PSA - Possible new source for rear calipers | FerrariChat

PSA - Possible new source for rear calipers

Discussion in '308/328' started by SteveG75, Nov 4, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SteveG75

SteveG75 Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2010
    FL
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    #1 SteveG75, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hey, was looking for some pistons for my front caliper rebuild and found a possible new source for rear calipers.

Rock Auto, yup, Rock Auto. They are selling Centric remanufactured calipers for the 308 at $99.97+$200 core per. Mine are good but for anyone needing calipers, hope this helps.

They also list the pistons if you need them for a rebuild at about $25 each.

Edit: JUST TRIED TO ORDER AND NOTHING IS IN STOCK. SORRY FOR THE BAD INFO.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    I think WorldPac can get rear calipers. Thought they were 911 calipers in the rear? I need to look at (my) cross reference thread. duh.

3. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    IIRC Porsche 914 rear calipers are the same ATE but the e-brake cable hook up is located at the bottom of the caliper rather than the top.

4. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    Thanks for trying Steve. I have had similar experiences with Rock Auto. Still, I think they are a good company with good values.

5. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Has anyone checked with Centric to see if they are still making them??

6. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    can't find these in stock anywhere

7. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Not quite 914, it's the 914-6 GT version - the difference is the spacers between the caliper halves to account for the width of the brake rotors.

PMB Performance in Utah has a rebuild service for the 308 rear calipers, $325 per pair using your cores. https://www.pmbperformance.com/FerrariBrakes/GT_Ferrari_308.html

At one point PMB sold an aluminum version of the rear 308 caliper, saved a couple of pounds of unsprung weight per caliper! I don't see that listed for the 914-6 or 308 any more, though.

Their FAQ section has an extremely helpful part about how to adjust the rear calipers: https://www.pmbperformance.com/faq-common-questions.html#170215
    You refurbished a pair of 914-6 (this applies to 914-4 and Ferrari 308's as well) calipers for me a little over a year ago but I am just getting around to adjusting the pad to rotor distance for the e-brake. I loosened the 13 mm nut with your special tool but using it and a 4mm allen head I get no change in clearance at all. I turn but nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?
    First, let's make sure we get the directions for each adjuster down pat:
    Outer Adjuster:
    Clockwise - Pulls the piston (and pad) in and away from the rotor.
    Counter - Clockwise - Pushes the piston (and pad) out and toward the rotor.
    Inner Adjuster (this is driven by a gear that makes all actions reverse from above):
    Clockwise - Pushes the piston (and pad) out and toward the rotor.
    Counter - Clockwise - Pulls the piston (and pad) in and away from the rotor.
    Adjusters can become tight (like a drywall screw in a stud) after sitting. Once this happens, the internal mechanism (in the piston itself) is spinning with the adjuster and, nothing happens. The best principle we've found is, short bursts with a high speed air wrench. Air wrenches are almost instant velocity. This velocity will overcome the weight of the adjuster mechanism and break the adjuster free allowing you to adjust your pistons again. Make sure you are spinning in the direction to loosen the part meaning "pushing the piston out". Tightening will only further exasperate the situation.
    If you do not have a high speed air wrench, a drill can work as well. If all else fails, send them in and we'll break everything free, give them a clean bill of health and send them back.​