin, Nelson sketched a lot as a child. As long as he can remember, he has cultivated a passion for drawing, combined with an interest in cars.
    In 2009, he enrolled in a Master’s program in Transportation Design in Milan, followed by an internship at Lamborghini. Nelson has been working as a designer for our Centro Stile since 2010, member of a young and international team that encourages a continuous development of ideas. His first project regarded the Sesto Elemento, which provided a few ideas for the Huracán. Nelson considers the Countach the most representative vehicle of the Lamborghini brand because its scissor doors have marked the House of the Raging Bull’s DNA since the Seventies.
    Building the perfect Lamborghini means combining a unique design with just as an exclusive technique. Nelson explained that the most creative part of the designer’s job is the sketching phase, but designing a vehicle needs negotiation and collaboration with different departments. All designers have their own personality, and each one draws inspiration from something different while trying to present advanced proposals to give the customer a one-off product.
    What is Lamborghini for Nelson? Lamborghini is more than a brand, more than a company: it is a dream, a global dream for fans around the world.

2. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    The Sketch Monkey weighs in on the MC20:

F1tommy and energy88 like this.
  3. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    colombo2cam and F1tommy like this.
  4. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    #10704 jm2, Sep 12, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    The thing that made me chuckle was Klaus Busse, the Design Head at Maserati constantly referring to the Maserati logo as ‘iconic’.
    Again & again.

tritone and energy88 like this.
  5. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    tritone likes this.
  6. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    ModernLou, boxerman, anunakki and 6 others like this.
  7. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Those cornering lights could give pedestrians sun burn!

8. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    anunakki, of2worlds, Tenney and 4 others like this.
  9. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    the blue Pontiac foretells the current BWW design language by more than 50 years!

10. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    #10710 jm2, Sep 13, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    When I was the Chief in one of the Pontiac Exterior Studios, BMW sent us/GM Legal a letter telling Pontiac to stop using twin port grilles.
    They told them to go pound sand in so many words.
    Pontiac started using wide twin port grilles in 1959.
    BMW started using vertical twin port grilles in the 1930’s.
    Over time they got shorter, Pontiac got narrower.
    No one was ever going to mistake a BMW for a Pontiac. Whatever.
    Besides, Pontiac is toast.

Tenney, anunakki, of2worlds and 2 others like this.
  11. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    And don't forget your kissin' cousin Oldsmobile. They had the split grill on some models in the 1950s incorporated into the bumper. In 1968, Olds began the split grill on numerous models for the next 20+ years.

of2worlds, 330 4HL, jm2 and 1 other person like this.
  12. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    MARKETING Why does Genesis need a sports car?

I have seen Genesis be come to be a brand of its own, sprung from the loins of Hyundai.
    And I drove the Genesis 90, the $72,000 luxury car which I believe is beyond Detroit's best in quality and competitive with Mercedes sedans
    But I think it's time they had a sports car.
    Why? because they need a flagship that says "We can do everything the European luxury car builders can do--we are that sophisticated."
    The implication is that the minds that planned that 200-mph stage of the art sports car they could build also work on all the other Genesis cars.
    Mercedes has their own sports cars that do that for them. Ferrari's mid- engined cars do that for their front engine cars.
    Lamborghini's sports cars do it for their four seater SUV.
    So Genesis can do it too. I think it should be all electric, because maybe they can beat the Corvette all electric version to the market, by say 2023. Not even all the European exotic car makers will be all electric by then. In the car business you are either ahead of the market, with the market, or behind the market.
    You don't want to be behind. Detroit's Big Three tarried on all electric cars and are now hard pressed to catch Tesla, who are two years ahead.
    Two years is forever.
    Why electric? Because anticipating political trends, if the next US administration goes left there will be much more attention paid to recognizing climate change. Electric cars will be the sign that, you, too, are a responsible car owner. Oh, I'll miss the Varoom-varoom you get now when you floor a high performance car. But I've had my own personal epiphany of sorts, which caused me to realize that climate change came much faster than I thought it would and I can no longer deny it's here. Maybe they can just license a Ferrari sound track and I can put flip that on the speakers when I feel I need it.
    Price wise? I think it ought to be around $100,000 tops. Why? Because Acura continues with their State of the art sports car, the NSX, but its sales are miniscule, below 2000 units a year, a production number that would cause any other automaker to drop it. But they want it for the same reason Hyundai needs to have a high tech sport car, as a "halo" car saying "We have the technology to do anything."
    Acura just priced it too high and failed to to constantly update it enough.
    Oh it's partially electric with a3.5 L twin-turbocharged V6 engine joined by three electric motors, two of which form part of the "SH-AWD" all wheel drive drivetrain, altogether capable of close to 600 hp. The transmission is a 9-speed dual-clutch automatic. Its body utilizes a space frame design—which is made from aluminum, ultra-high-strength steel, and other rigid and lightweight materials, some of which are the world's first applications.
    But the sales figures are laughably small, under 300 sold in 2019 in the US.
    By going full electric, Hyundai will automatically be ahead of the Acura NSX. No one knows what the fully electric Corvette will be priced at, but I'm betting it will be $30,000 to $40,000 more than the present internal combustion model. Or even if they price it at just a little more than the Corvette, entrepreneurs will buy them to "flip" them at a fat profit for a resale price approaching 100K. So $100,000 for the Genesis mid engine car would be a good price, less than half of Ferrari mid-engined V8 price. And still far below the $157,000 of the 2020 NSX.

THE PROTOTYPE

Premiered in 2018 at Pebble Beach, the prototype Hyundai Essentia sports car is pleasant but not a ground breaker in any way, only in that the public wouldn't expect Hyundai to could come up with something so, well, European.
    Here's a short design critique:

FRONT A almost standard exotic car nose but I think the grille surround has to be re-shaped so it' not so pointed at the bottom and be wide (about 4" wide ) and keep that copper finish. A grille mesh needs to be added, inset and of course glossy metal.

SIDE Again derivative of many a mid-engined sports car. I like the lit up wastegate LEDs continuing around to the front, nobody else lights up their wastegate (though ironically you don't need a wastegate if you have no internal combustion engine) The flip up doors are what you expect in exotics and Corvette doesn't have them.

BACK The horizontal taillights are their signature but need more innovating, as the horizontal bars take up too little of the vast space. Maybe elliptical more like the latest Bentley Continentals.

OVERALL No other automaker has come out with a car with metal trim matching the wheels and interior. It makes a fashion statement.

In sum, climate change is radically re-shifting the priorities of automakers. Some are in dis-array but the writing is on the wall. Electric will get attention and to get a jump on the Europeans and America's only mid-engine car, Hyundai needs to greenlight the Essentia.
    Any opinions?

13. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    If I guess Chevrolet Division concept, how close/far off am I?

14. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia

VigorousZX likes this.
  15. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    tritone and jm2 like this.
  16. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner

I always thought the 2004-2006 GTO Pontiac/Holden/Vauxall could have been a BMW on the outside.

jm2 likes this.
  17. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Yes, those Holden based cars (Pontiacs) were indeed too much like BMW's for me as well.
    Had nothing to do with those as they were designed 'down under'.

18. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    How vigorous was the Detroit discussion on those becoming the GTO? I remember articles where Lutz said that he did not want to have it incorporate a series of the old GTO elements - anti retro.

jm2 likes this.
  19. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Lutz was adamant about not using any history from Pontiac’s past. He wanted to reinvent the brand to make an American BMW.
    He got what he wanted.
    The Holdens were mini-me BMWs.

375+ likes this.
  20. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
  21. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada