458 - 458 Spider is Epic | FerrariChat

458 458 Spider is Epic

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by dustman, Sep 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Weather final dropped into the low 70’s, was able to take the hibernating 458 spider out this morning, thru a very windy one lane mountain pass to Malibu, way off the beaten path. Not another car for 35 minutes.
    Changes one’s attitude and outlook within the first bend. I was reminded instantly why I got yet another 458.

Sure, it was loose in the corners, and my Pista and 488s and Performante are all significantly quicker thru the same area and more confidence inspiring. But non are as visceral, raw, and pucker evoking as the 458, esp in spider form.

I sat back and tried to think of another car i could buy. Came up empty to be honest. (Yes, i love sound!)

What’s your 458 moment???

2. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    458 Spider is my daily driver April through October. Drive it every day unless it rains (l am lazy it’s just too much work to clean it to my rather high standards). We are unfortunately in a drought which means there have been very few rainy days. That means there are three or four days the 458 is not driven a month.

My rain car is a 2014 Audi S4 with a stick shift. It is a fun car to drive but of course it can’’t compare to the 458. The sound of the 458 is fantastic especially at 9,000 rpms...which l do every time l take it out. Driving the S4 which is a great car just reminds me what a truly iconic car the 458 Spider is.

My 458 is 8 years old and still gets a huge amount of attention just about every time l take it out.

Living in the Rockies, the car really handles the twisties with aplomb. Pivots effortlessly through the turns. Has plenty of passing power and is so fast it scares me sometimes. Solid as rock at 150 mph.

Some people think that the 458 has about bottomed out as far as depreciation. I just haven’t seen another car that l would rather have.

The La Ferrari Aperta is out of my price range. ;)

3. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    which road did you take? wanna do that too!

Lagunae92 likes this.
  4. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    SW Suburbs of Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    My moment is every time I fire up my 2015 Spider in the garage. The thrill of the upcoming drive gets my juices flowing.

5. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Sent you a PM, dont need the whole world driving there.

6. Spezia

Spezia Karting

Dec 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    John Weires
    I have the benefit of living in the Rockies as well. Driving here is totally the opposite of most other places. Straightaways and level roads are as hard to find here as a corner with elevation change is in Iowa. The pleasant summer weather and beautiful views are why I held out for a 2013 458 Spider.

It's now a stable mate to my 2011 Porsche Boxster Spyder which is far less powerful but has the very light weight vibe and manual transmission thing going for it.

I also looked at a McLaren 570S Spider before buying the 458. The turbocharged 570S is clearly much faster at altitude and has a stiffer more composed frame. But it was much harder to get in and out of, had uncomfortable seats and an un-stirring exhaust note. The Ferrari is seductive; far more tactile and sensual and was just more fun to drive. Still the McLaren is an impressive car and a brand I keep my eye on.

My wife continually remarks how comfortable the Ferrari is and she also loves the look and sound. I don't know of another car that can check all my boxes for around $200k and also probably hold it's value pretty well too. Only other car of interest to me would be a 05-06 Ford GT but we are talking closer to $300k with no open air experience or stability control.

7. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    That sums it up right there, Dustman. Well said.

It's not always about how fast you go, but how much you smile. The 458 is still the most enjoyable car I have ever owned.

Have you ever driven the F12? The more I research things, the more I'm leaning away from getting an 812 Superfast and the more I'm thinking about maybe buying an F12 (either that or just doing what you did and buying another 458).

Ray

8. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Been thinking F12 also. Need to test one first.
    Just noticed all the typos and poor grammar in my first post. So much for typing quickly!

ryalex and RayJohns like this.
  9. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    A friend of ours (who works at Ferrari) wants me to test drive an F8. I told him I have zero interest in that car, but he still wants to go for a test drive and get my feedback on the car. I told him to brace himself haha. I believe they have an F12 in stock also, so I'm going to try to drive the F8 and F12 back to back. I sort of feel like the F12 comes from the era of the 458 in a lot of ways.

I have driven the 812 and did like that very much. However, as much as I liked the 812, somehow I feel like the F12 is a touch more classic Ferrari in some ways. It also seems like better value for the money, given what an 812 Superfast costs at the moment.

Ray

dailo and Jo Sta7 like this.
  10. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Agree. LA area?
    I need to get out and test one.

11. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
  12. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Two weeks ago, I’m gassing up at a local station with my ‘13 Spider underneath a huge canopy. Guy pulls behind me up in a pocket rocket. I finish up, get in the car, hit the big red button, and the car roars to life (I have the Kline exhaust), reverberating throughout the canopy.

The guy reacts like he’s been shot - grabs his heart and lets out an audible, involuntary grunt. Gives me a big thumbs up as I drive off.

13. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    My Kline is still in mfgr.

wthensler likes this.
  14. PappyDewBoston

PappyDewBoston Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2018
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Chris Nadeau
    I was test driving 570s and brought my wife and son to weigh in. Took my son for a drive and when we got back to the parking lot my wife was sitting in a black 458 spider revving the engine. She’s not a car person. Her comment “why would you buy that when we can buy this”. We bought the 458. She’s now a car person.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

wthensler, TUTTSF, ryalex and 4 others like this.
  15. Regular Guy 01

Regular Guy 01 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Full Name:
    Eugene Greer
    As I don't take my car out as often as I would like, reading threads like this reminds me why I picked my '14 458 Spider and that I made the right choice when I made that decision. She is a beautiful car and people always stop by when they are walking through the neighborhood and ask questions about the car. I hate to admit but when I don't have the time to talk to people, I leave the garage down behind the Ferrari and do my outside chores. People then don't see it and go along their ways. Otherwise I am usually excited and happy to talk and share the joys of having my toy with its fans.
    I feel fortunate to be an owner and just last night I started to think about selling my NSX that I have had for 20 years and purchase a V12 Ferrari for fun.

Really need to get my car out more often.......

Thanks guys,
    Gene Greer

ChrisDiRe likes this.
  16. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
  17. Terrence

Terrence Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2004
    Hawaii/LA
    Full Name:
    Terrence
    Same here. We are not driving to win money. It’s all about the enjoyment. If I were driving real roads to win money, the new 911 turbo would be high on my list.

ryalex likes this.
  18. Terrence

Terrence Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2004
    Hawaii/LA
    Full Name:
    Terrence
    I just added an F12 to the stable. So much fun to drive. Sounds amazing. Great compliment to my 458.

ChrisDiRe, IloveGT and RayJohns like this.
  19. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Definitely keep her.. and the 458 also.

Ray

PappyDewBoston and IloveGT like this.
  20. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I messaged you some info.

Ray

21. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Like to hear more from your experience f12 vs 458. I know different, but like the comparison.

22. Viper830tt

Viper830tt Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 10, 2017
    My first fast car was the 458 spider and Im glad I waited so long. I tried the coupe and spider back to back and the sound had me sold on a convertible. Im jealous of the folks with mountain roads. Ohio is on the edge of the plains but you can get to some hills if you head out south east. I did that with my son during a group cruise and realized I had been waiting for the drive as much as for the car. The mid engine makes it fun and the feedback is excellent. I didnt test drive anything else but it sounds like I didnt miss out on anything. Ive tried a 488 GTB and a couple F8s but realized that I can get myself in trouble with the 458 just as easily and loved the feel and aesthetics alot more. It's going to be a significant classic car.

Ray_ good to hear from you again. I hear the F12 front end feels really long, less of a "go kart" feel of the mid engine cars. I really have to try a V12 though. I keep hearing that the F12 is a bargain compared to the 812, much better bang for the buck.

ryalex and RayJohns like this.
  23. 458 at 50

458 at 50 Karting

Oct 17, 2014
    Arizona
    my first ferrari was a f430 spider, then moved up to a 458 coupe. I meed the spider so much I moved to a 458 spider. Best car ever. just took it out for the first time in a month or so and in 5 min I remember why I love it. Sound is great and performance is unbelievable. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

PhilNotHill, ryalex and dustman like this.
  24. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Nothing like that first pull up to 9k. Involuntary smile.

wthensler and tekaefixe like this.
  25. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    • The biggest difference dynamically is that instead of sitting with your feet between the front wheels, and the car rotating essentially at your feet (the "go-kart feel"), you're seated back almost over the rear axle with a few feet of hood and the engine next to your shins. So the rotation is about 4-5ft in front of you and yes, feels more like you're being pulled by a rocket sled. As you go about your daily traffic patterns you have to adapt to where the car turns in and that you're behind it. Dusty would be familiar with this from the Lusso, although the AWS might change that rotation feel too.
    • You feel the F12's extra 500lbs, even though the steering input is lighter in the F12. The extra weight and the Magnaride shocks make the ride itself much smoother and relaxing on the body. For the cross-country drive, I spent nearly the entire 32hrs with one relaxed hand on the edge of the wheel. It was not physically exhausting.
    • Once you're familiar with the linear power the 458 is fairly easy to mess around with and is predictable. There's more learning curve to the F12, mostly due to the heavier weight and different break point, but it is faithful when you're doing the same inputs (as opposed to a turbo car that is more finicky to time throttle/RPM/turning the same).
    • The F12 has far more distinct Jekyll/Hyde personalities between cruising in auto/Sport and manual/Race. The F12 is both quieter than the 458, but also louder: it is MB quiet in the cabin at 2k rpm, but around 5k rpm the power curve comes on so strong, and the sound so much louder. It is either Dr. Bruce Banner or The Hulk. That's what surprises and scares people. I try and start each drive with someone with the quiet mode and show them its manners, before getting, "ANGRY! SMASH!"
    • Comfort goes to the F12 with more lateral room and useable shelf.
    • The 458 has good fit and finish but the F12 is better put together. The difference between an A and an A+.
    • I quickly understood how people could want and own both at the same time. Depending on your uses, if you can only have one I say the F12 checks more boxes. I'm pretty converted to the flagship V12 idea right now. Now, maybe adding a V8 back might be the way to go...