250 GTO "re-body" thoughts | FerrariChat

250 GTO "re-body" thoughts

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Husker, Sep 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    So I've been eyeing this listing and have considered driving over to OKC to look at it. It's life started as a Lusso. This will obviously never be a true 250 GTO. But apparently the re-body has been painstaking and quite expensive. In a re-body situation, is this a deal where car might be sold for $800K today, but in reality i's a $100K car tomorrow? How do you determine FMV and collectability on a re-body, or is it pretty much the wild west?

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=carGurusHomePageModel&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d1841&zip=79121#listing=272950638

2. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    thats an amazing car and would be so much fun to own but as to future value, who knows? btw, i just purchased a car on that site and it went very well. was only 10% $ of this one though.

3. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    How much does GTO Engineering get for one of its replica SWBs? That might be a good indicator of “value” although I have no idea of the comparable quality of those cars and this one.

4. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    There's one for sale by Manhattan Motorcars for $1.4- it's been there for a while though...

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  5. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    What are the Favre "GTO" things going for these days? If of similar quality? I sure don't think it will drop to $100k anytime soon, but also not studied enough to say it would be worth $800k...

6. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    looks like fun do not know what its worth ... but what a ride......

7. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    you're in nosebleed territory so a whole different mkt

but if you compare it to something like a kirkham cobra vs a real csx car, looks cheap

8. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #8 miurasv, Sep 8, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    All the mistakes have been made that the replica makers make in this body. No way have they used the buck from real 250 GTO 3223GT or one that reflects its correct details and shape. 128F engine is not original to Lusso 5319GT either.

Will cost an absolute fortune and a huge amount of work to put the car back to Lusso original spec.

9. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    At first I thought that was bananas. Then I thought about it. It is a real Ferrari, the body is modified. The is the same money as a cheap F12Tdf or a Carerra GT. This car would garner more attention and probably be more engaging than either of those. Must be nice to have problems like that.

10. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #10 miurasv, Sep 8, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    You say it is a real Ferrari but its "GTOness" is not real Ferrari and totally fake. This car cannot compare to a real F12 TdF or any authentic Ferrari.

11. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I would agree. IF you were going to race it in vintage racing - then ok... but its never going to be accepted by Ferrari folks- especially in that stratus... it will never be accepted at Shows, rallys, concours & I'm not sure that HSR or other vintage racing groups would take it... Ferrari Cant be happy that someone rebodied a $$7-800K Car into one that is about $30 - $50 Million.... so I think unless you already own a GTO... and want to preserve it - but race one as well. that is about the only folks buying... Unless you have stupid money... ( and there are stupid money guys out there. ) I guess the good news is with only 30+ GTO's ever... its very easy to identify them... Jesse Pouret book catalouges all of them... so its easy to see what serial numbers are out there. Each GTO has been documented ... and I think even wrecked chassis have been "rescued" ...

I've sat in one GTO, and from my eye, it looks very good... Here is the thing about shapes on these cars... None of them are the same... and ones that have been "restored" are even more out of shape..... Each of the original cars were hand made - and were hand fitted... meaning that each one is going to be different based on who actually made it... I guess engines would have started out the same - but almost all of them have been apart and upgraded etc.. over the years so you are only looking at original blocks, gear box casings, etc... The other good thing is the the Original Cars were pretty Crude in how they were made. they were made for Racing 100% and usually that meant that they would be scrapped after 1-2 seasons. or upgraded into more advanced models. So any "continuation" style rebody is likely to be accurate in terms of how they look and feel. I've driven a Lusso... and they are fun -but its a hand full... all the 250 cars are similar in feel and how hard they are to drive.

12. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    It is the wild west and probably really hard to resell. For that price, you can buy some pretty nice real and authentic V12 Vintage Ferraris.. Daytonas, 250 PF coupe, maybe even a Boano. add 400k more and you get into real 250 GT Lusso territory. If the market crash, then these replicas will be the first to go back to 0 bc they have nothing else to stand on. No history, no originality, no pedigree and not even accuracy.

As other have said, many details are wrong and the overall look is wrong too. It's still a pretty car, but i know it would bug me to death everytime i look at it, all i would see would be the details and proportions that are not 100% correct. Hell, i even do that on my video games. So imagine spending $800k. Id want it to be 100% perfect.

With that said, im sure it's a fun car to play around with and one you can push hard without going to jail for.

13. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Yeah and probably will stay there for a long time. IIRC, GTO will build a new one for around $700/800k. But it does take a year i think.

14. NunoRosso

NunoRosso Karting

Dec 10, 2007
    Portugal
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    In my opinion, a cheaper but honest item is always more valuable than a replica - for instance, I'd rather have a real 330 GTC than a replica 250 SWB.

LARRYH and TTR like this.
  15. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    I don't know when and the circumstances of this Lusso being rebodied in the style of a 250 GTO. As I said earlier, the tipo 128F engine is not from a Lusso. It may have been a smashed car when they were worth nowhere near what they are now. Not trying to justify what's happened to this car, but the chassis of a Lusso is most like the 250 GTO with its 2400 mm wheelbase and Watts Linkage at the rear, but with the bulkhead and engine mountings in a different position to move the engine forward for a bigger cabin. No need to cut this chassis to shorten it as with the longer wheelbase 250 GT PF, 250 GTE 2+2 and 330 GT 2+2 chassis.

16. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    This is a tough one, I have been researching having a 1958 412s or 250 testarossa replicas built and to do it right I'm looking at a min of about $500k so I'd think it would be worth a min of $500k now and prob a lot more but $825k is getting up there.

17. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    If you search completed auctions on BAT under “1965 Ferrari 330 GTO Re-Creation” (sorry for some reason I cannot find a way to send a link) you will see a car that was sold for $420K by Colleen Sheehan (daughter of Fred). There is a very interesting discussion in the sale thread of the subject.

18. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Here you guys go:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-ferrari-330gt-2/

RonH likes this.