In Tank fuel filter | FerrariChat

In Tank fuel filter

Discussion in '308/328' started by TommyA, Sep 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    The in tank fuel filter has fallen apart on my 82 308. Has anyone been able to source the filter?
    Thank you
    Glad that I have decided to check the filter while everything was out.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Try a search using the term "fuel sock" for some prior threads -- this issue has come up before.

3. DinoParts, Stefan

Sponsor

Mar 1, 2015
    Eschwege, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stefan Kratzer
    If you meassure the tube where it slides on I might have a solution.

4. J-P

J-P Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2007
    #4 J-P, Sep 10, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    Saabguy likes this.
  5. J-P

J-P Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2007
  6. J-P

J-P Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2007
  7. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    Fuel filter ID 15mm
    OD 18mm

8. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    #8 mwr4440, Sep 15, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    Algar has the screen for sale.

It is 100 or 120 mesh.

A little on the steep side ($18.00) but if ya need it YA NEED IT.

Frankly, I think Ferrari 'Screwed the Pooch' putting that thing on the INSIDE of the tank.

The rats maze of sinks, rises and 'blind' allies inside of those tanks are AMAZING. Trapping dirt INSIDE Those Tanks is the LAST THING any SANE Person would WANT to Do.

9. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    Actually my problem might work to my benefit. I was going with all AN hoses and fittings and MB is making a couple of complete units just like Porsche Image Unavailable, Please Login as long as the size of the nut is the same size..

10. DinoParts, Stefan

Sponsor

Mar 1, 2015
    Eschwege, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stefan Kratzer
    I had a littel hope that you could use this one but the OD is 22 here. Probably I can modify it on the lathe if you need a quick solution.

11. Glenn308QVturbo

Sep 20, 2017
    Full Name:
    Glenn Orell
    I had the same problem on my 308 a few years ago. Mechanic friend recommended going down and getting a generic fuel strainer at Napa and zip tying it to the original tube. I was skeptical that the zip tie would dissolve in the gas but I tested it and worked out fine. The tank developed a leak in a weld a year later and while it was out I pulled the strainer and all was fine. Been driving it like this for three years and works great.

thorn and Saabguy like this.
  12. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    I have checked with Algar and was told that is no longer available.

13. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Sorry Buddy. :(

But a good hardware store has it I bet.

A fellow FChatter found 100 mesh over here that he is gunna use with no issue whatsoever.

14. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Any generic equivalent mesh is going to do the job just fine. No need to worry about NLA OEM.

15. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Which year model cars have these filters?

16. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    Well.. mine is an 82. I believe the TR has it also

17. Glenn308QVturbo

Sep 20, 2017
    Full Name:
    Glenn Orell
    My car is a 83 QV but I would assume that most if not all 308's use a similar strainer. Don't know if it failed from age or ethanol fuel, but when it did it clogged the fuel pump destroying it. As our cars are all 35 to 45 years old its worth checking. It cost me a $300 fuel pump.

18. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    The part # is 116870. It seems pricy on the sites that list a cost, over $150 USD. And to answer my own question it looks like it fits all 208/308/328 variants.

19. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    My 82 Alfa Spider has one.

20. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Virtually every gasoline-powered car has some sort of "strainer" in the path from the gas tank outlet to fuel pump inlet (to catch the big stuff, if any).

waymar likes this.
  21. RodC328gts

RodC328gts Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2021
    Mexico
    Full Name:
    Rod C
    I have not checked my screen. But I’m learning for future reference.

other idea would be to remove that and install a external filter before the pump

22. s219

s219 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2021

Most external filters are meant to be on a pressurized line, whereas the in-tank strainer (and everything upstream of the fuel pump) is under suction. So that would be important to work out and make sure the external filter is appropriate. It would need to be fairly coarse media to work on a suction line.

When I replaced the fuel pump on my 87 328, I looked inside the tank strainer from the outside with a lighted scope camera, and it looked fine visually. So I didn't mess with it. I recall reading of a few folks who broke it off when trying to remove, and that would turn into a much bigger job to deal with.

RodC328gts likes this.
  23. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
  24. bill308

bill308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2001
    Windsor, CT
    Full Name:
    Bill Sebestyen
    I need to deal with this issue too. One thing to remember, flow is from tank to pump. A Soft sock filter would tend to collapse and choke flow entering the end of the tube. The filter needs to be stiff or otherwise supported. The purpose of this filter is to prevent relatively large chunks of debris from obstructing flow.
    I was going to cut and form a cylinder of stainless steel screen with one end capped. I could overlap and silver solder the edge seam. Bond or wrap the cylinder with safety wire to the fitting. Seems like a lot of work. My work around is to install the current tank fitting without a filter, but fit a down stream, transparent, disposable filter. This could be placed before or after the fuel pump. The tanks are clean.

Du_Man likes this.
  25. s219

s219 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2021
    Well, the filter needs to be before the fuel pump, because the main purpose of the in-tank filter screen is to protect the pump (there is a proper fine-scale filter after the pump that is meant to protect the rest of the system, whether carbs or fuel injection). The in-tank filter screen mainly prevents larger debris from affecting the pump.

And as I mentioned up above, the filter needs to be capable of handling suction. Those transparent plastic fuel filters are not and may collapse and/or suck down the filter media. Definitely check the specs of any external filter to make sure it can handle the suction of the pump (you can lookup ∆P and flow rate specs for most fuel pumps to get an idea).

Most of the socks I have seen mentioned here are meant to be stretched over a screen or strainer frame of some sort. Should work OK as long as they are properly supported over a large surface area.