My First Ferrari... Finally (Photos) | FerrariChat

My First Ferrari... Finally (Photos)

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by oo7ml, Sep 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. oo7ml

oo7ml Karting

Dec 4, 2018
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Hi,

I have been a Porsche guy for a long time, and I started the hunt for a Ferrari about 12 months ago. I was very close to buying a 488, but the sound (lack of) really bothered me... just like the sound really bothers me on my GT4, so I started looking at 458s. 3-4 months ago. I then decided to go 'classic' again, as I prefer my classic 911 over my new GT4. My heart was set on a Testarossa, which I picked up a few days ago.

First of all, thank you to all of you who have helped me with my silly questions (lots more of them to come, no doubt). There seems to be a great community here with extensive knowledge. Looking forward to learning as much as possible.

I absolutely love the car, and I plan to drive it at least once a week. I will be keeping the car completely standard also.

I've posted a few picks below and I've spent the weekend reading through the manual, however I do have a few questions which are not in the manual.

Questions

01 - Cold Start: on a cold start, how long should you leave the car, before putting it in gear and driving off?

02 - Cold Start: on cold startup, do you give the car a little gas too, or just turn the ignition (the manual states to give it some gas on a warm startup, but I'm not sure what is the best practice for a cold startup?

03 - Oil Check: how often should you check the oil in the car. I understand you need to warm the car up completely with a drive, and then check it as soon as you turn it off... but what is a recommend schedule... do they drink oil?

04 - Key: can anyone recommend a website where you can order blank spare keys so I can cut a new set?

05 - Key: can anyone recommend a website where you can also order the key end (the black plastic Ferrari piece)?

06 - Electric Windows: my electric windows are a little slow (which is fine), however I am concerned that there might be too much pressure on the drivers that move the window, as the cable snapped for me before on an old BMW. Is this normal, or should it be fine.

07 - Trickle Charger: can anyone recommend a trickle charger for the Testarossa. I've never had one for a car before, so this will be a first.

08 - New Wheel Centre Crests: can anyone recommend a supplier who supplies official crests for the Testarossa?

09 - New Wheel Centre Crests: is it possible to pop them out without needing to take the wheels off?

10 - Reliability & Maintenance: I've done quite a lot of reading about the Testarossa over the last number of months. Most people say it is quite a reliable car. I also noticed that some people say it is more reliable than a 355 and 360 which I find strange considering they are much newer models. That aside, any other tips on keeping the car operating well and well maintained? Anything to check regularly or watch out for?

Photos

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Thanks again for all of your help, it is much appreciated.

2. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    Congrats brother!

oo7ml and Loudoun_Prime like this.
  3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Long enough to confirm that you have engine oil pressure and the engine isn't making any horrible noises ;). I'm not a fan of long cold idling warm-up -- better to just drive gently when cold.

I believe that manual note is actually only for the early euro TR with K-Jet injection and just wrongly got copied over into the later euro TR OMs with KE-Jet injection. Also, it is for "very hot" restarts, not "warm" restarts. You don't mention your TR model year nor show an engine bay pic, but based on the 5-lug wheels and the two low-mounted mirror, I'd guess that yours is a later euro TR with KE-Jet injection (the engine family is shown on the top of the engine block at cyl #6: euro K-Jet = F113A or F113A000; euro KE-Jet = F113B or F113B000). If yours is a F113B engine = you shouldn't need to touch the acc. pedal at all for cold starts or warm restarts (if everything is working correctly).

Mine doesn't, and it holds so much engine oil that, unless you are at the track or on a speed limitless Autobahn/Autostrade, you'd never know if it was 3 liters low.

I'd say "no" without damaging them, but, if you don't care about keeping the old ones, they could be removed (like by drilling a hole thru them or driving a wood screw into them to have something to pull on).

oo7ml and Loudoun_Prime like this.
  4. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Congrats ! Protect that leather outside ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oo7ml likes this.
  5. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Nice ride! But you should get that steering wheel fixed, it's on the wrong side.

I can share my technique for number 01. I never owned a TR but I did have three others including two V-12's.

You have an water temperature gauge and an oil temperature gauge.

Start the car, do not start to drive until the water temperature comes up to the first mark.

Shift 1st to 3rd until oil temperature comes up to first mark.

I think these two simple instructions are an way way to be good to your motor and transmission.

peteficarra, john a barnes and oo7ml like this.
  6. oo7ml

oo7ml Karting

Dec 4, 2018
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks all, much appreciated.

Looking forward to learning more and more.

7. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Sure looks like a nice one

oo7ml likes this.
  8. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Congrats! But your car has the incorrect number of side mirrors..... :)

oo7ml likes this.
  9. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Welcome to the madness!

oo7ml likes this.
  10. Jonny English

Jonny English Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2017
    Poole, Dorset
    Full Name:
    Jon
    well done 007 .. mine arrives on the 23rd. We chatted on pistonheads. Looks stunning, like your 930 too.

oo7ml likes this.
  11. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    Congratulations on your Testatrossa and welcome to FerrariChat. The members here, especially this section, are extremely knowledgeable and helpful. Some have a few sharp edges but even so, are still great people.

I use CTEK (https://smartercharger.com/) and have been using for years. IIRC, many car companies rebrand them and I think Ferrari did as well.

Ricambi (https://www.ricambiamerica.com/) is where I purchased mine from a few years back.

I find this site (http://truedriverscar.com/) to be extremely helpful, maybe you will too.

oo7ml and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  12. oo7ml

oo7ml Karting

Dec 4, 2018
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Super, thank you for all of this.

@Jonny English - looking forward to seeing your car

13. MM355

MM355 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2008
    GMT + 3
    Congratulations on this fine example, enjoy it in good health.

oo7ml likes this.
  14. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Awesome! I, too, am torn between a modern, reliable, (boring?) 458 and something older with more character. Given that most people aren't getting much driving done lately and don't exactly use a Ferrari as a grocery-getter, I applaud your choice of the interesting!

oo7ml likes this.
  15. autobrains

autobrains Rookie

Apr 25, 2016
    Minden, NV
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #15 autobrains, Sep 10, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    Congratulations!

The cat delete pipe from sharkwerks will give that GT4 a mean crackle and more sound but is short on sound quality. We did a Milltek cat back on the last one that came through the shop.

I concur with Sixcarbs reccomendation of 1st to 3rd, provided first engages smoothly (dont be a hamfist you'll be fine) The 80's vintage cars are known for their sensitive transmission forks (mondial, 328 etc) as well as not wanting to go into first prior to being warmed up (many take off in second as is common and I believe per dealer recc).

Superformance in the UK can get you many spares for the TR.

I recommend to not touch the fuel prior to start, your CIS injection has a cold start injector and the system should operate unassisted (though the cold start and air slide valves can be problematic).

You can check the oil when you fill up the petrol.

Expect some attention and conversations in parking lots and gas stations, you are far more approachable in a TR than a 458.

Theres nothing quite like 12cyl and a gated shifter!

There are several exhausts out there that sound good and accompanying sound clips on youtube should you get the itch (Tubi, Capristo, etc.)

80's windows are slow due to undersized wiring and poor fuse box design, there are some upgraded / rebuilt exchange fuse box units available, the window wiring can be bypassed out of the fuse box, replaced, and setup on an external relay to offer more modern speeds.

Reliability; most older vehicles tend to be more reliable when driven often (weekly).

Other than regular maintenance / wear and tear (axle boots, arm bushings, shift selector seal, axle seals, the pcv and oil drain back hoses, corroded egt bungs at manifolds, catalyst and manifolds, (if equipped iirc euro are not)) these are pretty reliable.

Always have a fire extinguisher.

Enjoy!

16. Sav35

Sav35 Rookie

Dec 21, 2018
    Full Name:
    Marcos
    Congrats! Amazing choice!!!

oo7ml likes this.
  17. john a barnes

john a barnes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2018
    muskego wi
    Full Name:
    John a Barnes
    The TR looks like the Bees-Nees next to that 911. And it takes up the whole road in that one Pic. Happy motoring!

oo7ml likes this.
  18. Bcy288

Bcy288 Rookie

Feb 27, 2020

19. Bcy288

Bcy288 Rookie

Feb 27, 2020
    After owning a bunch of Porsche’s over the years as well, from a 944S to a 997TurboS, I also spent a long time thinking about trying out an F-car & choosing between classic & new. I split the difference & got what I think is turning into a modern classic IMHO. 430 Scuderia. Brilliant sound, go-kart feel (think cayman r but way more engaging), super precise (like gt3 but more power & emotion). Good luck!

john a barnes and oo7ml like this.
  20. retinaldoc

retinaldoc Rookie

Feb 19, 2014
    DFW

Congratulations! I have a 458 currently and am shopping around for a Testarossa. Any tips on what to look for? How did you choose the two mirror vs. the single mirror, etc. I live in Dallas, USA so of course there will be some differences. Tosh

oo7ml likes this.
  21. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Go 512 tr!

Auraraptor likes this.
  22. eziotestarossa

eziotestarossa Karting

Mar 28, 2014
    Delray Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Ezio
    Awesome! Congratulations, enjoy it! I'm actually thinking of selling mine now. I've enjoyed it for many years. Its a great car, super fun to drive & definitely a head turner. Maintenance on the Testarossa is very important & can cost a pretty penny, unless you're capable of doing most of the work on your own or know a reliable mechanic you can trust & charges a decent hourly rate. From experience this is what I can recommend:

- I recommend you update your fuse box if it hasn't already been done.

- The Testarossa's paint is very very delicate. Single stage paint process was used to paint the Testarossa which means it has no clear coat. Don't let anyone just buff this car, because it'll turn into a disaster! Get someone who is familiar with single stage paint. I'm getting my Testarossa paint corrected by a professional at the moment and hes done about 36Hours of work until now. Use special soaps to wash the car, PH Balanced etc.

- Upgrade your differential carrier if it hasn't already been upgraded. These cars are prone to diff failure. The last thing you want to happen is have the diff fail on you while you're driving ! It'll cost you a lot more if it snaps & pieces of metal ruin your crown wheel. Theres many other threads that talk about diff failure. You definitely can get all the info you need concerning the diff in this forum.

- The engine out service is also very important on these cars. Don't think that because you don't drive it often you don't need to drop the engine to do the timing belts. Make sure when you do the engine out that the mechanic is familiar with the Testarossa and takes a look at everything ! like the water pump, ac compressor, engine mounts etc.

I just recently moved to FL & got my car serviced from the dealer, full engine out service and new clutch has costed me $16,000 :-D I Hate the car when I think about it, but fall in love with it again when I see it.

You'll understand what I mean, you'll experience the same Love Hate relationship with your car!

23. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Stunning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eziotestarossa and oo7ml like this.
  24. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    I might consider selling my 90. 13k miles and it is a top shelf car with two sets of wheels and tires. Original 512Tr and stock. Huge difference in looks
    and tire selection is much broader. Just spent 5k on the a/c getting all the front lines and components replaced and flushed. R12 is very cold now. Its a doll
    and I think its just been 3 years since the engine out with new clutch. I am in the Dallas area as well.

George Vosburgh likes this.
  25. rolvail

rolvail Karting

Jan 4, 2009
    Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    Rol Hamelin